Do We Sign A Grad Transfer QB?

BillySee58

Do we sign a grad transfer QB?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do we sign a grad transfer QB?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Despite a slew of injuries at the quarterback position last fall, Gilmore was never really a viable candidate to start. When asked about possibly inserting the freshman, head coach Mark Stoops said that Gilmore "has a ways to go."

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/Kentucky-football-Amani-Gilmore-transfer-portal-146906243/

I had a feeling someone would mention Shanbour and I think he is probably doing fine, and we also added Dane Evans as a GA to help. Not sure it is the same as a position coach with lots of experience. I think there are also rules on what kind of coach can do what kind of coaching. I don’t know all the rules (I recall non-position coaches like “quality control” coaches don’t coach on the field, right?) but it could be less hands on. 

Evans leaves to go back to Canada after the season because of the CFL (from what I was told, it could be wrong), so I don’t know how that will impact that coaching position.

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

There’s a right way and a wrong way to turn over your roster. Being transparent with players when there isn’t a realistic path to them getting playing time, and helping them get on at an FCS, JUCO, etc. is not foul. It happens now, there is just going to be more of it happening than pre COVID. 

I think as the rules on transferring loosen up you will see more and more programs do like basketball (a lot of players are asked to leave, especially when their are coaching changes) and encourage players to seek other options if they have a chance to pick up what they think is a better player via transfer. If people think the schools are not going to protect themselves if they are open to having players transfer out they are not being realistic. Schools are not going to sit back and put all of the leverage with the players.

I am not in favor of a one-time transfer waiver at any time. If they do it, IMO, it should be after the 2nd year of the class you joined with, and there should be a window of when you can apply for the "no-wait" transfer. Whatever the rules end up being, I hope UNT is ready to play the  game.

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not beating a dead horse enough because I didn't know that!

As for the highlighted... I mean,  I dunno how good of a QB's coach Wallis was, but Shanbour is going to be a very good coach, and is probably doing just as good of a job (if not better) than Wallis would have.

I agree Shanbour looks to be on the road to being a really good coach, but taking the green glasses off for a moment, we need t find the best available coach we can find to help develop the talent. If it's him, great. If not, I hope we find a place for him to continue to learn.