DRC: UTEP suspends football activities, putting game with UNT in doubt

Brett Vito

13 hours ago, outoftown said:

I am sure that UAB is writing, calling and sending the associate AD in a car to the conference offices as we speak, to make sure NT plays UAB if UTEP can't

UAB plays Rice on Dec 12th. My best bet would be Western Kentucky who have no games on the Dec 5th and Dec 12th.

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Is Dimel one of the small pockets of society that thinks the entire COVID situation is a hoax, including the actual virus itself? Because it kinda seems that way.

From watching a bit of this source interview, it doesn't sound like he's a complete denier. It does however seem like he doesn't have the capacity for nuance and cascading decision making to understand the consequences of his planning, even when he knew about Rice's mandate for testing upon arrival months in advance.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

If they can't play the game, they should have to forfeit.

I honestly think the conference should look into that because they asked for it. They wanted others to forfeit. At a minimum conference officials should put out a guideline during these odd time to shut up individuals like those guys. Everyone else has acted like adults. Sad part is that game could have been played on NT's dime in Denton. Oh well...

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

They have recent titles in XC and T&F.  Lots of history there, but I know that is not a money sport nor important in your view @NorthTexasSportsNetwork

Probably will never have a great budget, they are what they are: lots of tradition but it will be hard for them to find consistent success in any of the money sports.

I don't know about their media market value, but just from an attendance perspective I think they are great.  Even in the worst years they have numbers (home and away) that are admirable.

The rifle program has a long history of All-Americans and records, but CUSA doesn't sponsor that sport.  They compete in separate league, living in the shadow of TCU...the nation's top program.

I know when there is a ton of money involved, people and fans desperately want to push forward.  But life has taught me that you cannot disregard the past...even if it is far away.  We should always embrace history and traditions, and UTEP has a lot of it.

I know I'm biased, but I do not share in any view that lumps them in with UTSA.  My fondest college sports memories are mostly in Denton, but when those El Paso venues are full...they are rocking at an unbelievable level. Especially The Don Haskins Center!  I do not get that feeling of potential  from UTSA as long as they are playing in someone else's venue.

I hope one day to see the same atmosphere in The Super Pit that I saw in El Paso, growing up watching them compete in T25 matchups with UNM, BYU, and Co.

I believe that as long as we have Grant on our bench, we are well on our way.

Just my 0.02.  Scattershootin' and not really knowing what leagues value lately.  I do know this:  Judy has a knack for ruining things.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

They have recent titles in XC and T&F.  Lots of history there, but I know that is not a money sport nor important in your view @NorthTexasSportsNetwork

Probably will never have a great budget, they are what they are: lots of tradition but it will be hard for them to find consistent success in any of the money sports.

I don't know about their media market value, but just from an attendance perspective I think they are great.  Even in the worst years they have numbers (home and away) that are admirable.

The rifle program has a long history of All-Americans and records, but CUSA doesn't sponsor that sport.  They compete in separate league, living in the shadow of TCU...the nation's top program.

I know when there is a ton of money involved, people and fans desperately want to push forward.  But life has taught me that you cannot disregard the past...even if it is far away.  We should always embrace history and traditions, and UTEP has a lot of it.

I know I'm biased, but I do not share in any view that lumps them in with UTSA.  My fondest college sports memories are mostly in Denton, but when those El Paso venues are full...they are rocking at an unbelievable level. Especially The Don Haskins Center!  I do not get that feeling of potential  from UTSA as long as they are playing in someone else's venue.

I hope one day to see the same atmosphere in The Super Pit that I saw in El Paso, growing up watching them compete in T25 matchups with UNM, BYU, and Co.

I believe that as long as we have Grant on our bench, we are well on our way.

Just my 0.02.  Scattershootin' and not really knowing what leagues value lately.  I do know this:  Judy has a knack for ruining things.

Oh yeah I completely understand your perspective. I was really talking about the more notable sports, but I do value the smaller successes within programs.

They have waited down the conference over the past 4 years in about every sport minus T&F (conference champs). You look at the landscape of the conference, and it’s so poor in so many aspects wether it’s attendance, money, wins/losses.

I know their attendance is terrific in CUSA standards, and they are a pretty profitable team (market wise I have no clue) with the money games they have.

Now, my overall point of the tweet was this. Their administration and coaching staff is clearly clueless and ignorant to today’s society. From the testing, to not knowing how to negotiate with others, to making embarrassing decisions and statements that are so irresponsible.

I would love them in this conference if they could have some sort of success and/or athletic department that can make decisions, but that has been proven that it can’t happen. Now maybe they improve in basketball over the next few seasons, but who knows.