Interesting stat

emmitt01

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

You are not far from my thinking. I honestly believe Littrell will never lead us to consistently winning the bigger G5 games necessary to challenge for the new year's access bowl. It has been years since he has beaten a program that finished their season with a winning record. As for the '19 and '20 recruits... Yes, they are much better than the quality he was bringing in when he first got to UNT. But, he still isn't bringing in enough high ranking talent on our offensive and defensive lines, and he isn't utilizing the transfer portal as effectively as the better G5 programs. So, I believe we will continue to fail against the likes of SMU. I want more for North Texas. I know it isn't popular to make these remarks, but I have to be honest about where I feel we are headed.

Oh man, I think we're perfectly in line with our priorities: take care of the trenches or nothing else matters.  I just happen to think there has been an uptick in recruiting in the lines.  @BillySee58 just elaborated on that.

Time will tell! Thanks for your honesty.  #GMG

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Oh man, I think we're perfectly in line with our priorities: take care of the trenches or nothing else matters.  I just happen to think there has been an uptick in recruiting in the lines.  @BillySee58 just elaborated on that.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Davontae-McCrae-129441/RecruitInterests/

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jonathan-Pickett-110510/RecruitInterests/

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kortlin-Rausaw-116645/RecruitInterests/

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Rayvon-Crum-137249/RecruitInterests/

Transferring in

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jacob-Farrell-105250/RecruitInterests/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I agree. Littrell has improved his recruitment on the lines. No doubt about that. On the surface it looks good and should help us be more competitive against the lower to middle of the road G5 programs. The problem is that our improvement isn't enough to help us catch up with the likes of SMU. When looking at the 2019, 2020, and even the 2021 classes, we are not recruiting offensive and defensive linemen at the level of SMU. In 2019, our highest rated OT came in at #144, while SMU's OT recruit came in at #47. In 2020, we sign the #43 OC recruit in the country, but SMU signed #16. Even in our current 2021 recruiting class, our WDE recruit is ranked #90, while SMU's is ranked #70. And if you look at our head to head battles for linemen, we are not even competitive with SMU. Since the 2019 class, we are 0-7 against SMU in head to head recruiting battles for offensive and defensive line recruits. So yes, we have improved in our recruitment of linemen, but not to the point where we can close the gap with the programs we wish to call our football peers. I just feel like if we don't acknowledge this fact, we cannot move forward and fix the problem. I appreciate you hearing me out and GMG!

NT is apparently full of fans that think one of the top offenses in the land does it with a poor offensive line.  As far as some of the comparisons being offered, NT is at this point not as good as SMU and very top G5 programs.  

NT has done well offensively against every team they have played.  It is the defense that must improve.  Hopefully, the Muts game signals a continuing improvement in the defense. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT is apparently full of fans that think one of the top offenses in the land does it with a poor offensive line.  As far as some of the comparisons being offered, NT is at this point not as good as SMU and very top G5 programs.  

NT has done well offensively against every team they have played.  It is the defense that must improve.  Hopefully, the Muts game signals a continuing improvement in the defense. 

Overall the North Texas offense has done well in the second half of games after opponents have put us away. Sure we are posting some points on the board, but a lot of those points are coming after the games have been decided. The MT game is the only game where we scored meaningful points late in an FBS game this season. In each of our first three games this season, our offense could only muster one touchdown by halftime. That is not the sign of an offensive juggernaut. Facts are stubborn things.

Halftime scores from this season's FBS Games...

North Texas 7 SMU (5-0) 34

North Texas 10 Southern Miss (1-3) 20

North Texas 7 Charlotte (1-2) 21

North Texas 21 MTSU (1-5) 28

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Overall the North Texas offense has done well in the second half of games after opponents have put us away. Sure we are posting some points on the board, but a lot of those points are coming after the games have been decided. The MT game is the only game where we scored meaningful points late in an FBS game this season. In each of our first three games this season, our offense could only muster one touchdown by halftime. That is not the sign of an offensive juggernaut. Facts are stubborn things.

Halftime scores from this season's FBS Games...

North Texas 7 SMU (5-0) 34

North Texas 10 Southern Miss (1-3) 20

North Texas 7 Charlotte (1-2) 21

North Texas 21 MTSU (1-5) 28

I don't expect you to get too excited over any positive NT stat.  Just continue your fire Littrell mantra.

SMU was just a superior team when NT played them.  NT was behind by 10, 14, and 7 at the half in the other games. 

Not good, but the opponent is hardly going to stop playing defense with those leads.   You could, but would never just as easily support the theory that NT's offense just got better in the second half. 

