Original Mean Green Club

Zeleny' Orel

PlummMeanGreen has been posting some "oldies, but goodies" from past years in UNT Sports.

That got me to thinking about the original Mean Green Club.  If I remember correctly it was a fan-organized, fan-run, and fan-based group and was not part of the Athletic Department.  A few young guys (at least they were then) were the organizers...can't remember their names, but maybe Harry and Adler were part of the group?  Many of us joined and the guys did a great job in helping get fan support for UNT sports.

Any of the rest of you "old timers" remember more than I do about this group, how it got started, who were the leaders, and when it disbanded?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Think you might be thinking of @meanrob Great fan, passionate about his team. He used to write up a newsletter, tried his best to get inside access and a regular meeting for his members to meet with the AD if I recall.

He also made up a great shirt of the old school font Mean Green with the worm over it. Still have the shirt.

Believe he lives out west and I see him checking in on the board fairly routinely (still as much or more as most fans).

If he sees this, I bet you he or @FirefightnRickcan tell the story much better than my feeble memory allows.

Of course, there were other pioneers before Rob....and again, I defer to our historian FFR or PMG.

#BeatRice

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
Add
  • Upvote 5

My recollection of the original Mean Green Club was that it was limited to 100 members and called, oddly, the Mean Green 100.  Members gave $1,000 annually and got a really great lime green sport coat with the “stylized eagle” logo stitched onto the pocket.  This came along as a project of Hayden Fry.  Bill Vogel ran the Mean Green Club and DeWitt Weaver was an important cog in the wheel.  

Edited by greenjoe
Right you are. Thanks Silver
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, greenjoe said:

My recollection of the original Mean Green Club was that it was limited to 100 members and called, oddly, the Mean Green 100.  Members gave $1,000 annually and got a really great lime green sport coat with the “styluses eagle” logo stitched onto the pocket.  This came along as a project of Hayden Fry.  Bill Gobel ran the Mean Green Club and DeWitt Weaver was an important cog in the wheel.  

Bill Vogel

Edited by SilverEagle

I remember the group that wore the lime green jacket, but I was referring to the group that I believe Rob started.  It was purely a fan-based group and didn't require a large donation or have any ties to anyone in the athletic department, as I remember.  I think it was mostly made up of fans like me who would not have had the money at the time to get that lime green jacket!

• Upvote 1

OK, sports fans..let's flash back to 1969 when the original Mean Green Club (it may have been called the Eagle Club) was started.  Rod Rust started it and I was a member.  I have the Club pin somewhere and will post it if and when I can find it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1