SO DB Jordan Rucker Opts Out

BillySee58

Just now, MeanGreenZen said:

Can someone please clarify for me: This season does not count against eligibility for anyone does it?

So a fifth-year senior could play this season then come back and play again next year. Is that correct?

That’s the way I understand it but I wouldn’t take my word for it.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Can someone please clarify for me: This season does not count against eligibility for anyone does it?

So a fifth-year senior could play this season then come back and play again next year season. Is that correct?

That's correct. Even Seth Littrell called it a "free season" during his most recent media show.

Worth noting that the one time transfer without having to sit out a season is expected to become official next season.

I personally don't believe that's the case here because if he wanted to transfer to a better school than UNT you would think starting and doing well for us this season would be the smart move especially since sitting out doesn't preserve any eligibility.

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

so the new players coming in and the old players staying does the number of scholarships increase with the free season?

So it sounds like seniors will not count towards the 85-scholarship limit. Which means you get up to 85 players excluding the guys who would have had their eligibility expire this season.

The problem this will present is in 2022 and beyond. If you get up to 85 scholarships on guys who are freshmen through juniors, where is the room for the next incoming freshmen class? NCAA will have to figure this situation out.

• Upvote 1

Another "swing and a miss" on a transfer player for the Mean Green.  Oh, well, at least SMU has figured it out! 

Wish the kid well, and will wait for the "rest of the story" to emerge.  Didn't seem to get much playing time for whatever reason. Sort of wondering what's up.