FR DB Garnett Burke Enters Transfer Portal

BillySee58

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

My point is transfers have been happening for decades. Troy Aikman didn’t need the transfer portal to transfer 35 years ago. I get being upset at transferring, but I feel like there is some sort of misconception about the transfer portal that seems to cause it to take on blame for transfers when it’s just a listing of the players transferring.

I have no idea if this is true, but I like to think this "portal" language came about because someone created a database software/interface that lists all available transfers, and all these athletic departments have access to it.

Like a player declares their schollie release/availability and their name immediately gets put in this list and schools can just see who is out there.  If you reach far enough, it's almost like a non-public version of the NFL draft.

16 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It’s looking like he doesn’t have to worry about losing a year of eligibility. Appears to be all but a done deal that the NCAA is going to allow players a one-time sit-out free transfer starting with the 2021 season. 

I would prefer if the one-time was after a players Sophomore year.  Not that I have evidence, but I believe the "threat" of young players transferring out is causing a lot of players who should be red-shirting to play.  If a coach doesn't feel he is ready and the player, or his parents disagrees this will make it easy for them to walk away. On the other hand, there might be a lot of P5 players available who have not been able to crack lineups, or been replaced by a younger, higher rated player.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would prefer if the one-time was after a players Sophomore year.  Not that I have evidence, but I believe the "threat" of young players transferring out is causing a lot of players who should be red-shirting to play.  If a coach doesn't feel he is ready and the player, or his parents disagrees this will make it easy for them to walk away. On the other hand, there might be a lot of P5 players available who have not been able to crack lineups, or been replaced by a younger, higher rated player.

Everyone’s eligibility is frozen until next season so there is no redshirting this season.

• Upvote 1

You guys gotta realize when a player announces he's jumping into the portal, there are typically issues they are having with the team and it's not just playing time.  It could be rules infractions, smoking dope, skipping too many classes, getting in trouble with the law.  I think everyone just sort of assumes it is always due to playing time or the team losing.  Most of the time when these dudes enter the portal it is with the 100% blessing of the coaching staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 5
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He may have been guessing. But I am hearing it was teams decision. Had a couple chances. Final strike was to much to move past from. 

I was asked by some people about who it was, so that could’ve been a strike on discipline.

He had great talent, but I guess just not mature enough

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He may have been guessing. But I am hearing it was teams decision. Had a couple chances. Final strike was to much to move past from. 

Quick question about transfers in general:

Do (can?) coaches talk to previous coaches about transfer candidates?  I mean, if I'm in the transfer portal, is it safe to assume Future Coach X is gonna call up Previous Coach Y and ask about any problems?  Or maybe the coaches can't talk and the kids enter the portal knowing they have a clean slate at the next school?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Quick question about transfers in general:

Do (can?) coaches talk to previous coaches about transfer candidates?  I mean, if I'm in the transfer portal, is it safe to assume Future Coach X is gonna call up Previous Coach Y and ask about any problems?  Or maybe the coaches can't talk and the kids enter the portal knowing they have a clean slate at the next school?

Yes, they do talk.  That was one of the big issues with Art Briles and some of the players he transferred in, one of whom had issues at Boise State (I think it was) that Chris Petersen said he warned him about.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Not sure, but the scholarship agreements are for a full-academic school year

Isn't the agreement voided if the student-athlete voluntarily withdraws from the team to pursue recruitment from other schools?  If Seth Littrell quit coaching at UNT to take a job at another school, UNT wouldn't be obligated to pay out his contract.

42 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Isn't the agreement voided if the student-athlete voluntarily withdraws from the team to pursue recruitment from other schools?  If Seth Littrell quit coaching at UNT to take a job at another school, UNT wouldn't be obligated to pay out his contract.

Sure. but coach is an employee (literally paid millions), while the players are student athletes. They may be getting a recompense, but it is not a salary with cushy golden parachutes. Coach has more responsibility to the school than vice versa. With the relationship between school and student athlete I could argue that the school has at least as much responsibility to its student as vice versa.

• Upvote 1

I would think each school might handle it different based on the student. Like any relationship there are "good" splits and "bad" breakups. I would think at a minimum they would keep them away from football related activities and areas, but at he same time would continue to offer things like educational support as their results impact the school.