DRC breaking news -- Regents approve extension for McCasland

Brett Vito

Generally I am fairly pro extension here. His performance was good.

That said, I do however care about how much money it is and -just as importantly - what the early termination provisions are.

He was already getting paid at a C-USA top level, so the increase in salary should better not be too big. Also the termination should hopefully finally not contain any clause where buyouts for him plummet to the ground if Baker or Smatresk leave. That could happen, and what is the point of building up a whole athletic department with great coaches if they all leave for next to nothing the moment the AD gets a call from one of the bigger Oklahoma programs. Furthermore it is a conflict of interest, as it increases Bakers own leverage when negotiating his own contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, outoftown said:

Generally I am fairly pro extension here. His performance was good.

That said, I do however care about how much money it is and -just as importantly - what the early termination provisions are.

He was already getting paid at a C-USA top level, so the increase in salary should better not be too big. Also the termination should hopefully finally not contain any clause where buyouts for him plummet to the ground if Baker or Smatresk leave. That could happen, and what is the point of building up a whole athletic department with great coaches if they all leave for next to nothing the moment the AD gets a call from one of the bigger Oklahoma programs. Furthermore it is a conflict of interest, as it increases Bakers own leverage when negotiating his own contract.

Giving out contract extensions and coach raises are always risky.  Particularly at G5 schools that don't have the financial clout of P5s.

Both parties have to sign a contract, so proposing stipulations that McCasland would never agree to, is an act of futility. 

McCasland making a top CUSA salary, means nothing.   He is not leaving to go to coach FIU or UTEP.  If he goes for a better job, it will be almost surely be an upward conference move. 

As far as contract ties to the AD or President, it would be the BOR duty to not allow that. However, would you rather have such a clause or have McCasland just go because a contract cannot be agreed on?

The last thing that NT would want is to run McCasland off because of contract side issues.  It is just a reality that NT cannot match the salaries of top basketball schools.  However, there is a slight chance that a coach may just like the situation at NT better than most other opportunities.  

All NT can do is keep him as happy as possible with as little risk possible.   I think the coach is the real deal, but a lot of people thought the same about several other NT head coaches that turned out to be huge mistakes. 

On 11/22/2020 at 9:36 PM, greenminer said:

Help me understand the timing of this.  If this is a reward for last season's successes, why are we doing this in November? Does it have to do with when BOR meets?

Would guess it has to do with the timing of the cutbacks do to Covid. Might have wanted to wait a little to announce extensions and raises when cost cuts are going on everywhere.