2004: UNT at Utah State...Romney Stadium...Super Jamario...100 Yd. MG TD from a fumble recovery

PlummMeanGreen

The Mean Green win their first game at Utah State’s Romney Stadium.

••• Darrell Dickey’s 2004 Mean Green football team would go to the New Orleans Bowl for the 4’th year in a row.

•••North Texas athletic officials previously had helped the USU Aggies get into a conference when they were hanging in Independent status purgatory.

••• Check out 2:18 on the timeline to see T.J. Covington vault into the Mean Green football record book.

••• Enjoy this blast from the past.
Be glad when this damn pandemic is contained & we can all get back to normal & watch Mean Green football 🏈... again.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

In my opinion, Dickey did a good job recruiting at NT.  We had some really special players back then.

He had 2 or 3 spectacular classes.  I wonder why he couldn't capitalize on the momentum they created.  Staff turnover probably didn't help.

As much as the HOD champions tug at our hearts, I fondly remember so many more players from the NO Bowl run.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I was at that game. Definitely one of my favorite North Texas away games.

I remember it was a cold evening in Logan and it was Utah State's homecoming. Pretty large crowd.

After that T.J. Covington 110-yard fumble return you could hear in a pin drop in that stadium. The only noise came from me and the other 10 North Texas fans there.

That was also back when you had to have a "sponsor" to buy alcohol in Utah bars. At that time there were about 2 bars in all of Logan and you had to be "sponsored" by a local citizen to drink. Luckily my buddy and I met one of the cameramen from the Utah State athletics department, and he obligingly showed the out of towners a good time. At the bar we had to fill out applications and the sponsor had to verify that he knew us. That was one of the strangest laws I had ever come across.

Edited by greenb.o.g.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

He had 2 or 3 spectacular classes.  I wonder why he couldn't capitalize on the momentum they created.  Staff turnover probably didn't help.

As much as the HOD champions tug at our hearts, I fondly remember so many more players from the NO Bowl run.

If you asked some of the players, they would say he actually spent very little time recruiting after those 2 big classes.