Sun Bowl cancelled

97and03

22 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I wonder why they weren't able to move to a different location for the year similar to the NM Bowl

They aren't making great choices out in EP these days it seems. Any number of venues would have gladly taken the opportunity for a lot of reasons. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think for the Sun Bowl it as much about giving back to the community as anything. My guess is that their main goal was just not to be able to say "we played the game", but actually have an event that gave back to the community. There are many other local activities and events that coordinate with the Sun Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

I guess it would have been UTEP vs Ok State in the sun bowl this year and since the game is not being played UTEP wins by forfeit and is the winner of the 2020 Sun Bowl.  

Growing up in EP I say a lot of good teams play in the Sun Bowl when there were not a million bowl games. Saw Dorsett and Johnny Rogers play in the game, not against each other.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think for the Sun Bowl it as much about giving back to the community as anything. My guess is that their main goal was just not to be able to say "we played the game", but actually have an event that gave back to the community. There are many other local activities and events that coordinate with the Sun Bowl. 

My dad was involved with the Sun Bowl for years. Its about money. If by giving back you mean filling hotels, TV deals, filling up restaurants, bars, ticket, sales, events, ect. Then yes. Financially it gives to the community. The current decision to not move it means not a dime is made. All the stuff surrounding it is fun and obviously not happening this year but there's something to be said for saying we played it in light of everything. Especially to say we are a very old but important bowl so we are playing it. Regardless if for one game. Could have been cool to sell its history and EP. My thoughts anyway. 

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I guess it would have been UTEP vs Ok State in the sun bowl this year and since the game is not being played UTEP wins by forfeit and is the winner of the 2020 Sun Bowl.  

Growing up in EP I say a lot of good teams play in the Sun Bowl when there were not a million bowl games. Saw Dorsett and Johnny Rogers play in the game, not against each other.

I use to love going to the Sun Bowl growing up too. Good times back then. The Sun Bowl seems to have lost its luster in a sea of bowl games kinda like you said. Great memories. 

3 hours ago, techdawg88 said:

I personally think we won't have any bowl games this year that aren't playoffs. We can't even finish a season and people are worried about which bowl game we'll go to?

And given that most are in sunny states that aren’t really managing the pandemic well, that might be the right call. Attendance won’t help the communities and viewers don’t care much about minor bowls. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1