FR DB Garnett Burke Enters Transfer Portal

BillySee58

Would've loved for Burke to have found his home in Denton and enjoyed the college experience there as much as I did.  Wishing him the best at his next stop.

Anyone know the NT student athlete exit interview process?  I hope anyone leaving the program via transfer, graduation, or otherwise is interviewed to keep Wren and his staff aware of the player perspective within the programs.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

Do we seem to be losing a lot of good talent (supposedly) lately or is it just my imagination? 

Burke has entered the transfer portal.  Sometimes kids enter the portal and end up back at their original school, sometimes they move on.  We shall see.

The only other player we are "missing" is Jordan Rucker who has opted out of this season.  No reason was given and nothing was said about him leaving the program.

• Upvote 2

I don't believe for a moment that Burke was afraid or unwilling to compete.  He was arguably the most talented safety that we had.  Yet, according to the depth chart he wasn't listed on the first three teams.  Instead the third team safeties were walk-ons with no rousing high school success.  The only thing different than when he signed on is the coach and I can only guess that he and Boren were oil and water.  He is the highest rated safety that we have signed other than a transfer and I believe that he was the most talented safety on the squad.  I guess we'll find out if that is true depending on where he goes.  If he is on the depth chart in the first or second year (starter or second team) then I believe that we'll know that the coach was the major factor in his leaving.

Edit:  Sorry this was supposed to be a response to the quote that is the second post above this.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I don't believe for a moment that Burke was afraid or unwilling to compete.  He was arguably the most talented safety that we had.  Yet, according to the depth chart he wasn't listed on the first three teams.  Instead the third team safeties were walk-ons with no rousing high school success.  The only thing different than when he signed on is the coach and I can only guess that he and Boren were oil and water.  He is the highest rated safety that we have signed other than a transfer and I believe that he was the most talented safety on the squad.  I guess we'll find out if that is true depending on where he goes.  If he is on the depth chart in the first or second year (starter or second team) then I believe that we'll know that the coach was the major factor in his leaving.

Edit:  Sorry this was supposed to be a response to the quote that is the second post above this.

No need to apologize. It’s just weird how a freshman like Upton Stout is playing well, and this one “talented” safety isn’t playing at all. I’m not bashing him, I just hope he gets it together. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

He was listed in the 2-deep heading into the Charlotte game. Right behind Cam Johnson at free safety.

C34670CA-34C2-47CB-BDC9-B01EF41681EB.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

No need to apologize. It’s just weird how a freshman like Upton Stout is playing well, and this one “talented” safety isn’t playing at all. I’m not bashing him, I just hope he gets it together. 

If he is not happy here then it is probably best for him to head down the road. Could be anything. Talent can get you by in HS, but at this level there are many other intangibles that come into play. This is one of the reasons you sometimes see walk-ons make it while scholarship players never do. 

• Upvote 5

It is his decision to make, I just find it an odd one. 

There are all kinds of factors that could be involved.

But just on a football basis, it would seem better to get in a year's work because you would not lose any eligibility by doing so.  Even if you never play, a year of training and practice has a lot of value. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

It is his decision to make, I just find it an odd one. 

There are all kinds of factors that could be involved.

But just on a football basis, it would seem better to get in a year's work because you would not lose any eligibility by doing so.  Even if you never play, a year of training and practice has a lot of value. 

It’s looking like he doesn’t have to worry about losing a year of eligibility. Appears to be all but a done deal that the NCAA is going to allow players a one-time sit-out free transfer starting with the 2021 season. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

He sounds like a quitter to me.  I can't start for UNT so I'll just take my ball and go home.

BTW, I hate this transfer portal crap!

Responses like this make me think that people believe the transfer portal is some entity that causes more players to transfer. It’s just a listing of all players who have chosen to transfer. Not like the transfer portal has enabled players to transfer. Players have always transferred, but for some reason when it happens now there always seems to be anger directed at the portal itself.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Responses like this make me think that people believe the transfer portal is some entity that causes more players to transfer. It’s just a listing of all players who have chosen to transfer. Not like the transfer portal has enabled players to transfer. Players have always transferred, but for some reason when it happens now there always seems to be anger directed at the portal itself.

I understand.  But some of us old guys prefer the days when a player committed to play football for a college or university and get an education too.

It's just an age thing with some of us dinosaurs.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I understand.  But some of us old guys prefer the days when a player committed to play football for a college or university and get an education too.

It's just an age thing with some of us dinosaurs.

My point is transfers have been happening for decades. Troy Aikman didn’t need the transfer portal to transfer 35 years ago. I get being upset at transferring, but I feel like there is some sort of misconception about the transfer portal that seems to cause it to take on blame for transfers when it’s just a listing of the players transferring.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4