Do We Sign A Grad Transfer QB?

BillySee58

Do we sign a grad transfer QB?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do we sign a grad transfer QB?

• Yes
    • No

Do you think we will try and bring in a grad transfer QB to take over next season? This could even be a QB who hasn’t graduated yet as the NCAA is set to allow players to transfer once without needing to take a sit out season.

Note that RS FR QB Amani Gilmore will be eligible for next season after transferring from Kentucky but the question is asking if we will add someone else.

Edited by BillySee58

I say yes and that will weed out people who get beat out.

I personally think Aune needs to just hang it up after this year. He’ll be turning like 28, and I think it’s just time to move on.

I would love to see the competition within the program already, but I don’t have that much trust in any of them at all. We can’t have games where Bean absolutely sucks and we pull him to put in someone else, then start the other guy until he sucks and then start the cycle again. That’s not a normal football thing to do.

I would love to land a grad transfer that actually did something where he was at (Alec Morris was not it)

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I think finding a Grad Transfer for next year - or - a QB in the portal for interim years, is the best option.   Seems to me that that QBs that are talented, and likely feel like the writing is on the wall that they're not going to start, are likely to want to make a move more than other positions.   Sure, we need to do a better job recruiting Freshmen, and developing the into starters.   But Jeez our system seems to be broken and honestly, this year has been so crazy, I dont even down know what we have in the "down-ballot" of young QBs.    Seems like getting some guys in here with experience for a couple seasons is a worthy time investment. 

Forgive me if this question has been asked before...But has anyone discussed the idea of Bean being converted to receiver possibly?  He's Tall, crazy fast...I know he'd need to put some weight on him, but thoughts?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Play Bean the last few games and see what he does. Could it be that the game plan that this team is given and motivation to play and WIN ain't be delivered?

I’m fine with this, but it seems with Bean the best strategy is a run/read option heavy offense. Which, if we can win with that, that’s fine, but with the talent that we have recruited at receiver and tight end over the years that would leave us with a lot of untapped potential offensively. Is there someone available who can get the ball to those guys and still keep the rushing game strong and multifaceted? Could Gilmore or Drummond be that guy or would we need to look externally?

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We already have a lot of scholarships dedicated to QBs next year. Not sure we add another. 

Because the transfer rule is changing, this has the potential to be as much roster turnover as we have ever seen across the country. I’m partly with you on this, but I feel like it’s going to depend on a few things. Who is available, can returning guys win our coaches over, and how strongly do the coaches feel about Gilmore and Drummond?

With such a logjam of underclass men QB, it wouldn’t be a surprise at all to see a couple leave. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m fine with this, but it seems with Bean the best strategy is a run/read option heavy offense. Which, if we can win with that, that’s fine, but with the talent that we have recruited at receiver and tight end over the years that would leave us with a lot of untapped potential offensively. Is there someone available who can get the ball to those guys and still keep the rushing game strong and multifaceted? Could Gilmore or Drummond be that guy or would we need to look externally?

Because the transfer rule is changing, this has the potential to be as much roster turnover as we have ever seen across the country. I’m partly with you on this, but I feel like it’s going to depend on a few things. Who is available, can returning guys win our coaches over, and how strongly do the coaches feel about Gilmore and Drummond?

With such a logjam of underclass men QB, it wouldn’t be a surprise at all to see a couple leave. 

Gilmore's H.S. tape is impressive.  I like him alot. 

And if we can possibly keep Bloesch (judging by results, he's the best coach on this staff), whoever wins the starting QB job next season is going to have nice pockets to throw from, and this OL is young as-is... they'll only get better.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Gilmore's H.S. tape is impressive.  I like him alot. 

And if we can possibly keep Bloesch (judging by results, he's the best coach on this staff), whoever wins the starting QB job next season is going to have nice pockets to throw from, and this OL is young as-is... they'll only get better.

I know I kind of keep beating this dead horse but it still worries me that his last team chose to keep Gilmore on the bench and start a WR at quarterback instead. That just doesn’t give me a lot of confidence. And we don’t have a real QB coach this year to help him improve. 

• Upvote 2

I think they have to do the diligence and see if they can grab one. Recruiting is the lifeblood of an organization, and that includes grad transfers. 

