Pro Football Focus Top 100 Draft Board

BillySee58

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I gotta think Guyton's performance in SD so far can only help the perception of Darden & NT receivers in the eyes of scouts.

Of course, JD's numbers are creating their own perception.

See I thought if Guyton stayed last year, he could’ve got drafted, but by the way he’s playing now it seemed he got better with the nfl experience.

I just hope JD can break this awful curse!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

Only negative that they bring up is size, but they counter with everything else. I think he should be drafted.

luckily some guy named Wes Welker opened up the door for short shifty receivers to succeed and actually be sought after. Darden is that, AND he has straight line speed to go with it

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

luckily some guy named Wes Welker opened up the door for short shifty receivers to succeed and actually be sought after. Darden is that, AND he has straight line speed to go with it

I think a good benchmark to look at for Jaelon is Richie James from MTSU a few years ago. James had similar ridiculous production at the CUSA level (1,300 yards as a freshman and 1,600 as a sophomore), he measured at 5’10”, and he ran a 4.48 at the combine. He was drafted in the 7th round. 

James was coming off a season where his injuries prevented him from equaling his previous production, so Darden’s stock should be higher, but I think he has to at least run under 4.5 or else he’s likely an UDFA. Get below that 4.48 that James got and he should be in good shape.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think a good benchmark to look at for Jaelon is Richie James from MTSU a few years ago. James had similar ridiculous production at the CUSA level (1,300 yards as a freshman and 1,600 as a sophomore), he measured at 5’10”, and he ran a 4.48 at the combine. He was drafted in the 7th round. 

James was coming off a season where his injuries prevented him from equaling his previous production, so Darden’s stock should be higher, but I think he has to at least run under 4.5 or else he’s likely an UDFA. Get below that 4.48 that James got and he should be in good shape.

Could also look at Carlos Henderson from LaTech. Huge college numbers, similar size - ran a 4.46 and was drafted in the 3rd. Unfortunately ran into some injuries/issues in the league and I don't think he is on a team this season. Guyton was more of a 4.4 under type, I was puzzled no one drafted him after running a 4.37 at 6 foot 1 with that pedigree.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Could also look at Carlos Henderson from LaTech. Huge college numbers, similar size - ran a 4.46 and was drafted in the 3rd. Unfortunately ran into some injuries/issues in the league and I don't think he is on a team this season. Guyton was more of a 4.4 under type, I was puzzled no one drafted him after running a 4.37 at 6 foot 1 with that pedigree.

Yeah I think all CUSA receivers are good benchmarks to compare with. Henderson was a couple inches taller, but it’s close. Darden keeps up the production and puts up Henderson-like combine numbers he’ll be in good shape. I think with Guyton it was hard to justify drafting a CUSA receiver who didn’t have a 1,000 yard receiving season. But had they pulled the trigger there, that’s a decision that would have paid off.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think with Guyton it was hard to justify drafting a CUSA receiver who didn’t have a 1,000 yard receiving season. But had they pulled the trigger there, that’s a decision that would have paid off.

Yes stats and route-running/drops hurt Guyton.  

Now, AS for Darden, we need to also consider that James Proche was close to 4000/40 at SMU, most of which came in his last two years. He got a Combine invite, ran a 4.40, and went to the Senior Bowl. He was drafted in the 6th round.

It's absolutely possible that Darden gets drafted. It's also very possible he goes undrafted. The truth is when it gets down to this level with the draft/NFL scouting, we really don't know much of anything, especially this year.  The only thing I know is the board consistently overstates the draft value and likelihood of our players going.

I mean, I think Darden has the skillset to succeed in the NFL, and he easily beats out statistically a lot of guys who were late drafts/undrafted in the last few years, so that's one thing to pay attention to. Another is that I trust scouts to look at/see this guy's footwork and know and understand how unique and advanced his skills are there. 

• 2 weeks later...