Let's Discuss the Updated QB Battle

UNT18Grad

Everyone saw the game today, Bean looked great. However, we also found ourselves in this situation at the beginning of the season.  Can Bean succeed when the other teams defense forces him to pass and not have wide open running lanes?  On the flip side, can Aune actually be better in those situations?

To me, it looks like we have 2 average QB's.  Bean does have the speed, but when teams actually have the game plan to shut that down it hasn't looked so great.  We executed well today, but expecting to continue to put up record breaking offensive numbers probably isn't realistic either.

I'm honestly completely unsure what to think and I'm not a fan at all of continuing to bench our QB when he's not doing well and then the other guy comes in and does better, but what else should we do?

Just figured we could start a discussion here since I'm sure this will be the main topic of the next week.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4

When Bean can run it he's the better option.  If we're going to roll with Bean then the offense has to be designed around his skill set. My concern with Bean, some teams will shut that down real quick. Then what? 

Aune is clearly the more talented passer. 

So, given that, they should both play. With Bean being the every 3rd series change of pace QB. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

Bean was great tonight. If we are going to run the ball first and pass off of that then Bean would be the option.  If we go with the offense we've been running since Littrell has shown up, then I still think Aune is the best.  Maybe this is what our line would have looked like in the first four games had we been running this offense, but it's probably more the muts defense.  I said at th beginning of the season that I expect the QB’s to be switched out through the whole season, not because the were both good, but because they were both average. 

I hope Bean proves me wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I was backing AA. But Bean won the starting job next game. But the question will be if he can put two good games together in a row. But he was awesome against Muts.

I was as well with the difference being Aune's presence.  Well, Bean looked like a different player tonight.  He deserves the next start.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Based on the way tonight's game went, there shouldn't be any controversy.  Bean is our starter in our next game.

But the way the season has gone, the precedent has been set--if any QB isn't doing well, he's getting pulled for the other guy, and pretty quick.

Right. It paid off tonight but I didn’t like that precedent. Bean has turned the ball over plenty in his career. Do we yank him if he throws two picks in a half, and go back to Aune where the running game just couldn’t get going consistently? But if the running game is looking like this then the passing lanes will be wide open

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

When Bean can run it he's the better option.  If we're going to roll with Bean then the offense has to be designed around his skill set. My concern with Bean, some teams will shut that down real quick. Then what? 

Aune is clearly the more talented passer. 

So, given that, they should both play. With Bean being the every 3rd series change of pace QB. 

If Aune is the most talented passer, he is yet to show it. 

There should be no question who the number QB is after this game.   

Some of you don't seem to grasp how fast Bean is.  Let team stack the line and see what happens.   There should be multiple receivers open.  There has been nothing evident to me that suggest Aune has a better arm.

It is obvious, that Bean has not proven he can be consistent game to game at QB, but Aune certainly hasn't proven that ether. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’m amazed we’re still having this discussion.  This isn’t a “styles” argument.  This isn’t about “being hot”.  

Quarterbacking is about one thing above all else.  You have the ball in your hands on every offensive play.  You can’t give the ball to the other team.  

Aune has 8 TD’s (passing and rushing) this year...and 4 INT’s...and 3 fumbles.  This after playing pretty much all of the snaps in the Southern Miss and Charlotte games.  

Jason Bean has 10 TD’s (rushing and passing)...and 1 INT.  

Bean may not pass your “eye test”, but he passes my “eye-N-T” test.  

This discussion exists In part because of Beans career stats, not just this season.

but the lesson from this game still stands: Bean earned the next start.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNT18Grad said:

Everyone saw the game today, Bean looked great. However, we also found ourselves in this situation at the beginning of the season.  Can Bean succeed when the other teams defense forces him to pass and not have wide open running lanes?  On the flip side, can Aune actually be better in those situations?

To me, it looks like we have 2 average QB's.  Bean does have the speed, but when teams actually have the game plan to shut that down it hasn't looked so great.  We executed well today, but expecting to continue to put up record breaking offensive numbers probably isn't realistic either.

I'm honestly completely unsure what to think and I'm not a fan at all of continuing to bench our QB when he's not doing well and then the other guy comes in and does better, but what else should we do?

Just figured we could start a discussion here since I'm sure this will be the main topic of the next week.

The key here is the Oline. IMO, the Oline was successful tonight for the most part in the pass game. HOWEVER, the Oline was fantastic in the run game tonight. Offense goes as the oline goes. Oline gave both the RBs and Bean the running room they needed.

