Defensive Coordinator

MeanGreenTexan

I admit this made me laugh. You think during a pandemic UNT will make their highest paid assistant a secondary coach? I will be utterly shocked if this happened or if Bowen would accept it.

I think you are viewing Ek through rose colored glasses. He lived in a trailer while here, bounced on us then failed at UNC/Kansas. He hasn't shown the ability to stick anywhere and sometimes there is a reason for that.  There are some behind the scenes things that make me question his brain power from this season. He is an ok recruiter/energy guy but I would pass on this.

I'd prefer a clean break so the team could start over on D but this most likely scenario is that someone gets in Bowen's ear and we see an influx of younger players and more flexibility in his scheme instead of trying to hit a square peg into a round hole every game. With the performance we have seen and the eligibility rules in place it is crazy to not let the young guys start building up experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

5 minutes ago, xyresic said:

I admit this made me laugh. You think during a pandemic UNT will make their highest paid assistant a secondary coach? I will be utterly shocked if this happened or if Bowen would accept it.

I think you are viewing Ek through rose colored glasses. He lived in a trailer while here, bounced on us then failed at UNC/Kansas. He hasn't shown the ability to stick anywhere and sometimes there is a reason for that.  There are some behind the scenes things that make me question his brain power from this season. He is an ok recruiter/energy guy but I would pass on this.

I'd prefer a clean break so the team could start over on D but this most likely scenario is that someone gets in Bowen's ear and we see an influx of younger players and more flexibility in his scheme instead of trying to hit a square peg into a round hole every game. With the performance we have seen and the eligibility rules in place it is crazy to not let the young guys start building up experience.

Would Bowen stick around if he was 're-assigned'?  Or would he leave on his own?

I recall Ekeler living in the RV Park and taking the first train out of Denton, but I would think he might bring about a different philosophy that might work better than what Bowen's "screen door" defense is doing.   And he may parlay that into another P5 LB's coach job, but at least the 2020 UNT defense will be better.

• Upvote 1

Honestly at this point, I would take anyone over Bowen. Ekeler, Jennings, Scott, Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny.....Anyone

I feel that a small portion of our failures is personnel but the big issue is our play calling and coaching. These kids are not that bad to were we are giving up 40 plus points a game.

• Upvote 2

Last year was a bad year but I don’t think it was enough to throw Ref in the trash and throw a boatload of money at Bowen who was just happy to have a job someplace. I think sometimes we have such a what have you done for me lately attitude that we overlook the good of the recent past. He was replacing two NFL-caliber corners and a NFL-caliber linebacker too. Coaching defense opposite a tempo offense with a good amount of passing is incredibly difficult. Look at all of the great defensive minds that have looked bad facing these types of offenses? Gary Patterson was well known for his defensive prowess and then Meacham/Cumbie came to build his offense and he immediately fell from 30th in scoring defense to 54th. 

From MeanGreenSports.....In 2018, Reffett's defense took a major step forward, holding opponents to 10.8 points per game less than in 2017 (24.2 ppg). The defense played a key role in helping the Mean Green to their second straight nine-win season and third consecutive bowl appearance. UNT intercepted 18 passes, which ranked fifth in all of FBS (18) and forced 22 turnovers (third in Conference USA). The Mean Green also ranked fourth in the league in defensive third-down percentage, holding opponents to just a 35.0 percent success rate.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It puzzled me that we decided to get Bowen who was a Kansas DC. Not many people are that bold, even if he was already here like 9 years ago.

And when he was here the first time his successor proved to be WAY, WAY, more successful.

17 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Wouldn’t Ekler run a 3-3-5 as well? He ran that in 2016 with Reffett. I’d like to get someone in here to run a 4-3.

Ekeler was the 2nd Co-Defensive Coordinator hire.  Reff was first, and his 3-3-5 system was what Littrell wanted because he "wanted a defense that gave me fits when I coached offense against it...".   So Ekeler was essentially just assisting and coaching LBs under Reff's system.

Ekeler may have a different philosophy.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I believe we have a better Defensive Coordinator than Clint Bowen on staff currently:  Mike Ekeler.

I recall quite a few people on this board were upset when he left for UNC, thinking he was the better half of the Co-Defensive Coordinators back in 2016.   

Well, now he's back. 