We can build for the future, but part of the future right now. More losses and yo-yo-ing the QB spot is not conducive to building the culture of winning here. 

For what it is worth, I like both Bean and Aune and (as I've said previously on the twitter, MGN, and the podcast) I would rather SL let them work it out on the field. If they play horribly over one game, then bench him, start the next guy the next week. (I like this better than in-game switching, but I prefer them to have one guy). 

Short version: Yeah, let's see if we can't get a grad transfer in here. The caveat is that for every Burrow, Minshew, et al there are plenty of Pigrome, Alec Morris', and what have you. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I know I kind of keep beating this dead horse but it still worries me that his last team chose to keep Gilmore on the bench and start a WR at quarterback instead. That just doesn’t give me a lot of confidence. And we don’t have a real QB coach this year to help him improve. 

Not beating a dead horse enough because I didn't know that!

As for the highlighted... I mean,  I dunno how good of a QB's coach Wallis was, but Shanbour is going to be a very good coach, and is probably doing just as good of a job (if not better) than Wallis would have.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for the highlighted... I mean,  I dunno how good of a QB's coach Wallis was, but Shanbour is going to be a very good coach, and is probably doing just as good of a job (if not better) than Wallis would have.

Shanbour and Evans have the ability to coach these kids up, but we didn't have spring ball or anything like a normal fall camp.  I am not ready to give up on Bean, but he needs some the benefit of Spring/Fall ball and a summer to work with his receivers.

I think Martin and Aune leave after this year and we end up with a depth chart that looks something like:

Bean

Gilmore

Kuehne

Drummond (redshirt year)

I am not ready to give up on Bean as Littrell has developed QB's in the past and I would like to see Bean with the benefit of a normal season/off season.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree that Shanbour has the makings of a good assistant however, losing Wallis hurts us more in recruiting than anything else. 

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Despite a slew of injuries at the quarterback position last fall, Gilmore was never really a viable candidate to start. When asked about possibly inserting the freshman, head coach Mark Stoops said that Gilmore "has a ways to go."

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/Kentucky-football-Amani-Gilmore-transfer-portal-146906243/

I had a feeling someone would mention Shanbour and I think he is probably doing fine, and we also added Dane Evans as a GA to help. Not sure it is the same as a position coach with lots of experience. I think there are also rules on what kind of coach can do what kind of coaching. I don’t know all the rules (I recall non-position coaches like “quality control” coaches don’t coach on the field, right?) but it could be less hands on. 

Edited by 97and03

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agree that Shanbour has the makings of a good assistant however, losing Wallis hurts us more in recruiting than anything else. 

Makings? Shanbour has been coaching the QB's since about the second year he was here. Canales turned that job over to him when he was here. I remember a few springs ago when I was watching a scrimmage and sitting next to me was Cade Pearson's (Texarkana High QB #10 on your program) dad who was a coach at Texas High. We were discussing the QB's on the team, and when I finally came to Shanbour the guy got very animated. The short of it was that he thought that QS had done more for his son's development than any of the coaches on staff. Not only did he think that QS was a potential great coach, but he thought he was one of the finest human beings he had ever met. 

SO, besides being a very knowledgeable position coach, Coach Pearson's assessment of his personality and character leads me to think that Mr. Shanbour could also be an above average recruiter.

BTW, how actively involved are the GA's in the recruitment process?

Edited by SilverEagle

8 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I had a feeling someone would mention Shanbour and I think he is probably doing fine, and we also added Dane Evans as a GA to help. Not sure it is the same as a position coach with lots of experience. I think there are also rules on what kind of coach can do what kind of coaching. I don’t know all the rules (I recall non-position coaches like “quality control” coaches don’t coach on the field, right?) but it could be less hands on. 

I don't think Wallis was ever a QBs coach at the college level though.   I think he was only WRs coach at Baylor for 2-3 years before being fired for recruiting violations.  So I doubt he was making a huge impact anyway.

And I've seen Shanbour on the field calling/relaying plays and coaching up the QBs every game I've been to this season so far.

