DRC: UTEP coach Dimel says UTEP never seriously considered site change, calls for UNT to forfeit if game isn't rescheduled in El Paso

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

give up a home game for our fans and head to El Paso to play

They already announced there were going to be no fans at the game - days earlier. 

So given that assumption for your hypothetical - no, I would not be mad at all. I would be mad that we prevented me from watching a game that weekend. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Like cancelling games when there is no real reason to do it? Reminder, no UTEP or UNT players or coaches have tested positive for covid.

Gonna need to add Smatresk to your fire train there pal. It was clear from both sides this was a presidential decision. Apparently you think Smatresk was so moved by Seth's fears of the mighty Miners that he, Baker and Seth agreed to cancel the game. What the heck?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Soooooo...if this had been a home game for UNT and Denton was in the midst of a significant coronavirus outbreak when all our hospital beds were full, and UTEP thought better about sending its team and personnel into that virus hot bed and the UTEP folks suggested we just pack up, give up a home game for our fans and head to El Paso to play that would be just fine, right? I seriously doubt that UNT would have agreed to such a move either.  What ya think?  I also think our fans would be pretty hacked off that UTEP cancelled.

I don't blame UTEP for not moving. I blame UTEP for acting like UNT is wrong for putting health and safety first. one of the differences here is I don't believe there is anyway UNT would attempt to have a football game (fans or no fans) in the midst of a county wide stay at home order with no hospital beds available, the convention center two blocks away being turned into a makeshift hospital by the governor, etc. That being said, UTEP doesn't have to move the game but my guess is they'll see more of this if their numbers don't change.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Although I don’t think Kram has the most pure intentions here I do think it is a fair question for him to ask at the next coach’s show. I encourage him to ask SL his thoughts if the roles were reversed how he would react. 

You can send it in if you think it is a good question. And, please enlighten me...what “impure intention” do I have here. I am anxious to know what I was thinking other than what I wrote. 

• Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Honestly this speaks to the lack of leadership at the conference level. CUSA should have stepped in a made the decision one way or the other (postpone or move the game). Not let the schools let it play out over social media.

Bingo! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Honestly this speaks to the lack of leadership at the conference level. CUSA should have stepped in a made the decision one way or the other (postpone or move the game). Not let the schools let it play out over social media.

UTEP fans are mad, but it’s nUTSAck fans that are fueling the fire on Twitter. 
I guess they love us that much...

4 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

The conference cannot make any school play a game.

They can punish a school for not playing, but that is certainly not going to happen.

What the conference should do is sanction UTEP for their leadership's stupid comments.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 10/28/2020 at 3:51 PM, xyresic said:

Per Football Scoop and the younger Barnett we were in contact with UTEP and CUSA in an effort to make this a mutual decision & they refused.  We offered to foot the bill for them to play here and they refused. Then they put out a PR blasting us, their President blasted us and then Dimel said we should forfeit. Their response has been ridiculous and I am embarrassed for them.

I very much forward to playing them in December or next year and showing absolutely no mercy.

This is what makes for heated rivalries!

Get some, Miners!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Conference schools already complain about going to UTEP when the virus isn't around. At a time when UTEP needs friends to be in a conference in BFE, they aren't looking for UNT's help. I can't imagine the attitude on display will win them many friends at other schools, either. WTF is their problem?

• Upvote 1