What have we done wrong?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2020/11/09/how-smu-football-has-implemented-rigid-rules-to-travel-safely-during-covid-19-pandemic/

So I know I’ll probably get backlash from this like saying I’m “cherry picking”, but there is no doubt that SMU has done a great job handling the virus and how it spreads through the program. They haven’t had a positive test since like July, and haven’t missed a game.

The rules that are in place for them are clearly more strict and compact, unlike our program that has done the opposite. Now of course it can be easy to catch the virus, but I’ve seen many of the players out partying (some without masks) at Fry and others. For example, after the MTSU game, I saw many players at Fry street all partying and around others like it’s nothing.

My main point is, does our staff really put a priority at these kind of things? Because if they did, I don’t think we would’ve missed 2-3 games.

• Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2020/11/09/how-smu-football-has-implemented-rigid-rules-to-travel-safely-during-covid-19-pandemic/

So I know I’ll probably get backlash from this like saying I’m “cherry picking”, but there is no doubt that SMU has done a great job handling the virus and how it spreads through the program. They haven’t had a positive test since like July, and haven’t missed a game.

The rules that are in place for them are clearly more strict and compact, unlike our program that has done the opposite. Now of course it can be easy to catch the virus, but I’ve seen many of the players out partying (some without masks) at Fry and others. For example, after the MTSU game, I saw many players at Fry street all partying and around others like it’s nothing.

My main point is, does our staff really put a priority at these kind of things? Because if they did, I don’t think we would’ve missed 2-3 games.

SMU is cheating.

/thread

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:
SMU has done a great job handling the virus and how it spreads through the program [while on the road, in a Tulsa hotel.]

I wouldn't be surprised to run into a few SMU players in Dallas after a Mustang home win.  Just my 0.02.

You're not wrong about us, though.  If our players are out mask-less on Fry street, they are not helping the cause.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Technically, only the La Tech game was on us.  UTEP and UAB were on them.  

Lol. UTEP is on them? How? Nobody in their program tested positive. The game was going to be played without a crowd.

No, UTEP is on us and it is tantamount to forfeiting.

I'd really like to know where you're getting the info that the cancellation this weekend is on UAB. I haven't seen anything to blame one side or the other.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 22

Yes we’ve only had cases to cancel roughly  half of the games we’ve missed, the opponent had the others...BUT it is a fair question and you’d hope we were doing things more disciplined than our competitors so we can be in a position to not only play, but play with all of our starters.  It’s very easy to point fingers in a situation where PERSONAL responsibility is more important than ever though.  I’d venture to guess SMU has more disciplined kids on their squad than we do.  We’ve been recruiting good kids, don’t get me wrong, but I feel like we’ve got a wilder bunch. 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Big Z said:

As of now, Old Dominion is looking like the smartest team in CUSA for not playing. 

So you would have rather we played no games or do you think that sitting out would have been safer for the players?  Or maybe you think that would have been a better financial decision?  Just curious. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Big Z said:

As of now, Old Dominion is looking like the smartest team in CUSA for not playing. 

The season hasn’t gone the way anyone had hoped, but how Is Old Dominion looking smart?

Look at the valuable game experience young players on UNT and all of the other CUSA teams will have going into next year  compared to Old Dominion. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Lol. UTEP is on them? How? Nobody in their program tested positive. The game was going to be played without a crowd.

UTEP roster was cleared for UAB, but Blazers had it moved to Midland.  

Teams are avoiding El Paso city right now.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

So you would have rather we played no games or do you think that sitting out would have been safer for the players?  Or maybe you think that would have been a better financial decision?  Just curious. 

I’m infuriated with the Conference USA as a whole with all these postponed games and cancellations. We have to be the top 1-2 conferences in college football with most cancellations and postponed games....I could be wrong.

To answer your questions, yes I would like to play games but in my opinion the conference has failed as whole with the safety protocols. Financially there wasn’t going to be a lot of money made from the get go anyways. GMG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

UTEP roster was cleared for UAB, but Blazers had it moved to Midland.  

Teams are avoiding El Paso city right now.

The game in Midland has been cancelled.  Who are you going to blame that one on @peanuts104?  It was cancelled due to the lack of hospital beds out here, so I guess that is the fault of our administration in your mind.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I'd really like to know where you're getting the info that the cancellation this weekend is on UAB. I haven't seen anything to blame one side or the other.

It was all over every news source that UAB players were the reason the game was cancelled! 

Animated GIF

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Did the athletic department do something about this? No wonder we haven't played a game since.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:41 AM, Big Z said:

On 11/14/2020 at 12:53 PM, Big Z said:

I’m infuriated with the Conference USA as a whole with all these postponed games and cancellations. We have to be the top 1-2 conferences in college football with most cancellations and postponed games....I could be wrong.

To answer your questions, yes I would like to play games but in my opinion the conference has failed as whole with the safety protocols. Financially there wasn’t going to be a lot of money made from the get go anyways. GMG

Despite all of this, we found our starting QB and discovered that several of our underclassmen were ready to step up into starting rolls in what is considered a "free" year. Meanwhile, ODU loses a year of experience and several of their players decided to transfer out specifically because of the school's decision to cancel the season. While no school was going to do well financially this year with all of the attendance limitations, we were definitely smarter for not canceling the season, even with all of the cancelations/postponements we've had to endure. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure how CUSA shares revenue generated by individual games. Does home team keep the gate of split with CUSA opponents? Since there is no home gate to speak of, increasing travel costs, and little TV revenue, ODU probably did OK financially, especially if coaches took pay cuts and administrative staff reduced. I am surprised that a program like ULM with athletic budget of about $18 million didn't take the year off.

9 hours ago, wardly said:

I am not sure how CUSA shares revenue generated by individual games. Does home team keep the gate of split with CUSA opponents? Since there is no home gate to speak of, increasing travel costs, and little TV revenue, ODU probably did OK financially, especially if coaches took pay cuts and administrative staff reduced. I am surprised that a program like ULM with athletic budget of about $18 million didn't take the year off.

Visiting team pays their own way. Whatever the home team makes at the gate is theirs to keep.