Let's Talk Salary $$$

greenb.o.g.

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Fire Baker?  Some of you have me shaking my head.

I'm not a follower much things not football outside of the occasional basketball game. WB, under his leadership, is about to watch his hire/raise/extension bury this football program. And we're so small time WB doesn't even have to address what's unfolding. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

On 10/15/2020 at 6:06 PM, GrandGreen said:

Yes, the AD is responsible for all aspects of sports. 

Why not go higher, and get rid of the President, Chancellor (if anyone knows who she is), and get a new board of regents. 

The AD could not have signed anyone to a contract like Littrell's without their approval. 

Baker appeared to have made a bad decision with the Littrell contract.  However, anyone familiar with sports should know why it happened.   Littrell had turned around a bad program and had one of the most aggressive agents around. 

Don't downplay the job Baker has done on the overall NT athletic program.   All sports other than football and possibly swimming are doing very well. Swimming, I think suffers from their facilities. 

Baker may have erred with the Littrell contract, but that doesn't completely negate the positives he is responsible for. 

Yeah, anybody saying Baker and Smatresk should be fired have no idea what we were dealing with for the previous 30 years.   As many of us noted at the time, it definitely was a mistake for Baker to give SL the extension so early and now we're stuck with it, but it's one of the few mistakes he's made.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah, anybody saying Baker and Smatresk should be fired have no idea what we were dealing with for the previous 30 years.   As many of us noted at the time, it definitely was a mistake for Baker to give SL the extension so early and now we're stuck with it, but it's one of the few mistakes he's made.

Agreed on what your saying, but that mistake WB made is one gigantic and costly mistake if SL has to be fired before he has a year left on his contract.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:30 PM, UNTLifer said:

Fire Baker?  Some of you have me shaking my head.

I don't want Wren gone, but I do expect him to fix this situation. That's his job.

If we have to wait until Littrell's contract is up to find a coach that can earn a $1.865 million salary, than our team will be playing in front of COVID sized crowds long after the pandemic is over. UNT can't afford to flush another decade down the toilet.

Right now, Wren won't even address the problem. That has me concerned. If he can't or won't fix it, than yeah fans will turn on him too. Sure other sports are good or improving, but this is Texas and football is everything. I can't imagine most hard core season ticket holders are willing to endure 3 more seasons of this crap.

• Eye Roll 2

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Unless our team full of sophomores and freshmen develop like they should and this season is just part of the process. 

I understand your position, but don't you think it is fair to question why we are even in this situation?

A head coach making $1.865 million a season, should not have us in this situation in his fifth season in charge. Other coaches don't need this much time to develop players. Liberty just beat Syracuse today. We are not what we should be. If Littrell was going to build us into something special we would be there by now.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I understand your position, but don't you think it is fair to question why we are even in this situation?

A head coach making $1.865 million a season, should not have us in this situation in his fifth season in charge. Other coaches don't need this much time to develop players. Liberty just beat Syracuse today. We are not what we should be. If Littrell was going to build us into something special we would be there by now.

You'd think. 🌞 pumper gonna pump though. 

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

I don't want Wren gone, but I do expect him to fix this situation. That's his job.

If we have to wait until Littrell's contract is up to find a coach that can earn a $1.865 million salary, than our team will be playing in front of COVID sized crowds long after the pandemic is over. UNT can't afford to flush another decade down the toilet.

Right now, Wren won't even address the problem. That has me concerned. If he can't or won't fix it, than yeah fans will turn on him too. Sure other sports are good or improving, but this is Texas and football is everything. I can't imagine most hard core season ticket holders are willing to endure 3 more seasons of this crap.

Most of us have no idea what Baker is doing or not doing.   It should be obvious an AD is not going to publicly berate an active coach. 

Many would think it unfair to judge a coach this season, when multiple players are routinely unavailable. .   Plus all teams are losing unparalleled attendance dollars, while adding high expenses for dealing with the coronavirus environment.   So buying out a massive contract (at UNT's level) is probably not even an option. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Most of us have no idea what Baker is doing or not doing.   It should be obvious an AD is not going to publicly berate an active coach. 

Many would think it unfair to judge a coach this season, when multiple players are routinely unavailable. .   Plus all teams are losing unparalleled attendance dollars, while adding high expenses for dealing with the coronavirus environment.   So buying out a massive contract (at UNT's level) is probably not even an option. 

This is just an excuse. Every program is dealing with multiple players being out. Our problem is that Littrell never acquired the talent needed to begin with (recruiting/portal), and now we are trying to develop young guys before they are ready. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year (.500), not a basket case.

