Denton county evictions

Is there anyone on this forum who could message me and help me understand the current rules regarding eviction?

I'm not trying to put anyone out on the street but my mother has a tenant who owes for five months now and was VERY rude about wanting plumbing repairs done at thehouse. Once they learned they couldn't be evicted because of covid they stopped paying. My mother is the nicest lady around and doesn't deserve this.

From what I understand the Cares act runs through Jan 4th but we would like them out now is there anything I can do?

Edited by ntmeangreen11
  • Upvote 3

Leaving this open because I know we have several Texas-based people in the legal profession here on the forum.

If you have guidance or information that can help out, please send it via PM and feel free to share in this thread that there's information waiting to be seen. 

If you have hot political opinions to share, prepare to be violently suspended. 

On 11/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, ntmeangreen11 said:

Once they learned they couldn't be evicted because of covid they stopped paying. My mother is the nicest lady around and doesn't deserve this.

You probably know this, but the Act only protections tenants from evictions for failing to pay rent.  Evictions can still be pursued for other causes.

I don't know anything about retail or privacy laws, but my first thought is: does this tenant truly have an income problem? If she stopped paying rent the day she read about the CARES Act, and not because she actually lost income, she's in a heap of trouble.  If this is actually the case, she's probably too dumb to realize she's going to owe for all those past due months/late fees.

Sorry for your troubles.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

You probably know this, but the Act only protections tenants from evictions for failing to pay rent.  Evictions can still be pursued for other causes.

I don't know anything about retail or privacy laws, but my first thought is: does this tenant truly have an income problem? If she stopped paying rent the day she read about the CARES Act, and not because she actually lost income, she's in a heap of trouble.  If this is actually the case, she's probably too dumb to realize she's going to owe for all those past due months/late fees.

Sorry for your troubles.

We served the papers and then they mailed a notice back alluding to the house being in a state of disrepair and "job loss due to covid" to protect themselves when it turns out I have learned he lost his job doing gutters because he... stole sheets of plywood from a job site on camera months ago. I doubt we will see a penny of the money owed, just wanted them out. She has had pretty good luck on her three rentals in terms of tenants for the most part.

As much as I just want to go whoop his ass for speaking to my mother that way, I will let the constable handle it and be getting the house ready for a new tenant in January.

Thanks for help and kind words everyone.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

• 6 months later...