The Defense

p_phelps

Even though the defense was still pretty bad overall. They were the most energized and actually watchable for the first time this year. I saw a lot of the younger guys making plays tonight and that should be what happens the rest of the year. Seth called this year a "free year", so play the younger more talented but low experienced players. Loved the twins flashing tonight, #35 seemed very fast off the ball and was causing the qb to flush the pocket a lot. Nixon was a hard hitting linebacker, he needs to be careful though, I saw a lot of after the snap things that could be unsportsmanlike conduct with different refs. Overall they weren't good but at least it was watchable and something to build on.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Even though the defense was still pretty bad overall. They were the most energized and actually watchable for the first time this year. I saw a lot of the younger guys making plays tonight and that should be what happens the rest of the year. Seth called this year a "free year", so play the younger more talented but low experienced players. Loved the twins flashing tonight, #35 seemed very fast off the ball and was causing the qb to flush the pocket a lot. Nixon was a hard hitting linebacker, he needs to be careful though, I saw a lot of after the snap things that could be unsportsmanlike conduct with different refs. Overall they weren't good but at least it was watchable and something to build on.

The sidelines were excited for the first time in a while, players flying all over the field (after the 1st quarter) and some good plays by the young guys like the Murphy twins and Gaddie.

This was definitely a progress game, and for sure a confidence booster for this last stretch of games. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

One touchdown was defensive too, so really just 28 points given up by the defense. 

I say two TDs given up by the offense. The fumble return for a TD and the interception returned to the 15 was practically giving them a TD. The defense could have actually stopped that TD had they played disciplined. They gave up penalties down there that gave MTSU new life.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Venson said:

I say two TDs given up by the offense. The fumble return for a TD and the interception returned to the 15 was practically giving them a TD. The defense could have actually stopped that TD had they played disciplined. They gave up penalties down there that gave MTSU new life.

Those penalties are the reason I put it on the defense.  Otherwise I usually give them a break.  

22 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

1. Grayson Twins. Were they not in shape coming in? Did they have COVID? They still looked banged up but are difference makers at linebacker.

2. Gaddie. Is he a safety now? Saw him flying to the ball making tackles.

3. Is MTSU bad at blocking or is our dline finally getting pressure?

Not sure cramps have anything to do with being in shape. 

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure cramps have anything to do with being in shape. 

Cramps have to do with not properly hydrating all week. They need someone to make sure these guys are pushing fluids during the week. People tend not to drink when they are not thirsty, but when you are going to be sweating a lot, you need to push those fluids even when you are not thirsty.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't able to watch the game so hopefully y'all saw something to base this on, but...

As has been said a million times, SL wins against bad teams and is destroyed by good ones and MT is bad.

And even in the wins, we've still shown how bad the D can be.  For example, the concerns for the D started with the first game last year against ACU.  Against HBU, it was way too close until we pulled away at the end.

Glad to hear the D is improving and especially that some of the younger ones are getting some PT and showing potential.  GMG!

• Confused 1