Before you post it, you certainly can state your views as many times as you want.  

I am unlike you willing to wait till more games are played, to come to an overall opinion on this year's team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't expect you to get too excited over any positive NT stat.  Just continue your fire Littrell mantra.

SMU was just a superior team when NT played them.  NT was behind by 10, 14, and 7 at the half in the other games. 

Not good, but the opponent is hardly going to stop playing defense with those leads.   You could, but would never just as easily support the theory that NT's offense just got better in the second half. 

Before you post it, you certainly can state your views as many times as you want.  

I am unlike you willing to wait till more games are played, to come to an overall opinion on this year's team. 

Nope. In those games our offense was most productive in the 4th QT, after we were too far behind to win. At the end of the 3rd QT in our losses we were losing by even more points than at halftime of those games. Since our deficits only grew in the second half of these games, the offense actually got worse. At the end of the 3rd against SMU we were behind by 41, against Southern Miss we were behind by 17, and against Charlotte, NT was behind by 21. None of that is evidence of being one of the best offenses in the country. If we had one of the best offenses in the FBS, we would post more than 2 TD's through 3 quarters against the likes of SMU, USM, and Charlotte.

Let's be honest, against SMU, USM, and Charlotte, most our our offensive scoring was garbage points in the 4th quarter. Against SMU, we posted 14 4th quarter garbage points. Against Southern Miss, we posted 14 4th quarter garbage points, and against Charlotte we posted 7 4th quarter garbage points.

Here are the scores at the end of the 3rd quarter in those games...

NT 14 SMU 55

NT 10 Southern Miss 27

NT 14 Charlotte 35

NT 42 MTSU 28

The truth is our offense played great against a terrible MT team, but aside from that has put up some big numbers mostly late in games against some of the worst teams in the FBS. #8 Southern Miss, Charlotte, and #3 MTSU are all ranked in the bottom 10 this week or on the waiting list. While the rankings are a spoof, they are fairly accurate in projecting just how bad G5 programs are.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30155963/there-never-another-eddie-van-halen-push-week-bottom-10

Also, we are half way through the season, and the easy part of the conference schedule is done. It is only going to get harder from here. I honestly believe every team left on our schedule will play better defense than those conference teams we have already played.

My stated opinion of our offense is based on where we are at this moment. As we play better defense it will certainly evolve. But, you are correct about my opinion on firing Littrell. He needs to go after this season is done.

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

Nope. In those games our offense was most productive in the 4th QT, after we were too far behind to win. At the end of the 3rd QT in our losses we were losing by even more points than at halftime of those games. Since our deficits only grew in the second half of these games, the offense actually got worse. At the end of the 3rd against SMU we were behind by 41, against Southern Miss we were behind by 17, and against Charlotte, NT was behind by 21. None of that is evidence of being one of the best offenses in the country. If we had one of the best offenses in the FBS, we would post more than 2 TD's through 3 quarters against the likes of SMU, USM, and Charlotte.

Let's be honest, against SMU, USM, and Charlotte, most our our offensive scoring was garbage points in the 4th quarter. Against SMU, we posted 14 4th quarter garbage points. Against Southern Miss, we posted 14 4th quarter garbage points, and against Charlotte we posted 7 4th quarter garbage points.

Here are the scores at the end of the 3rd quarter in those games...

NT 14 SMU 55

NT 10 Southern Miss 27

NT 14 Charlotte 35

NT 42 MTSU 28

The truth is our offense played great against a terrible MT team, but aside from that has put up some big numbers mostly late in games against some of the worst teams in the FBS. #8 Southern Miss, Charlotte, and #3 MTSU are all ranked in the bottom 10 this week or on the waiting list. While the rankings are a spoof, they are fairly accurate in projecting just how bad G5 programs are.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30155963/there-never-another-eddie-van-halen-push-week-bottom-10

Also, we are half way through the season, and the easy part of the conference schedule is done. It is only going to get harder from here. I honestly believe every team left on our schedule will play better defense than those conference teams we have already played.

My stated opinion of our offense is based on where we are at this moment. As we play better defense it will certainly evolve. But, you are correct about my opinion on firing Littrell. He needs to go after this season is done.

Not sure why you think NT has played through the easy part of their league schedule.  Charlotte is one of the higher rated teams and although NT plays the highest ranked team on their schedule in UAB, the rest of the games are hardly unwinnable. 

The games were not decided at the half, now that you have changed it to the fourth quarter; then yes they were.   

The rest of the season will be a big test for NT, I at least have hope that they can be competitive in every game.