Jahmiah Simmons out for season

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/10/14/mens-basketball-simmons-to-miss-season-with-injury.aspx

North Texas men's basketball redshirt senior Jahmiah Simmons will miss the remainder of the season after sustaining an Achilles tendon injury during practice earlier this month. 

Simmons underwent surgery and he is recovering well.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This should mean a lot of his minutes go to Ousmane, right?   If so, this will be a good season for his growth!

I would think his minutes go more to Terence Lewis and Mykell Robinson. I think Ousmane is our backup 5, and Bell, Lewis, and Robinson will take the minutes at the 4. Those are the 5 guys (plus Zach Simmons) who will play the 4 and 5, and I honestly thought they’d all play over Jahmiah. He didn’t get rotation minutes last year, only foul trouble minutes.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I would think his minutes go more to Terence Lewis and Mykell Robinson. I think Ousmane is our backup 5, and Bell, Lewis, and Robinson will take the minutes at the 4. Those are the 5 guys (plus Zach Simmons) who will play the 4 and 5, and I honestly thought they’d all play over Jahmiah. He didn’t get rotation minutes last year, only foul trouble minutes.

That part seemed off, but you're absolutely right.    During non-conference play, he was averaging a shave under 10min/game.
After conference play started, he averaged under 4min/game.

I just recall a lot of time he spent on the floor was spelling Zach for a breather and McCasland going small, so I figured Ousmane would take those minutes as well, and not have to go small.   But yeah, Lewis will probably eat most, if not all, the minutes Jamaiah would have gotten.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That part seemed off, but you're absolutely right.    During non-conference play, he was averaging a shave under 10min/game.
After conference play started, he averaged under 4min/game.

I just recall a lot of time he spent on the floor was spelling Zach for a breather and McCasland going small, so I figured Ousmane would take those minutes as well, and not have to go small.   But yeah, Lewis will probably eat most, if not all, the minutes Jamaiah would have gotten.

And going along with those numbers, I think something similar probably would’ve happened. I would’ve expected him to get more minutes early in the season. This will just accelerate the on-court time for the new guys imo.

56 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I saw Abou has really made a transformation, weight wise, to be D1 ready.

I just wonder if we go small a lot like last year with Bell as the 5. Zach is just not that good vertically against the smaller teams, like most of C-USA, so I wonder if Mac keeps doing it. 

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork