WKU has two big wins already

MCMLXXX

They defeated Northern Iowa the MVC preseason favorite yesterday and defeated Memphis the AAC preseason 2nd place pick today.

They will face the winner of VCU/#15West Virginia game in the Championship game of the Bad Boy Mowers Classic.  

https://www.crossoverclassic.com/schedule/

Charles Bassey had 21 points, 14 rebounds, and 7 blocked shots against Memphis. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

They defeated Northern Iowa the MVC preseason favorite yesterday and defeated Memphis the AAC preseason 2nd place pick today.

They will face the winner of VCU/#15West Virginia game in the Championship game of the Bad Boy Mowers Classic.  

https://www.crossoverclassic.com/schedule/

I hope they are ranked this year

WKU has quietly signed a 4 star recruit from Marshall County KY also. WKU's brand of excellence in Basketball is undeniable.4-star Zion Harmon signs with WKU Basketball (wbko.com)

And as Cooley pointed out, WKU has signed a 7'3" JUCO player from Hopkinsville KY who is also listed as a 4 star recruit now. Stansbury Announces Signing of Nation’s Top JUCO Player Jamarion Sharp (wbko.com) I question Jamarion's talent level as he didn't even start his junior year of high school though. Perhaps he has improved to 4 star level though.

Hopkinsville can be a basketball mecca on some years and North Texas should recruit there. The small city of 30,000 has produced dozens of top Div 1 basketball players (Duke, Temple, Xavier, Kentucky, Clemson) and 4 NBA players. The small HS that I graduated from in Hopkinsville produced Scotty Hopson and Greg Buckner (former Mavericks players). The H.S. a few blocks away produced Chris Whitney (Wizards, Spurs).

Edited by GreenEggs&Ham™
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

And as Cooley pointed out, WKU has signed a 7'3" JUCO player from Hopkinsville KY who is also listed as a 4 star recruit now. Stansbury Announces Signing of Nation’s Top JUCO Player Jamarion Sharp (wbko.com) I question Jamarion's talent level as he didn't even start his junior year of high school though. Perhaps he has improved to 4 star level though.

Dennis Rodman never played high school basketball. He was cut in tryouts. Granted he had a huge growth spurt in his late teens, but some guys are late bloomers.

WKU offered Jamarion a scholarship while he was a Junior in High School even though he did not start. Their pursuit paid off. He had offers from Cincinnati, West Virginia, Arizona, Oregon, and San Diego State.

https://www.wbko.com/2020/11/24/stansbury-announces-signing-of-nations-top-juco-player-jamarion-sharp/

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Lovely Take 1

20 minutes ago, CMJ said:

WKU gave it a helluva run against WVU, but they couldn't quite take it.  Led up until around 8-9 minutes to go.

Something happened a little past the 5 minute mark into the 2H.  WKU stalled and proceeded to score only 2 points for nearly 10 minutes.  They finally hit another 3 @ w/appx 5:45 remaining, but couldn't do enough to reclaim the lead.

GAME SUMMARY

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Something happened a little past the 5 minute mark into the 2H.  WKU stalled and proceeded to score only 2 points for nearly 10 minutes.  They finally hit another 3 @ w/appx 5:45 remaining, but couldn't do enough to reclaim the lead.

GAME SUMMARY

Bassey going in and out of the game didn't help.  With Bassey in, I thought WKU had the better team. 

Going to be a challenge for NT.  It could come down to Simmons vs Bassey. 

With both games being late in the season and back to back at Denton, I like NT chances. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Bassey going in and out of the game didn't help.  With Bassey in, I thought WKU had the better team. 

Holy moly, what's a guy like Bassey doing only getting 19 minutes in this game?!

He had 3 PFs, but looking at that stat doesn't really tell me much about his foul trouble situation.,

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Holy moly, what's a guy like Bassey doing only getting 19 minutes in this game?!

He had 3 PFs, but looking at that stat doesn't really tell me much about his foul trouble situation.,

He got two early fouls in the first half and sat for about 15 minutes.

He played most of the 2nd half, but had an injury scare and came off the court for awhile.  

On 11/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Hopkinsville can be a basketball mecca on some years and North Texas should recruit there.

I never knew that when I was stationed at Fort Campbell. I always thought Hoptown was just a place that Soldiers avoided so as not to get into fights with the locals. Didn't know they had basketball talent like that.

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I never knew that when I was stationed at Fort Campbell. I always thought Hoptown was just a place that Soldiers avoided so as not to get into fights with the locals. Didn't know they had basketball talent like that.

What was your MOS my man? 

Fort Campbell has routinely made Hopkinsville off-limits to enlisted men. 

"Bird" Averitt also played H.S. basketball in Hopkinsville, KY.

And just to be clear, WKU is 8-4 (last 3 years) against P5 men's basketball programs.

UNT must progress the men's program to the next level. I hope that we go 3-0 against WKU this year. Believe me because I work with lots of WKU alums and many of my friends up here are WKU graduates. But if Bassey & Hollingsworth stay healthy at WKU, don't count on winning more than 1 game against them if that. 

3-6-Averitt-card.jpg

2 hours ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Fort Campbell has routinely made Hopkinsville off-limits to enlisted men. 

"Bird" Averitt also played H.S. basketball in Hopkinsville, KY.

And just to be clear, WKU is 8-4 (last 3 years) against P5 men's basketball programs.

UNT must progress the men's program to the next level. I hope that we go 3-0 against WKU this year. Believe me because I work with lots of WKU alums and many of my friends up here are WKU graduates. But if Bassey & Hollingsworth stay healthy at WKU, don't count on winning more than 1 game against them if that. 

3-6-Averitt-card.jpg

That's some nice history. If you don't mind me asking, what brought you to UNT?