OT: Liberty Beats Syracuse

Side Show Joe

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

And people still think they're below is and not worth inviting. 

All that money, 3 years in, and still no one has extended an invite.

Maybe a conference invite is about to happen, or maybe there are more people than you think that want nothing to do with them.

One way or the other, we will find out.

Well, I can't see one reason why people wouldn't want liberty in their conference. I certainly know why some people don't want liberty University. But can the same be said for SMU, Baylor ETC. When has money in college football been a negative. Every time I watch UT play, especially against UNT, then NTSU in 1988, we all know or should have known that UT was paying the refs full mortgage IE paying off their houses. With the absolutely ridiculous inbound reception to Keith Cash three yards out of bounds in the end zone at War Memorial stadium. I really don't understand the SMU reference, unless you mean that liberty is paying their players. The governor of Texas at the time was contributing to SMU athletics. I don't want to even get into how the son of one of the Pony Express got the pirate fired at Texas Tech, I digress. But, talent always prevails even if it takes years. The pirate's now that Mississippi State. I bet the pirate hates being in the SEC!!!

I certainly don't think Liberty University has to pay their players to come play good football, or participate in other sports. Liberty University just probably provides a great college degree. You might not agree with the degree that the students at that college are going to get. But, once again that's their personal choice and their personal decision. That they believe will benefit their lives.

Just because liberty spends a lot of money because they have it, if spent the right way doesn't mean that won't buy you quality, professional services. So their athletic department is loaded. That buys good facilities, good coaching, and they can go out and recruit. Then put a quality product on the field. The way UNT looks this year you'd really have to be drinking green Kool-Aid not to think that Liberty is way better than UNT. Regardless of how young their program is.

From a business standpoint C-USA should offer liberty tomorrow.

I think C-USA would be lucky to get Liberty University.

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Liberty looks like an Eastern version of BYU in football if things continue to go in the right direction for them. They won’t need a conference for football with all the ACC, AAC, SBCUSA, and MAC teams they will play.

Their leadership leads me to believe they will implode at some point due to self-inflicted issues.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

With Falwell Jr out of the picture, I would think Liberty could be more attractive to a conference now. As far as joining CUSA, I am not so certain they would be welcomed by ODU.  Virginia is not a small state by any means but there are already 4 FBS schools in the state and JMU could easily compete in SBC or CUSA. 

Early on, Falwell the Elder said he wanted Liberty to be the "protestant Notre Dame" in college athletics. It looks like they are on their way.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, UNTMike81 said:

Well, I can't see one reason why people wouldn't want liberty in their conference. I certainly know why some people don't want liberty University. But can the same be said for SMU, Baylor ETC. When has money in college football been a negative. Every time I watch UT play, especially against UNT, then NTSU in 1988, we all know or should have known that UT was paying the refs full mortgage IE paying off their houses. With the absolutely ridiculous inbound reception to Keith Cash three yards out of bounds in the end zone at War Memorial stadium. I really don't understand the SMU reference, unless you mean that liberty is paying their players. The governor of Texas at the time was contributing to SMU athletics. I don't want to even get into how the son of one of the Pony Express got the pirate fired at Texas Tech, I digress. But, talent always prevails even if it takes years. The pirate's now that Mississippi State. I bet the pirate hates being in the SEC!!!

I certainly don't think Liberty University has to pay their players to come play good football, or participate in other sports. Liberty University just probably provides a great college degree. You might not agree with the degree that the students at that college are going to get. But, once again that's their personal choice and their personal decision. That they believe will benefit their lives.

Just because liberty spends a lot of money because they have it, if spent the right way doesn't mean that won't buy you quality, professional services. So their athletic department is loaded. That buys good facilities, good coaching, and they can go out and recruit. Then put a quality product on the field. The way UNT looks this year you'd really have to be drinking green Kool-Aid not to think that Liberty is way better than UNT. Regardless of how young their program is.

From a business standpoint C-USA should offer liberty tomorrow.

I think C-USA would be lucky to get Liberty University.

Well I guess the C-USA didn't want to be lucky considering they denied them even though they are good in most sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Falwell's venture into national politics spooked both the SBC and CUSA. If his replacement avoids this then Liberty should receive conference consideration. They are a very conservative Christian university and plan on being a magnet for like minded students and supporters with deep pockets. They could go the independent route like BYU, but it would take years to develop the same name recognition. 

32 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

With Falwell Jr out of the picture, I would think Liberty could be more attractive to a conference now. As far as joining CUSA, I am not so certain they would be welcomed by ODU.  Virginia is not a small state by any means but there are already 4 FBS schools in the state and JMU could easily compete in SBC or CUSA. 

Early on, Falwell the Elder said he wanted Liberty to be the "protestant Notre Dame" in college athletics. It looks like they are on their way.

They still have McCaw at AD who oversaw the Briles era at Baylor and Hugh Freeze as the HC when he isn't out courting prostitutes.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

They still have McCaw at AD who oversaw the Briles era at Baylor and Hugh Freeze as the HC when he isn't out courting prostitutes.

Understood, but ethics and college football parted ways long ago, unfortunately.  If this mattered, schools would not be agreeing to play them.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Livery will never join a conference because you can question their academics and ethics. They boast 110,000 student population, only 15,000 actually live on campus. Plus there is that stuff with Falwell and his wife plus all the anti LGBT+ plus, either perceived or in reality. They’re not getting an invite anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1