I believe Littrell can "re-assign" Bowen to Safeties coach and make him take over Special Teams (they can't get much worse) so Ekeler can be the Defensive Coordinator, and if Bowen refuses, he can be fired without pay.

The defense is approaching Chris Cosh-level bad (if it's not there already).    What is there to lose?   The players LOVE Ekeler & his energy... maybe some of that can rub off on the players & they'll start getting stops.

It doesn’t matter who call the defense. I hate to say it but bottom line is the kids on defensive are NOT talented. No scheme can help with tackling, athleticism, and size. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Honestly at this point, I would take anyone over Bowen. Ekeler, Jennings, Scott, Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny.....Anyone

I feel that a small portion of our failures is personnel but the big issue is our play calling and coaching. These kids are not that bad to were we are giving up 40 plus points a game.

They are bad

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Positioning, pursuit, leverage, and wrapping up can all be coached up.

They probably are being coached up, which shows how little talent our defensive players had to begin with. Bowden is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I believe we have a better Defensive Coordinator than Clint Bowen on staff currently:  Mike Ekeler.

I recall quite a few people on this board were upset when he left for UNC, thinking he was the better half of the Co-Defensive Coordinators back in 2016.   

Well, now he's back. 

I believe Littrell can "re-assign" Bowen to Safeties coach and make him take over Special Teams (they can't get much worse) so Ekeler can be the Defensive Coordinator, and if Bowen refuses, he can be fired without pay.

The defense is approaching Chris Cosh-level bad (if it's not there already).    What is there to lose?   The players LOVE Ekeler & his energy... maybe some of that can rub off on the players & they'll start getting stops.

So...you want the guy that has been coaching our disastrous special teams to coach or equally as disastrous defense?  Eh, why not. Doubt it will make a difference. I was optimistic until Southern Miss. I bet we're the only team they will beat all year. 

• Upvote 2

I think the 3-3-5 became an "it" defense due to the success of Patterson and that system at TCU.  Like most systems, coaches catch up and learn how to attack and exploit a defense.  I understand coaches like it because of the flexibility it provides, but is it a long term option?

The argument I hear regarding why we don't shift to the 4-3 is because we don't have the personnel.  In looking at the roster, we have four players that could rotate at DT in Novil, LeBlanc, T. Johnson and Colvin with a few walk-ons that we really know nothing about but have the size to provide depth on the interior.  At DE we 6 players that could rotate in McCrae, Pickett, Dotson, Walker, Rausaw and Frow.  Doesn't look like an issue with players but an unwillingness to adjust by the coaching staff.  

In the end, I don't really care what we run, but I am worn out watching our opponents run through and around us like we aren't even there.  It is time to kick ass.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think the 3-3-5 became an "it" defense due to the success of Patterson and that system at TCU.  Like most systems, coaches catch up and learn how to attack and exploit a defense.  I understand coaches like it because of the flexibility it provides, but is it a long term option?

The argument I hear regarding why we don't shift to the 4-3 is because we don't have the personnel.  In looking at the roster, we have four players that could rotate at DT in Novil, LeBlanc, T. Johnson and Colvin with a few walk-ons that we really know nothing about but have the size to provide depth on the interior.  At DE we 6 players that could rotate in McCrae, Pickett, Dotson, Walker, Rausaw and Frow.  Doesn't look like an issue with players but an unwillingness to adjust by the coaching staff.  

In the end, I don't really care what we run, but I am worn out watching our opponents run through and around us like we aren't even there.  It is time to kick ass.

Yep....the funny thing is...the 2 most dominate teams in the country the past several years (Bama and Clemson) run a 4-3 and all they do is have the best defenses in the country every year. Seems that would be "it"

Some might say "yeah but they recruit 1st round DL talent every year"

Yeah...I wonder why? Maybe they want to play in a 4-3.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Yep....the funny thing is...the 2 most dominate teams in the country the past several years (Bama and Clemson) run a 4-3 and all they do is have the best defenses in the country every year. Seems that would be "it"

Some might say "yeah but they recruit 1st round DL talent every year"

Yeah...I wonder why? Maybe they want to play in a 4-3.

Could be that, could be wanting to play in the NFL, could be wanting to win a national championship, could be wanting to play for the two best coaches in college football. But you are probably right, I’d put having 4 down lineman instead of 3 as the reason they’d want to play at #1 Clemson or #2 Alabama.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1