Why We Need To Be Pickier In Recruiting

BillySee58

With every player getting an extra year of eligibility and with players allowed to transfer once between D1 schools without needing to sit out a year on the horizon, recruiting for the upcoming classes is set to change dramatically. We need to plan accordingly.

As of now it sounds like the NCAA will allow seniors next season (who are currently seniors now as well) to not need to count towards the 85 scholarship limit at the FBS level, however, there do NOT seem to be impending changes to the 25 scholarship per class limit.

As a G5 school, we need to be very judicious with our scholarships. If P5 schools want to take this opportunity to poach the best G5 and FCS players, that takes spots in their class up that they normally use on the top HS and JUCO recruits. That means guys who normally would sign with P5 schools are going to be available to us. We need to be in position to nab those guys, which means not taking commitments early in the process from marginal recruits.

Similarly, if P5 schools pilfer the Deonte Simpsons and KD Davis’ of our roster more frequently, we need to have spots available to sign the P5 transfers who are looking for more playing time. 

Next season teams are allowed 85 scholarship players (the max) on players who are not seniors. This means that unless the NCAA expands the scholarship limit in 2022, teams are going to have very little room to add 2022 recruits. I think we’ll see the NCAA add spots to not completely screw over the kids of the 2022 class, but if they don’t, that will mean even more recruits who normally would sign P5 being left out of those classes and available to us.

The recruiting numbers game is changing dramatically, in some ways temporarily (hopefully) and in some ways permanently. We need to plan for these possibilities and the best step to take now is to not take any commitments from guys whose caliber you could get at any point. Hoping the NCAA figures out the best solutions for everyone, but either current players or current recruits are likely going to get squeezed one way or another.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Good points. There will be schools that come out of this with some very good players and others that are left filling a lot of holes. With the financial impact at many schools, sadly this could be a year where players at many schools might not have their scholarships renewed, or other might fall well short of their 25 limits. I really hope our staff is ready.

• Upvote 1

https://247sports.com/Player/EJ-Ndoma-Ogar-88233/#evaluation

Speaking of being pickier, I ran across an offensive lineman that is currently at OU and opted for the transfer portal just a few days ago.  He is projected to be a fourth to seventh round draft pick by 247.  He was a 2019 recruit so he'd have (I think) four years of eligibility left.  He was a four-star recruit and a high school all-american.  He is from Allen.  He has supposedly had good coaching and I believe that Coach Bloesch would be an asset for him.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

https://247sports.com/Player/EJ-Ndoma-Ogar-88233/#evaluation

Speaking of being pickier, I ran across an offensive lineman that is currently at OU and opted for the transfer portal just a few days ago.  He is projected to be a fourth to seventh round draft pick by 247.  He was a 2019 recruit so he'd have (I think) four years of eligibility left.  He was a four-star recruit and a high school all-american.  He is from Allen.  He has supposedly had good coaching and I believe that Coach Bloesch would be an asset for him.  Just a thought.

in your dreams blaxploitation GIF by Warner Archive

I would love that but........

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 12:05 PM, BillySee58 said:

With every player getting an extra year of eligibility and with players allowed to transfer once between D1 schools without needing to sit out a year on the horizon, recruiting for the upcoming classes is set to change dramatically. We need to plan accordingly.

As of now it sounds like the NCAA will allow seniors next season (who are currently seniors now as well) to not need to count towards the 85 scholarship limit at the FBS level, however, there do NOT seem to be impending changes to the 25 scholarship per class limit.

As a G5 school, we need to be very judicious with our scholarships. If P5 schools want to take this opportunity to poach the best G5 and FCS players, that takes spots in their class up that they normally use on the top HS and JUCO recruits. That means guys who normally would sign with P5 schools are going to be available to us. We need to be in position to nab those guys, which means not taking commitments early in the process from marginal recruits.

Similarly, if P5 schools pilfer the Deonte Simpsons and KD Davis’ of our roster more frequently, we need to have spots available to sign the P5 transfers who are looking for more playing time. 

Next season teams are allowed 85 scholarship players (the max) on players who are not seniors. This means that unless the NCAA expands the scholarship limit in 2022, teams are going to have very little room to add 2022 recruits. I think we’ll see the NCAA add spots to not completely screw over the kids of the 2022 class, but if they don’t, that will mean even more recruits who normally would sign P5 being left out of those classes and available to us.

The recruiting numbers game is changing dramatically, in some ways temporarily (hopefully) and in some ways permanently. We need to plan for these possibilities and the best step to take now is to not take any commitments from guys whose caliber you could get at any point. Hoping the NCAA figures out the best solutions for everyone, but either current players or current recruits are likely going to get squeezed one way or another.

Bump! 

• Upvote 1