Scheming against the QB run is a good point. At the beginning of the year I thought Aune was the better passer and Bean was the better runner, but Bean didn't turn the ball over, either on a fumble or on an INT, and his passes had good "zip" to them when needed. Aune pressed tonight and got two INTs in the first quarter for it. He also held the ball too long on the RPO play where he fumbled. That was a theme against Charlotte as well in terms of Aune turnovers.

I'm excited to see what Bean can do. I want our RBs to control the game though. I'm not comfortable with either QB and we need to put every effort into the Oline runblocking and our RB room until either Bean or Aune can confirm their status as starter, though at this point, Bean should obviously be the starter. That being said, arm talent is a thing and, at this point, I do think in terms of power Aune has the more powerful arm. If he can get the other stuff sorted, maybe he can reclaim the starting position. However, we roll with Bean at this point. If he struggles, try Aune again. It really plays to us that they have a different skillset. If we swap them out midgame it changes the dynamics of the entire offense.

• Upvote 3

It is possible for players to change and grow, sometimes incredibly quick. Bean may have just done that. For some players, riding the bench, blowing their first chance, or even having to transfer is exactly what is needed. A QB does more than hurl footballs. A QB runs the team, and the character and mood of the QB often is reflected in the rest of the offense. We saw a great example of that tonight. This wasn’t just a different player after Bean went in, it was a different team. You can’t chalk that up to a player just having a good night.

What I really suspect happened is that Seth stuck with his original scheme for a respectable amount of time. A coach which allows his plan to be upended by one or two games isn’t a very good coach. He had his scheme, he had his caller, and he had his plan. After Charlotte, it was on thin ice, players were getting restless (both happy Seth wasn’t giving up on Aune but worried that it wasn’t going to work out) and once it became obvious that it wasn’t getting any better tonight, he blew it up. He decided to put in someone different, call a different scheme (which was pretty obviously prepared before the game - he knew that he might be doing this), and... it worked. That’s a good coach. A less capable coach would either have kept doing the same thing while drinking more Diet Coke, or decided to use the first excuse to let his son take over and make a good player transfer.

Seth announced Aune as the starter today, but with the intention of him playing a few series and subbing in Bean. That worked very well. Now it’s Bean’s to keep.

Edited by Legend500
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

The most amazing thing about NT's QB is that according to the NT official site both started on defense.  Aune as a de and Bean as a lb.  

I have often questioned the participation report NT puts out, but how could anyone make those kinds of mistakes. 

I’m Just happy North Texas State won today

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Most of us thought Aune was the better passer and more accurate with his throws and Bean was clearly the best runner and was not as accurate. What we have all witnessed is...Aune is not that accurate and has not held on to the ball. Bean came in today and showed us his speed and he is as accurate as Aune’s arm.

In my opinion since Bean won the job at the beginning of the season and from his performance today he should be the guy for the rest of the season. That can obviously change in this crazy year and we made need Aune again but I am excited to watch the rest of the games again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The most amazing thing about NT's QB is that according to the NT official site both started on defense.  Aune as a de and Bean as a lb.  

I have often questioned the participation report NT puts out, but how could anyone make those kinds of mistakes. 

McCrae #2 and T. Davis #5

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Based on the way tonight's game went, there shouldn't be any controversy.  Bean is our starter in our next game.

But the way the season has gone, the precedent has been set--if any QB isn't doing well, he's getting pulled for the other guy, and pretty quick.

Is three turnovers “pretty quick”?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Legend500 said:

It is possible for players to change and grow, sometimes incredibly quick. Bean may have just done that. For some players, riding the bench, blowing their first chance, or even having to transfer is exactly what is needed. A QB does more than hurl footballs. A QB runs the team, and the character and mood of the QB often is reflected in the rest of the offense. We saw a great example of that tonight. This wasn’t just a different player after Bean went in, it was a different team. You can’t chalk that up to a player just having a good night.

What I really suspect happened is that Seth stuck with his original scheme for a respectable amount of time. A coach which allows his plan to be upended by one or two games isn’t a very good coach. He had his scheme, he had his caller, and he had his plan. After Charlotte, it was on thin ice, players were getting restless (both happy Seth wasn’t giving up on Aune but worried that it wasn’t going to work out) and once it became obvious that it wasn’t getting any better tonight, he blew it up. He decided to put in someone different, call a different scheme (which was pretty obviously prepared before the game - he knew that he might be doing this), and... it worked. That’s a good coach. A less capable coach would either have kept doing the same thing while drinking more Diet Coke, or decided to use the first excuse to let his son take over and make a good player transfer.

Seth announced Aune as the starter today, but with the intention of him playing a few series and subbing in Bean. That worked very well. Now it’s Bean’s to keep.

You should write fiction for a living. 

Diet Coke went 5-1 against MTSU

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2