IS THIS THE END OF COLLEGE AS WE KNOW IT?

Will the coronavirus pandemic lead to long-term changes in higher education? To better understand the challenges facing U.S. colleges and universities, WSJ’s Alexander Hotz spoke with administrators, students, and a higher education futurist. Photo: Robert F. Bukaty/AP
By 
Douglas Belkin

Rachael Wittern earned straight As in high school, a partial scholarship to college and then a Ph.D. in clinical psychology. She is now 33 years old, lives in Tampa, earns $94,000 a year as a psychologist and says her education wasn’t worth the cost. She carries $300,000 in student debt.

read more here:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-this-the-end-of-college-as-we-know-it-11605196909

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:
Will the coronavirus pandemic lead to long-term changes in higher education? To better understand the challenges facing U.S. colleges and universities, WSJ’s Alexander Hotz spoke with administrators, students, and a higher education futurist. Photo: Robert F. Bukaty/AP
By 
Douglas Belkin

Rachael Wittern earned straight As in high school, a partial scholarship to college and then a Ph.D. in clinical psychology. She is now 33 years old, lives in Tampa, earns $94,000 a year as a psychologist and says her education wasn’t worth the cost. She carries $300,000 in student debt.

read more here:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-this-the-end-of-college-as-we-know-it-11605196909

$300,000, you could buy a starter house for that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

It’s the End of a lot more than most people are aware of right now. 

This is true. But mostly the pandemic is pulling forward problems that already existed for a while. That is all the more true for college costs in the US. People who got their degrees in the 70ies and 80ies got them for next to nothing compared to the kids from today. That kind of change is sure to create some social unrest in the long run.

How it will end up I do not know, but a reckoning was coming for a long time, this might only pull it forward a good bit. What I do not know is how it will affect college athletics. That said, those also existed and thrived in the first half of the 20ieth century, when colleges were more elite than they are today.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

This is true. But mostly the pandemic is pulling forward problems that already existed for a while. That is all the more true for college costs in the US. People who got their degrees in the 70ies and 80ies got them for next to nothing compared to the kids from today. That kind of change is sure to create some social unrest in the long run.

Totally agree with this.  I think the most I ever paid for a semester was around 2 grand (I lived off-campus).  Could easily pay for school by working 30 hours a week.  Can't be done today.

The problem is that today you need a college degree for jobs that didn't require them 30 years ago -- which means you need to spend $120K (or, more likely, take on a huge student loan debt) just to get on the bottom rung of the ladder.  That's not sustainable.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

23 hours ago, GBarksdale said:

Totally agree with this.  I think the most I ever paid for a semester was around 2 grand (I lived off-campus).  Could easily pay for school by working 30 hours a week.  Can't be done today.

The problem is that today you need a college degree for jobs that didn't require them 30 years ago -- which means you need to spend $120K (or, more likely, take on a huge student loan debt) just to get on the bottom rung of the ladder.  That's not sustainable.

There also needs to be a hard look at kids who feel the need to go out of state to schools that are much more expensive than State schools. I understand if there is a very specific program you looking for but there needs to be a reality check of what you need and what you would like. One of my big problems when they talk student loan forgiveness is those who did without to pay what they owed, our chose schools they could afford are not able to benefit as opposed to some who spent way more than they could afford and  now are demanding other pay what they owe. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1