But yes, @Harry's point about having 1 less recruiter on the trail is probably the biggest detriment to not having a QBs coach.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Makings? Shanbour has been coaching the QB's since about the second year he was here. Canales turned that job over to him when he was here. I remember a few springs ago when I was watching a scrimmage and sitting next to me was Cade Pearson's (Texarkana High QB #10 on your program) dad who was a coach at Texas High. We were discussing the QB's on the team, and when I finally came to Shanbour the guy got very animated. The short of it was that he thought that QS had done more for his son's development than any of the coaches on staff. Not only did he think that QS was a potential great coach, but he thought he was one of the finest human beings he had ever met. 

SO, besides being a very knowledgeable position coach, Coach Pearson's assessment of his personality and character leads me to think that Mr. Shanbour could also be an above average recruiter.

BTW, how actively involved are the GA's in the recruitment process?

I believe they aren't able to recruit at all outside of any interactions they may have with the players during their on-campus visits.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

12 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I say yes and that will weed out people who get beat out.

So we should not honor scholarships for players that don't hit the field as a starter? Is that really good for the person and the program? Interesting perspective. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

So we should not honor scholarships for players that don't hit the field as a starter? Is that really good for the person and the program? Interesting perspective. 

Unless the NCAA allows more than 85 scholarships beyond 2021, and starts allowing more than 25 scholarships per class, this is going to start happening a lot more everywhere out of necessity. If it doesn’t, there are going to be far less scholarships available for high school kids.

Teams are allowed 85 scholarship players who are not seniors next season, so hypothetically they could retain the same 85 in 2022 that they had in 2021. Where is the room for 2022 high school recruits if that happens? Is it fair for high school kids, good enough to play D1, unable to sign because players they are better than are hanging on at schools for 6 years because of the extra COVID season? Someone is getting screwed regardless.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Someone is getting screwed regardless.

Absolutely - including that programs are bleeding money and the way Texas restricts financing of athletics to purely donation based ... someone is going to get screwed.  However, it being a programs philosophy to actively weed out kids and show them the door when we presented and granted a scholarships - that is a different story. 

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

While I agree with the general thought here, let's not act like they chose a random WR to play QB instead of Gilmore.  Lynn Bowden was a 4 star recruit/all-state QB in high school, ended last season as a 1st team All-American at QB, was a 3rd round pick in this year's draft and was probably the best player on Kentucky.  I would hope that if we were down to our 3rd/4th/5th string QB and had a guy like that on our team we would play him at QB instead of a true freshman who the coaching staff felt needed a redshirt year.

I'm not sold on Gilmore yet either, but I don't think we can fault his ability because of how that situation played out.

21 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Absolutely - including that programs are bleeding money and the way Texas restricts financing of athletics to purely donation based ... someone is going to get screwed.  However, it being a programs philosophy to actively weed out kids and show them the door when we presented and granted a scholarships - that is a different story. 

There’s a right way and a wrong way to turn over your roster. Being transparent with players when there isn’t a realistic path to them getting playing time, and helping them get on at an FCS, JUCO, etc. is not foul. It happens now, there is just going to be more of it happening than pre COVID. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT18Grad said:

While I agree with the general thought here, let's not act like they chose a random WR to play QB instead of Gilmore.  Lynn Bowden was a 4 star recruit/all-state QB in high school, ended last season as a 1st team All-American at QB, was a 3rd round pick in this year's draft and was probably the best player on Kentucky.  I would hope that if we were down to our 3rd/4th/5th string QB and had a guy like that on our team we would play him at QB instead of a true freshman who the coaching staff felt needed a redshirt year.

I'm not sold on Gilmore yet either, but I don't think we can fault his ability because of how that situation played out.

I mean, I get what you are saying. He is in the NFL now - as a WR. He was really pretty much a Wildcat QB last year from what I can tell. 185 rushing attempts to 74 passing attempts (and a 47 percent completion percentage). 
So he was moved to WR for a reason in the first place. And the coaches were more comfortable putting him back there to run. Which is ok and maybe what Seth needs to do here with Bean. 

Do I think we should? Yes. 

Do I think we will? No.

I think with our QB’s still being young eligibility wise and with Gilmore being eligible and Drummond coming in I don’t see this staff going out to get a transfer QB. Just my honest opinion. I don’t think our answer to the QB issue is on campus which is why I would love to get a transfer QB but I just think we will not get one

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 1