Just an observation. The numbers are down across all sports for people watching. I thought numbers would be super high after the quarantine. (I realize some folks are annoyed listening to athletes lecture their opinions which hurts numbers. Especially with folks exhausted from the news and opinions.) That aside I think people probably view sports as less important now. The trails by my house have people on them a lot. As a cyclist I have long waIts on tune ups and have noticed more people on the road. Forget just walking in and getting a good affordable kid bike. The gym is a bit less crowded but forget finding weights for home. Golf is pretty crowded too. Those are just the things I do. I kind of think millions of people have found other things to do other than watch sports. I wonder if its permanent?

Seems it might really kill movie theaters too. $15 popcorn doesn't help that much either.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

I think a lot of things are contributing to the decline in viewership, including some of the things you mentioned.  But I think there's a surreal feel about the 2020 season, including the fact that there are no - or very few -- fans in the stands.  And the fake crowd noise  is just creepy.  Just not the same feel as a "real" season, so I haven't tuned in.  Getting my fix thru things like Last Chance U.

For me, there'll always be an asterisk next to 2020 sports.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GBarksdale said:

I think a lot of things are contributing to the decline in viewership, including some of the things you mentioned.  But I think there's a surreal feel about the 2020 season, including the fact that there are no - or very few -- fans in the stands.  And the fake crowd noise  is just creepy.  Just not the same feel as a "real" season, so I haven't tuned in.  Getting my fix thru things like Last Chance U.

Not to mention the major sports cannibalizing each other. I usually watch baseball and basketball because football is out of season. Now you had all three going at the same time and my mind doesn’t have the interest for the other 2 with football going.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 10:43 AM, GBarksdale said:

This is a lot of it for me. I'm still tuning in to the sports that have mostly stayed normal despite Covid: MLS and Formula 1, but I can barely even bring myself to watch college football with every other game getting postponed or cancelled. Baseball was insanely weird to watch without fans, like it made the game feel 10x's slower than it already does. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

This is a lot of it for me. I'm still tuning in to the sports that have mostly stayed normal despite Covid: MLS and Formula 1, but I can barely even bring myself to watch college football with every other game getting postponed or cancelled. Baseball was insanely weird to watch without fans, like it made the game feel 10x's slower than it already does. 

For me the piped in sounds are worse than having no sounds 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1