UTEP 10/31/20

Big Z

On 10/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, southsideguy said:

It because El Paso will suck the life out of you.

If I'm going to Big Bend National Park or some other part of the Texas Transpecos region, which I like to do every few years, I'll fly in to El Paso and get a rent car and drive back from there, rather than face the rather depressing aspect of seeing the Midland Odessa area. I mean, just because we haven't won a football game the old West Texas town since maybe 45 years ago doesn't mean that El Paso has nothing to offer. 

Of course, defenders of Midland and Odessa, fire away. Nothing against those places, they're just not for me. I did take an east coaster to the Big Bend area (folks from all over the world vacation there), and they complained about the relative tedium of El Paso compared to Big Bend itself. I then described what the drive would be like traveling by way of those Permian Basin cities, and their demeanor immediately brightened, with eyes lifted to the hills.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, eulessismore said:

If I'm going to Big Bend National Park or some other part of the Texas Transpecos region, which I like to do every few years, I'll fly in to El Paso and get a rent car and drive back from there, rather than face the rather depressing aspect of seeing the Midland Odessa area. I mean, just because we haven't won a football game the old West Texas town since maybe 45 years ago doesn't mean that El Paso has nothing to offer. 

Of course, defenders of Midland and Odessa, fire away. Nothing against those places, they're just not for me. I did take an east coaster to the Big Bend area (folks from all over the world vacation there), and they complained about the relative tedium of El Paso compared to Big Bend itself. I then described what the drive would be like traveling by way of those Permian Basin cities, and their demeanor immediately brightened, with eyes lifted to the hills.

With all due respect, your screenname is "eulessismore."  

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

With all due respect, your screenname is "eulessismore."  

Hey, my wife owned a house here when we got married. Then, the first time I took her out to Far West Texas (to the town of Marfa, home of the coolest summer mornings in Texas, she let me know she did not want to live in the desert.

I was ok with that; one thing I enjoyed about Denton was the oak woodlands of the Cross Timbers region, especially compared to the generally treeless plains surrounding the Wichita Falls area where I grew up.

However, I've always enjoyed being in places of scenic beauty, but never felt like I had to live next to a National Park to enjoy them. I'd love to live someplace like Estes Park, but wouldn't love mandatory evacuations such as residents there have experienced.

And I will still tell anyone that there's beauty to be found all around you, if you'll just give it a chance. And I have nothing against anyone loving where they live; I just think some are too dismissive of places like El Paso, as I myself have been in the past.

And I really love my folks in Wichita Falls, and wish I could be with them more often, it's just tough these days. I'd suggest that before anyone reacts too harshly to perceived criticism of their home or favorite places, they might consider that Mac Davis' hit "Lubbock in a Rear View Mirror" was seen by many as a putdown of that place he so loved, unless they listened to the lyrics all the way through, and realized it was a love song to a place he came to miss.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, eulessismore said:

And I will still tell anyone that there's beauty to be found all around you, if you'll just give it a chance. And I have nothing against anyone loving where they live; I just think some are too dismissive of places like El Paso, as I myself have been in the past.

But the comment above flies in the face of your first comment unless you mean this to be about everywhere except Midland/Odessa.  Look, I scored the trifecta by living in Euless years ago, now living in Midland and working in Odessa.  The beauty out here is the morning and evening skies when they aren't filled with dust.  What I do like about this area is that I am three/four hours from the mountains of New Mexico, Big Bend or the Hill Country.

I was just yanking your chain with my comment about "eulessismore", but I did find it comical that you were critical of somewhere else when your screen name's nickname is Useless.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

But the comment above flies in the face of your first comment unless you mean this to be about everywhere except Midland/Odessa.  Look, I scored the trifecta by living in Euless years ago, now living in Midland and working in Odessa.  The beauty out here is the morning and evening skies when they aren't filled with dust.  What I do like about this area is that I am three/four hours from the mountains of New Mexico, Big Bend or the Hill Country.

I was just yanking your chain with my comment about "eulessismore", but I did find it comical that you were critical of somewhere else when your screen name's nickname is Useless.

We haven't heard that one here in a long time, but people are really pretty proud of Euless these days, so it doesn't matter. As I recall in my original post, I invited people to fire away, so you're welcome. Yeah, we win at football around here.

And really, I was just responding to another poster's slamming El Paso, I place I didn't care for the first few times I went through there, but grew to appreciate it as a gateway to the desert mountains I love.

Congratulations on loving your home, and to all you West Texans, best folks in the whole damned world!

• Upvote 1

I guess I am the one that made the comment.  I lived there for 18 years so I stick by my comment and El Paso is a great place to be from.   Lived in Euless for awhile no feelings bad or good for it.   Now I live in Denton, the only problem is growing and the roads cant handled the traffic and more crime is starting to show it ugly head.   There is no perfect place but home is where you make it.   Sorry if I offended anyone.  However, the comment about Lubbock still stands! 

I think the UTEP game maybe cancelled , El Paso is having a big outbreak of COVID right now so we shall see

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I guess I am the one that made the comment.  I lived there for 18 years so I stick by my comment and El Paso is a great place to be from.   Lived in Euless for awhile no feelings bad or good for it.   Now I live in Denton, the only problem is growing and the roads cant handled the traffic and more crime is starting to show it ugly head.   There is no perfect place but home is where you make it.   Sorry if I offended anyone.   

I think the UTEP game maybe cancelled , El Paso is having a big outbreak of COVID right now so we shall see

I suspect you're right. I'd love for us to play them this year, but I'd never assume anything about us and UTEP.

26 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Things are getting really bad in El Paso.   Making national news. Mayor has put a curfew in place.  We’ll see what the week holds. I hope we get this game in.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/us/el-paso-covid-surge-curfew/index.html

Move the game to Denton & fabulous Apogee Stadium.  

GMG!

• Upvote 4

Just now, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Part of the working guidelines is to limit non-essential traveling - which IMHO includes people from a high spread area to another area with lower spread.  I think the game gets cancelled. 

I agree with this. I just don't see how we can send our team to a location that has a curfew in place. AND I can't see how UTEP can justify having a football game under those circumstances.

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Meet in the middle and play in Midland.

This is probably the right answer.

North Texas moved their September 20, 1952 home game to a neutral site in Odessa because the new Eagle Stadium (Fouts Field) was not quite ready.

UTEP should return the courtesy on a weekend that their stadium cannot be utilized.

• Upvote 2