Let's Discuss the Updated QB Battle

UNT18Grad

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Right. It paid off tonight but I didn’t like that precedent. Bean has turned the ball over plenty in his career. Do we yank him if he throws two picks in a half, and go back to Aune where the running game just couldn’t get going consistently? But if the running game is looking like this then the passing lanes will be wide open

It obviously worked, so if it is precedent: it is not a bad one. 

Bean's speed adds so much to the offense.  Having multiple capable QB's is a great asset.  

Citing Bean's turnovers, is a strange tactic when comparing QBs just after a game in which NT had 3 turnovers with Aune at the helm. 

It is unquestionable to me, who should start the next game at Qb.  If Bean doesn't perform than bring in Aune.  If neither perform, play Martin.  

I'm glad we got the dub, and I'm glad Bean played well.

If he can win a game with his arm, I'll be a believer. Teams will stack the box with him and try and take away his speed. If he has to throw the ball 40 times, is he gonna look just as good? 

At this point just figure out a way to win. I don't care. I'm just tired of getting our asses handed to us.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Why don't we do what the Steelers did with Kordell Stewart that year when Neil O'Donnell was QB? They made him Slash. He was QB/WR/RB. It worked until Kordell decided he just wanted to be a QB and then he was exposed as average at best at QB and quickly traded away. LOL. We can do that with Bean. Teams would never know who is going to throw, Aune or Bean. Then we get both guys on the field. I'm just kidding, but I think they could throw a few offensive plays in there like that each game. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

It obviously worked, so if it is precedent: it is not a bad one. 

Bean's speed adds so much to the offense.  Having multiple capable QB's is a great asset.  

Citing Bean's turnovers, is a strange tactic when comparing QBs just after a game in which NT had 3 turnovers with Aune at the helm. 

It is unquestionable to me, who should start the next game at Qb.  If Bean doesn't perform than bring in Aune.  If neither perform, play Martin.  

I’m not complaining, and I’m not saying it’s questionable who should be the starter. I love the way things transpired, and I’m not saying it didn’t make sense to pull Aune. My point is that our focus should be on developing a QB and playing through some struggles. I love the way the offense looked and I don’t want to see Bean yanked because of one bad game where he’s turning the ball over. We clearly have something with him running the offense and that needs to be developed even when things aren’t going good as yesterday.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

When Bean can run it he's the better option.  If we're going to roll with Bean then the offense has to be designed around his skill set. My concern with Bean, some teams will shut that down real quick. Then what? 

Aune is clearly the more talented passer. 

So, given that, they should both play. With Bean being the every 3rd series change of pace QB. 

Yeah, w/o seeing the game, how much of this was MT not being prepared for Bean?  Will other teams have a plan that can stop him.  

Also, what was the MT D line like?  Maybe this is one of the few gams where our line could win the battle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm glad we got the dub, and I'm glad Bean played well.

If he can win a game with his arm, I'll be a believer. Teams will stack the box with him and try and take away his speed. If he has to throw the ball 40 times, is he gonna look just as good? 

At this point just figure out a way to win. I don't care. I'm just tired of getting our asses handed to us.

6C6A393E-6EC1-4AE6-BF67-7AC75CFF3870.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I miss Mason Fine.

I've never been a fan of rotating QBs and not having a #1 is just unstable.  The team needs to know who their offensive leader is.

Make a decision on a starter and stick with it.  There is valuable experience to be gained by having to play your way through a bad game vs. watching it from the bench.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/17/2020 at 9:48 PM, UNTLifer said:

The difference in Bean tonight, to me, was the confidence he showed.  He looked comfortable throwing the ball, was decisive with the option reads and didn't look hesitant to run the ball.  He is an incredible talent, and my knock on him in the past was that he looked overwhelmed with the game.  Man, he looked so much better tonight.  Every game will obviously not be this easy, but if he can just lead like he did tonight, then he can be a game changer....  Great decision making tonight.

This...Because a +1 just won’t do.  Bean was not shaky last night.  He was confident and looked like a leader.  Hope it’s a sign he’s turned the corner.  Interested in next week's game for the first time in a while.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

This...Because a +1 just won’t do.  Bean was not shaky last night.  He was confident and looked like a leader.  Hope it’s a sign he’s turned the corner.  Interested in next week's game for the first time in a while.

Well I can guarantee that we will not lose this week... 😉

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

That fumble isn't on him.  The rb just let the corner come free.  The interceptions were though.

Sorry. But that fumble was very much on him. Yes the defender shouldn't be free like that, but does not mean it is ok if that becomes a fumble. That fumble was no freak accident where the defender got lucky to poke it out. The defender was not invisible or covered up until the last second. With a bit of awareness Aune oughta be tucking that ball. Aune was blindly scanning one side downfield, showing a lack awareness and not taking care of the ball.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/19/2020 at 3:11 AM, outoftown said:

Sorry. But that fumble was very much on him. Yes the defender shouldn't be free like that, but does not mean it is ok if that becomes a fumble. That fumble was no freak accident where the defender got lucky to poke it out. The defender was not invisible or covered up until the last second. With a bit of awareness Aune oughta be tucking that ball. Aune was blindly scanning one side downfield, showing a lack awareness and not taking care of the ball.

Sorry, I don't see that at all.  As far as not seeing the corner, Aune scanned the field right to left and the corner hadn't moved yet (corner came from the right) and he was throwing to the left side of the field. From snap of the ball to the hit it was 1.2 seconds and Aune was in the middle of passing with the ball behind his head when he got hit and the defender hit the ball.  A very small percentage of QBs hang on to the ball in that situation, if any.  

• Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

Sorry, I don't see that at all.  As far as not seeing the corner, Aune scanned the field right to left and the corner hadn't moved yet (corner came from the right) and he was throwing to the left side of the field. From snap of the ball to the hit it was 1.2 seconds and Aune was in the middle of passing with the ball behind his head when he got hit and the defender hit the ball.  A very small percentage of QBs hang on to the ball in that situation, if any.  

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. i just rewatched the replay of that in that gameday plus video, and the defender who tackles him makes at least 6 or 7 steps without anyone between them (fully visible) and he never looks. The guy has even time to redirect after not falling for the run option. To me that is simply a lack of awareness.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. i just rewatched the replay of that in that gameday plus video, and the defender who tackles him makes at least 6 or 7 steps without anyone between them (fully visible) and he never looks. The guy has even time to redirect after not falling for the run option. To me that is simply a lack of awareness.

We will, because once he looks over the field his head goes down to look for the snap.  It was probably the best call/best luck that defense had all day and was timed perfectly because the safety barely got there in time for the corner to rush.  The rb should be the one who saw that and picked him up.

• Lovely Take 1