Arkansas (11/28/20)

CMJ

One of the biggest issues we have in playing these top competition teams is passing semi open shots. Usually we’re passing those up for turnovers. Shoot with some conviction or watch them take it away. I get that they are taller and more athletic but this is pathetic, especially if we are trying to raise our standards as we up Mccasland’s pay.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Agree with the tv anouncers if Simmons had started leaning in on Vanover a bit earlier that would have been good. Probably would have opend some offense for everyone else too. But hopefully this is a learning process where he takes something away from it and will do better net time he plays a really tal guy at that position.

• Upvote 2

Really disappointing showing. Against High Majors and elite mid majors we take way too long to start attacking offensively. If Zach goes through Vanover like he has been now, we probably prevent ourselves from digging such a deep hole early on. Did this against Dayton and others in previous years. And just terrible job of hitting shots, 3-point line, free throw line, and mid range.

Also would like to see more of Robinson and Ousmane and less of Jackson and Wise. Much more size and offensive skill. Mccasland needs to play the best players, not over rely on the hierarchy game, if we’re gonna compete with WKU this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Tentative start did NT in.  This game will do NT good, like last years away oc schedule

Hamlet just disappeared, probably the focus of Ark defense.

Arkansas played good 3 defense, but NT passed up a lot of 3 shots.  Seems to me the best plan against such a physical team. 

Zack was NT's mvp, maybe this game will give him confidence to dominate in CUSA.  

McCasland again made me wonder about his substitution pattern.  I guess Jackson matched up better against their small quick guards, but I rather have a shooter in there.  I do think Jones will be really good.   Wise must be a much better player than he has been able to show on the court in very limited games. 

McCasland slow play obviously works, but it is very ineffective when NT gets behind double digits. 

At least this game, gave some relief from the UTSA football disaster.  NT basketball played hard against a good team versus a football team which just lost in an historically awful fashion.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Really disappointing showing. Against High Majors and elite mid majors we take way too long to start attacking offensively. If Zach goes through Vanover like he has been now, we probably prevent ourselves from digging such a deep hole early on. Did this against Dayton and others in previous years. And just terrible job of hitting shots, 3-point line, free throw line, and mid range.

Also would like to see more of Robinson and Ousmane and less of Jackson and Wise. Much more size and offensive skill. Mccasland needs to play the best players, not over rely on the hierarchy game, if we’re gonna compete with WKU this year.

I agree on the first part for most games except today. A lot of newcomers played and it’s nerve racking going from a bad MVSU team to a great Arkansas team.

Mississippi state is not that good, and with 3 games under their belts, it should get easier from then on.

It was definitely frustrating, but Arkansas also was a top SEC defense and Mussleman is a big time defensive guy.

Grant did a good job at limiting The hogs at open shots and making them work. Unlucky on our side that they would make them.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I agree on the first part for most games except today. A lot of newcomers played and it’s nerve racking going from a bad MVSU team to a great Arkansas team.

Mississippi state is not that good, and with 3 games under their belts, it should get easier from then on.

It was definitely frustrating, but Arkansas also was a top SEC defense and Mussleman is a big time defensive guy.

Grant did a good job at limiting The hogs at open shots and making them work. Unlucky on our side that they would make them.

Yeah we’re going to be fine. The disappointment just comes from losing these signature OOC win opportunities in such similar fashion across the entire Mccasland era. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/27/2020 at 10:22 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Both teams first test, and Arkansas lost 2 of their top players from last year that did damage to us. This should be a competitive game, but if we can't knock down shots, it'll get ugly...

Oh well look at that. We didn’t make shots, and it got out of hand.

Still proud of the guys for competing their ass off and not giving up

We missed Deng yesterday.  I think he would’ve gone after that skinny 7 footer and at least competed.  In the first half that dude dominated the paint.  Mac opted to put more guards on the floor but then we didn’t take outside shots.  That was frustrating and just a strange game plan.

From reading the comments here it sounds like Simmons stepped up late, but after the football debacle I’d had enough once we went down 20 and turned it off.  

• Upvote 1