Regardless of the factors surrounding our program, it is Wren's job to fix it. Keeping Littrell for a few more seasons in the hope that he develops our young players is not a realistic option if UNT is serious about football, and it will hurt the health and overall perception of our program. Wren doesn't have to publicly berate Littrell to let the fan base know he is working on the problem. There are simple statements that would imply he is actively working on the issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

This is just an excuse. Every program is dealing with multiple players being out. Our problem is that Littrell never acquired the talent needed to begin with (recruiting/portal), and now we are trying to develop young guys before they are ready. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year (.500), not a basket case.

Regardless of the factors surrounding our program, it is Wren's job to fix it. Keeping Littrell for a few more seasons in the hope that he develops our young players is not a realistic option if UNT is serious about football, and it will hurt the health and overall perception of our program. Wren doesn't have to publicly berate Littrell to let the fan base know he is working on the problem. There are simple statements that would imply he is actively working on the issue.

Fire Coach O, Herman, Riley, etc...

• Upvote 2

Nothing changed with yesterday. SL is still a decent middle of the road C-USA coach who is unfortunately paid as if he were the potentially best C-USA coach, the kind of coach who is continuously contending for the championship and winning some of them. which he has not managed. NT could do worse than SL. But it could definitely also get the same production for considerably less moolah. This last fact needs to be appropriately factored the next time WB goes into contract extension talks both in terms of base salary and in terms of buyout (both directions there)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Fire Coach O, Herman, Riley, etc...

Apples to oranges...

We got a much needed win against a really bad MT team, and I'm happy we got it. But, lets not pretend this is the beginning of a turnaround just yet. MT may well lose the rest of the games on their schedule. I don't think anyone is disputing that we have some serious talent at the skill positions. My main problem is with the talent on our lines, because I feel that is where games are won and lost. MT had worse lines and we were able to take care of business. That won't be the case when we face the likes of UAB, LA Tech, and maybe even UTSA. Littrell still needs to go.

• Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Apples to oranges...

We got a much needed win against a really bad MT team, and I'm happy we got it. But, lets not pretend this is the beginning of a turnaround just yet. MT may well lose the rest of the games on their schedule. I don't think anyone is disputing that we have some serious talent at the skill positions. My main problem is with the talent on our lines, because I feel that is where games are won and lost. MT had worse lines and we were able to take care of business. That won't be the case when we face the likes of UAB, LA Tech, and maybe even UTSA. Littrell still needs to go.

No, Littrell does not need to go and isn't likely to go anywhere.   It would serve no purpose, the terminate him during the season.  Now if you want to find an extra few million to buy him out after the season go to it. 

A lot of people like you are downplaying the win.   Obviously, MTSU is a bad team if NT can beat them; so the game means nothing.  I will take any kind of win this season and this was an away game.   

This was NT's best game and it had a lot to do with most of the players being available to play.  Just like some of the losses were abetted by a lot of key players being out.  Coronavirus cannot be dismissed as a factor this year, no matter how many opine that every team has to deal with it.  

At this point, NT is actually favored in the next game.  So it will be a meaningless win, I suppose if NT prevails. 

Save your fire LIttrell mantra to after the end of season.   It won't happen, but at least it is a remote possibility. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No, Littrell does not need to go and isn't likely to go anywhere.   It would serve no purpose, the terminate him during the season.  Now if you want to find an extra few million to buy him out after the season go to it. 

A lot of people like you are downplaying the win.   Obviously, MTSU is a bad team if NT can beat them; so the game means nothing.  I will take any kind of win this season and this was an away game.   

This was NT's best game and it had a lot to do with most of the players being available to play.  Just like some of the losses were abetted by a lot of key players being out.  Coronavirus cannot be dismissed as a factor this year, no matter how many opine that every team has to deal with it.  

At this point, NT is actually favored in the next game.  So it will be a meaningless win, I suppose if NT prevails. 

Save your fire LIttrell mantra to after the end of season.   It won't happen, but at least it is a remote possibility. 

I have already explained that he should be allowed to finish the season, with the understanding that he would not return next season. I just don't want him back next year.

If you honestly think the other teams are not dealing with the same COVID issues, than I don't know what to tell you. You are choosing to only account for half of the factors. MT was down 6 players yesterday. Those are the facts.

North Texas is favored in our game against UTEP, but don't sleep on UTEP. They are 3-2 and gave LA Tech all they could handle in their last game.

I will not save my fire Littrell position for after the season. You have your opinion, and I respect that. I also have an opinion.  And in my opinion, our team will continue to be drug through the mud by the better teams we schedule as long as Littrell remains in charge. Yes we beat MT yesterday, but will they finish with a winning record? I doubt it. Until we begin beating winning programs, we still have major problems. I know it isn't popular to express this opinion on the board, but it is the truth.