Should UTEP be forced to forfeit?

ADLER

I don't think anyone needs to forfeit anything in this Covid season. 

But, UTEP was given an opportunity to play this game in Denton at OUR cost, and they refused. If this game can't be re-scheduled in December due to the situation in El Paso (because guess what, it's not going to magically get better over the next month or so), then it is UTEP's fault this game didn't get played.

Oh well.

• Upvote 2

The two departments need a 3rd party mediator.  Draw up 2-3 alternatives.  Play in Denton.  Play half-way.  etc.

UTEP needs to anticipate that no one else will want to play there and they will not have any more football in El Paso this season.

UNT should also consider that maybe EVERY team left on the Miner home schedule will follow through and play.  Will that make us look like the jerks? Maybe, but I don't think this will actually happen, though.

No one should forfeit games this year.  This request by the UTEP staff strikes me as a side trying to save face or do damage control (regarding their image).

• Upvote 2

Just wait until FIU doesn't travel to EP next week. UTEP is going to freak out. There might not be enough dates for them to reschedule in December. It's not their fault, nor ours, nor FIU's fault if that occurs. Hell, a couple infections out there and UTSA game could be a no go. No reason to get worked up. The season is just messed up by 2020 karma.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

NO, neither should forfeit.  This should have been worked out through the commissioner and rework a new schedule date.  The worst part, if I understand correctly, is that the game was to be on CBS nationally and the conference needs all of the exposure that it can get.  We would've been the sixth and seventh teams from CUSA to appear on TV Saturday.  Western Kentucky vs. BYU was on ESPN.  UAB vs. Louisiana Tech and UTSA vs. Florida Atlantic were on Fox Southwest.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

NO, neither should forfeit.  This should have been worked out through the commissioner and rework a new schedule date.  The worst part, if I understand correctly, is that the game was to be on CBS nationally and the conference needs all of the exposure that it can get.  We would've been the sixth and seventh teams from CUSA to appear on TV Saturday.  Western Kentucky vs. BYU was on ESPN.  UAB vs. Louisiana Tech and UTSA vs. Florida Atlantic were on Fox Southwest.

Do we really want to be on national TV right now?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Do we really want to be on national TV right now?

Yes I’ll take it but I doubt anyone besides the hardcore MG fans would be watching this game. I mean you can’t even get exposure at the square in Denton to find a place with the game on.

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 2