DRC: UTEP coach Dimel says UTEP never seriously considered site change, calls for UNT to forfeit if game isn't rescheduled in El Paso

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's almost like they (UTEP personnel) don't understand what's going on in their own town & why NT would be apprehensive about travelling there with over 100 people.

Their forum is a bit of a hoot.  Apparently blowing out ACU by 3 points turns them into the '85 Bears that other teams are afraid to play.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

You sir have lost your marbles....want to get on a fire SL train, go ahead, you shall find many of ppl on there with you....a Fire Baker train is absolutely ludicrous   That man has done more for NT athletics in 4 years that has been accomplished in damn near 100 years prior.

Like cancelling games when there is no real reason to do it? Reminder, no UTEP or UNT players or coaches have tested positive for covid.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 22

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

There is no danger. If the teams are negative there is no danger. I think they didn't want to play and possibly lose to UTEP. Just like the Houston game. I'm getting on the get rid of SL train now, and I'm also wanting to start a get rid of Baker train. This is ridiculous.

image.jpeg.314db75ba642582db78bc8f2c5de6dee.jpeg

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

There is no danger. If the teams are negative there is no danger. I think they didn't want to play and possibly lose to UTEP. Just like the Houston game. I'm getting on the get rid of SL train now, and I'm also wanting to start a get rid of Baker train. This is ridiculous.

I was at the coach’s show Tuesday night when the announcement came down. Looked like it was as big of a shock to Seth as it was to the rest of us. I think the decision was made above his head.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

ContentParallelAsiaticmouflon-max-1mb.gi

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Like cancelling games when there is no real reason to do it? Reminder, no UTEP or UNT players or coaches have tested positive for covid.

There are bus rides, plane trips, and AD staff who travel with the team.  Then, if a player gets hurt, there is possibly no option to go to a hospital if the campus facility isn’t enough.

but it sounds like you’ve already made up your mind.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't want the boys anywhere near El Paso right now. This is a no brainer IMHO. Make the thing up when it's safe to do so. #GMG

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/state-officials-are-tracking-hospital-beds-as-covid-19-cases-continues-to-rise/287-c8effd1d-dd44-42f7-8c00-838e79b40437

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I don't want the boys anywhere near El Paso right now. This is a no brainer IMHO. Make the thing up when it's safe to do so. #GMG

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/state-officials-are-tracking-hospital-beds-as-covid-19-cases-continues-to-rise/287-c8effd1d-dd44-42f7-8c00-838e79b40437

Also not looking great in other places in West Texas, so Apogee made more sense than a neutral location like Odessa.

• Upvote 2

Soooooo...if this had been a home game for UNT and Denton was in the midst of a significant coronavirus outbreak when all our hospital beds were full, and UTEP thought better about sending its team and personnel into that virus hot bed and the UTEP folks suggested we just pack up, give up a home game for our fans and head to El Paso to play that would be just fine, right? I seriously doubt that UNT would have agreed to such a move either.  What ya think?  I also think our fans would be pretty hacked off that UTEP cancelled.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 7

10 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Soooooo...if this had been a home game for UNT and Denton was in the midst of a significant coronavirus outbreak when all our hospital beds were full, and UTEP thought better about sending its team and personnel into that virus hot bed and the UTEP folks suggested we just pack up, give up a home game for our fans and head to El Paso to play that would be just fine, right? I seriously doubt that UNT would have agreed to such a move either.  What ya think?  I also think our fans would be pretty hacked off that UTEP cancelled.

Not sure if it was part of the deal or not, but you’d need to swap next year’s game too.  

10 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I don't think home games have the same cachet/advantage this season as in a normal year. But to get to the heart of your question, UTEP had the right to refuse to come to Denton (all expenses paid) and did so. Just like we had the right to refuse to go into the virus hotspot of the state, which we did. To me, one decision seems far weightier; and regardless, there's no reason to go off half cocked in public. Bad look. We gave them an option, they refused, now we look to reschedule in December when hopefully things have calmed in EP. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Uhm, yeah. Is that not clear? As for fans, they weren’t going to be allowed at this game anyway. If Denton were in a situation like El Paso is, I think our fans would have a lot more to worry about than a home football game (just like many UTEP fans have expressed). 

Before the season, I already said I viewed ANY game played this year as a bonus. I got no problem with anyone who cancels or postpones games for safety precautions.

I love having sports back, but a few football games here and there aren’t a big deal to me. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

We offered to cover their travel expenses.  UTEP Prez puts out initial communication that tries to put the entire weight of this decision on us, as if they had no say.  I think that makes this entire thing messier than it had to be.

Personally, I don't understand why UTEP didn't agree to travel.  I think if the circumstances were reversed, including the offer to cover travel, I seriously think we would have agreed.  Our Matt Simon fans would be happy to bring up the Safeway parking lot sentiment.  ANYWHERE ANYTIME BABY.  Baker and Co would have traveled.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Although I don’t think Kram has the most pure intentions here I do think it is a fair question for him to ask at the next coach’s show. I encourage him to ask SL his thoughts if the roles were reversed how he would react. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2