ESPN announces massive layoffs, job cuts as COVID-19 impacts revenues

Harry

the trickle down on this COULD be tough on conferences and pro leagues and coaches salaries and player contracts

The TV money is so huge.....if it is at risk at the same time no one is buying tickets, etc. That seems like a tough situation.

How much money is UNT athletics going to bleed this year? And I think we're in pretty good position compared to others like us....I would think there will be more programs shut down

11 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

the trickle down on this COULD be tough on conferences and pro leagues and coaches salaries and player contracts

The TV money is so huge.....if it is at risk at the same time no one is buying tickets, etc. That seems like a tough situation.

How much money is UNT athletics going to bleed this year? And I think we're in pretty good position compared to others like us....I would think there will be more programs shut down

This is my concern -- how will this affect G5 conferences and in particular UNT.  I hope that our staff and salaries will stay in place despite the diminishing revenues.

I dumped cable a couple years ago, in fact I don't know anyone that still has a cable or satellite subscription.   I am sure that is a trend all over the country, and when you combine that with the effects of covid19 on the sports world it does not look good for the current espn business model.  I do have the ESPN app so I do watch plenty of their content, though they do reserve certain content for their cable channel (still there are ways to stream that if I really want to watch it).  

I think the smaller sports and schools that have games on ESPN+ and ESPN3 will probably be OK because ESPN is not sending a full crew to broadcast the games, they are simply broadcasting what ever the school or venue provides them with.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I think the smaller sports and schools that have games on ESPN+ and ESPN3 will probably be OK because ESPN is not sending a full crew to broadcast the games, they are simply broadcasting what ever the school or venue provides them with.  

The issue isn't sending a crew to campus, it is the broadcast rights they pay to cover these games and the revenue it generates for the university's athletic departments.

• Upvote 2

ESPN was starting to lose viewers before this pandemic hit. Viewership of sports in general is changing. It will interesting to see what happens to the G5 TV rights. I think you will see more and more where conferences/teams are responsible for the production and then ESPN, and others offers a centralized viewing platform.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

when ESPN became a political channel I lost interest.  Have not watched in years.  I have it on cable and still don't watch it.

Right there with you.  I will watch ballgames on there but have stopped watching Sports Center and their studio shows.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

when ESPN became a political channel I lost interest.  Have not watched in years.  I have it on cable and still don't watch it.

Totally agree. I think sports in general are suddenly figuring out that injecting their politics into sports is hurting them. The NBA in particular was hit really hard. The players may not care but their owners sure do. People aren't going to pay or spend time to watch a protest. ESPN needs to seriously start changing or another start up will knock them off their throne. 

I kind of think sports was starting to decline some anyway. College has monopolies now so the fix is in. NFL is still big but numbers are down and the Cowboys are laughable. NBA is boring and for me unwatchable now. Loved the 80s and 90s though. MLS is fun but watching washed up players from other countries kneel during our national anthem is a great way to increase your brand. MLB is always fun at the games but not really on TV. But we can't go to games. College basketball broke my heart when we didn't get a shot at the tournament. Screw you Rona.

Maybe this pandemic has shifted peoples priorities? I certainly am only missing NT sports but not really missing the others.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7