Untapped Potential On Offense

BillySee58

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4039082/jason-pirtle

Jason's career stats...IMO not bad since NT has good receivers that get most of the throws.

Yeah we’re not asking him to be a focal part of the offense, but by no means is he playing at a level that can’t be improved on. I’m trying to put it nicely.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Has anyone looked at the last 3-4 years and seen what the TE position load has been (no matter who is playing)?

From 2016-2018 we didn’t even have a tight end coach. Mainord was the inside receivers coach and Filani was the outside receivers coach. We also didn’t sign any tight ends in any of those 3 classes. Instead we started 4 receivers, with one inside receiver starting at the A position (Darden) and one inside receiver starting at the Y position (Michael Lawrence), which is now occupied by a tight end.

For those first few years the only tight ends on the roster were Kelvin Smith and Caleb Chumley, who were both inherited from Mccarney. But we started to see a philosophical shift in 2018 as they used Kelvin Smith more and started recruiting tight ends at that time, getting a commitment from Alberding for the 2019 class, then signing Christian Lee and Jake Roberts in 2020. 

Now we have a tight end on the field in our base formations, even if he’s split out in the slot like Pirtle often is. Which is part of the reason I’m calling for more Khatib Lyles. Pirtle is pretty frequently lined up in the slot, as opposed to being on the line of scrimmage where the blocking requirements might make more sense to hurt Lyles’ chances.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

On 10/19/2020 at 8:42 AM, MrStrange18 said:

While the Murphy twins didnt light up the stat sheet... they did get a sack and solid pressure... I think think that is something that we need to factor into the win this weekend.

Without them available, we are sorely lacking size on D. We need them to properly play this defense. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

From 2016-2018 we didn’t even have a tight end coach. Mainord was the inside receivers coach and Filani was the outside receivers coach. We also didn’t sign any tight ends in any of those 3 classes. Instead we started 4 receivers, with one inside receiver starting at the A position (Darden) and one inside receiver starting at the Y position (Michael Lawrence), which is now occupied by a tight end.

For those first few years the only tight ends on the roster were Kelvin Smith and Caleb Chumley, who were both inherited from Mccarney. But we started to see a philosophical shift in 2018 as they used Kelvin Smith more and started recruiting tight ends at that time, getting a commitment from Alberding for the 2019 class, then signing Christian Lee and Jake Roberts in 2020. 

Now we have a tight end on the field in our base formations, even if he’s split out in the slot like Pirtle often is. Which is part of the reason I’m calling for more Khatib Lyles. Pirtle is pretty frequently lined up in the slot, as opposed to being on the line of scrimmage where the blocking requirements might make more sense to hurt Lyles’ chances.

Routing running and the ability to find an open spot in the zone maybe? 

Frankly, I wish that they would move Lyles back to wide receiver; especially if we are able to land Gumm.  He might be good enough to start as a freshman.  Then with Alberding, Roberts and Lee that might become the most solid two deep position on our team.  Lyles is just too talented to get mired in a position where he would seldom see the field.  I'm not sure that he could start right away as a receiver but he should certainly be in the two deep.

• Upvote 2