We are Grounded, but Liberty Wins Again...

Side Show Joe

We can't get on the field, but in just their 2nd FBS season, Liberty has won their 7th straight, taking down a 4-2 Virginia Tech team. Just venting since I'm not watching us play today.

On a side note... I will take a day off from work and drive 2.5 hours to be at the Dec 3rd make up game with LA Tech. I may complain a lot, but I do love my Mean Green. I'm just tired of watching other programs rise, while we flounder. Rant over.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Remember that I said this today:

LIBERTY WILL BE RANKED IN THE TOP 25 WITHIN 5 YEARS AND BE IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP HUNT WITHIN 10. 

While I believe Liberty will still be a strong G5 in 5 season, I'm skeptical about them being in the playoff discussion. I will say, they appear to be serious about being a dominate G5 program and a top 25 team. I'm jealous.

Speaking of being a serious G5 program... Utah State fired Gary Anderson today after just one season in his second stint with the program. In 2019 Anderson led Utah State to a 7-6 record with a bowl appearance. Utah State started 2020 with an 0-3 record. Seems like Utah State is serious about winning too.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

54 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Next year, we play at SMU, at Missoula, and home against Liberty in OOC along with our home game against a FCS spare. 

So, it would appear that we are looking at 1-3 in OOC. I guess it will be up to CUSA schedule to help SL keep his job after the season is done.

SMU will not have Buechele and We will be improved with QB’s with much needed experience. I don’t see how you can project with such a negative outlook. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

SMU will not have Buechele and We will be improved with QB’s with much needed experience. I don’t see how you can project with such a negative outlook. 

I agree.  UNT should be a better team next year and unless smu brings in another experienced QB transfer they will have a little drop off.  Plus it will be an important year for Seth to demonstrate new life.  I see a better game,

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

4 star, top 10 qb in the nation Preston Stone graduates high school this year and will be a true freshman at SMU next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Cougar King said:

4 star, top 10 qb in the nation Preston Stone graduates high school this year and will be a true freshman at SMU next year.

And you think he’s gonna jump right in and fill in for Buchele? Next year should be close

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is Buechele supposed to be drafted?   If no, why would he leave?   His eligibility is frozen this year, just like everyone else's.

He’s been in college for like 5 years now, and I think he’s being projected on many draft boards, so why not leave.

It also helps us maybe...

On 11/7/2020 at 9:56 PM, UNTLifer said:

Oh, I don’t know...maybe it’s been the last two plus seasons of poor play against actually good teams. Maybe it’s been 25 years of mostly horrible football. I don’t know when to pinpoint it exactly, but my negative outlook has been encased in gold from these years of following the alma mater.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 11/8/2020 at 4:25 AM, Cougar King said:

If he actually signs with SMU. WE all know how that can go....

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Don't understand the fascination with Liberty here.  I don't feel like any conference is going to touch them in the foreseeable future.  They don't draw.  Interested to know what I'm missing?  Or is it just envy?

It's envy.  Another version of "why aren't the Mean Green doing this?"

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Don't understand the fascination with Liberty here.  I don't feel like any conference is going to touch them in the foreseeable future.  They don't draw.  Interested to know what I'm missing?  Or is it just envy?

Its envy for me. Getting ranked after a few season as a FBS program, like Coastal Carolina, just makes me wonder why we can't ever do this. Since 1995, we have had 5 head coaches, 3 ADs, 3 conferences, 2 stadiums, and countless opportunity games. And we can't get ranked. I've seen Boise State, Nevada, UCF, USF, Troy, Coastal Carolina, Western Kentucky, and now Liberty get ranked in the same time we have been FBS. I'm sure I've missed some others, too. Its just disheartening. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1