Arkansas (11/28/20)

CMJ

3484A1DF-8FC6-48CC-A2C4-B95539B33DEE.jpeg

I would also caution not to get too invested in a win or a loss.  The team that lost to Arkansas last year was not the team that finished the season.  The same will be true this year.  

McBride, Jones, Lewis, Abou, etc. are all new to the rotation (with only one game against subpar competition under their belt) and I guarantee McCasland doesn’t know his minutes load yet.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Great matchup! Excited to see how our program's continuity and development will matchup against a supposedly higher tier of talent, but victims of roster turnover.

Yeah 10 new players on the Arkansas roster is pretty crazy.

-3 immediately eligible grad transfers

-3 transfers who sat out last year (one tore his ACL however so won’t play)

-4 freshman high school recruits

Guess that’s just college basketball today though.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Hogfan14 said:

Guess that’s just college basketball today though.

Yeah. I remember watching Tim Floyd touch on this years ago, right before a heated exchange with a local reporter.

https://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2016/5/14/11671104/tim-floyd-rant-college-basketball-transfers-high-low

Edited by greenminer
  • Thanks 1

Kaplowitz is a good Sports talk host, but he does believe he is an expert at many things. Floyd comments on transfers, IMO, are spot on. I know many today would like to see complete freedom for players to transfer as they wish but I'm not so sure it the best for the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

P.S. I also like how he points out that higher profile programs basically recruit players from the mid-majors

It does suck for the mid-majors but on the other hand there are a lot more spots open in return for high school recruits that used to be takes for high profile programs, but their spots fill up with transfers so a lot more borderline top 100 players each recruiting class are ending up at mid-majors now. It’s almost not worth it for high majors to recruit those high 3* or low 4* types anymore when they can try to lure a proven college player in the transfer portal so you have teams like Dayton getting really good 4-year players out of it that aren’t quite developed to an elite level yet but still good gets.

• Upvote 1

As a Mean Green fan who grew up in Arkansas (Razorback fan too), this year’s Arkansas team could be scary good. Coach Musselman has depth and so many lineup possibilities this season it’s crazy.   While he prefers to only run 8 players out per game, Musselman’s Razorbacks are easily 10 deep.  In addition to the matchup nightmares presented to Arkansas opponents (by its size, speed, and athletic combinations), almost every player on their team can shoot the 3.  One interesting player to consider is the Razorback’s Connor Vanover (7-3 Forward).  Coach Musselman discussed the possibility this Summer of using Vanover to help run the offense at times during the season.  That’s crazy to consider a 7-3 point forward running their offense.   But, it will happen at some point this season.  What makes Vanover even more unique is his ability to hit the 3.  

I’m certainly not saying that the Razorbacks are unbeatable.  Every team is beatable.  What I am saying is that I am expecting big things out of Arkansas and UNT this season.  As a Mean Green fan, I’m pulling for us to get the victory and I am also excited to watch both my teams compete this season.  

Edited by Mean Green Fan4Life
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I can't get the tunein radio broadcast to work.  Guess I'll have to follow the scoreboard online.

Something about the TV broadcast deal blocks it from the MGRN. They mentioned this on the FB game feed.

you need to hear the ARK radio broadcast.

I'm listening to Arkansas Basketball on @TuneIn. #NowPlaying