DRC Sunday column: Change in Littrell's message underscores harsh reality -- UNT just isn't very good

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

And our coaching is not very good right now.

Agreed. This team has talent, but they are not well coached. Patrick Cobbs is probably the only one coaching right now. Hell I don't even think the receivers coach is coaching. Darden is coaching himself because the other receivers are running bad routes, quitting on routes, dropping balls. and they quit working when the QB gets in trouble instead of continuing to work to give him a target to throw to. I was talking to one of the defensive players Dad as I was leaving the stadium last night and he said his son plans to grad transfer after this season because he told him that the DC refuses to change the defense to fit their abilities. Now how true that is, I don't know, but I do know we are putting a horrible defensive product on the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

I’m a guy that loves defensive but I’m ok with the as long as the offensive scores more but regardless our guys have no grit there is no accountability from anybody! I see no guys yelling at guys to suck it up I truly see no heart! Evidently we need some leaders to appear but it looks like this ship has sunk.

KDavis needs to step up an lead. North Little Rock half back/ QB needs to stand up and lead. This team needs some leaders else they will except piss poor performance.

Edited by UNT 04
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, UNT 04 said:

I’m a guy that loves defensive but I’m ok with the as long as the offensive scores more but regardless our guys have no grit there is no accountability from anybody! I see no guys yelling at guys to suck it up I truly see no heart! Evidently we need some leaders to appear but it looks like this ship has sunk.

KDavis needs to step up an lead. North Little Rock half back/ QB needs to stand up and lead. This team needs some leaders else they will except piss poor performance.

KD Davis was knocked out with an injury. Oscar Addaway didn’t play last night.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

KD Davis was knocked out with an injury. Oscar Addaway didn’t play last night.

So all these players went through 2 days etc... Is there no one on this team that has any pride to hold his teammates accountable? I know when I was a senior I wouldn’t put up with this xxxx. I’m not calling out Davis or Addaway to be the ones accountable for this but I would like them to lead this team since ther doesn’t seem to be any leadership.

• Upvote 2

The post game interview is on Youtube and it had some continuous moments. Seth seemed to lose his cool a bit with Vito. And, had some stubborn moments that came off as being tone deaf.

You can watch it here.....

https://youtu.be/lKxaMmsSp-k

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Venson said:

I was talking to one of the defensive players Dad as I was leaving the stadium last night

I was evacuating the $6 beers in the HC Bathroom and proceeded to tell the guy next to me that I've never seen before in the HC area that we should fire Seth.  He told me the team was young and everything would be okay.  I followed that up with "Seth is the Jimbo Fisher of Conference USA, a big paycheck and nothing to show for it" and walked out.

Saw him leaving the HC later with his family, including kids and maybe a sister/girlfriend wearing Aune's name and number on her denim jacket.

So I told our QB1's dad during the 4th quarter that the best bet was to fire our head coach.

...and I'd do it again.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

i think we're gonna have a really tough time recruiting, but it's base on numerous things, and terrible record doesnt help much. 

But, SL is acting as the OC (or co-OC, I dont exactly know...not sure anyone does...) Our QB Coach had to leave a week before the season started due to his own issues...  At the very least, our first year DC should be fired, not sure what he's doing/running, but it's just a mess out there. 

So, my point is, SL seems to be spread really thin...Who is even DOING the recruiting given all of the moving parts described above?

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

i think we're gonna have a really tough time recruiting, but it's base on numerous things, and terrible record doesnt help much. 

But, SL is acting on the OC (or co-OC, I dont exactly know...not sure anyone does...) Our QB Coach had to leave a week before the season started due to his own issues...  At the very least, our first year DC should be fired, not sure what he's doing/running, but it's just a mess out there. 

But my point is, SL seems to be spread really thin...Who is even DOING the recruiting given all of the moving parts described above?

I dunno, but the simple fact that he hasn't backfilled Wallis' spot is 1 less recruiter out there working for us.

• Upvote 1

Our defense (albeit 4 true freshmen  were on the field much of the game the other night);  anyway, had SL & staff recruited “only” 2 pass rushing JUCO phenoms to create havoc on the opposing team’s QB, then suddenly the UNT secondary becomes better & the Mean Green play much better & maybe win 1 or 2 more games. 22AF585B-A8C0-4B86-8AA7-CF7CFA09DCB4.jpeg.a813c7e8244a9155bb4542f65b698d7c.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

On 10/12/2020 at 12:10 AM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I was evacuating the $6 beers in the HC Bathroom and proceeded to tell the guy next to me that I've never seen before in the HC area that we should fire Seth.  He told me the team was young and everything would be okay.  I followed that up with "Seth is the Jimbo Fisher of Conference USA, a big paycheck and nothing to show for it" and walked out.

Saw him leaving the HC later with his family, including kids and maybe a sister/girlfriend wearing Aune's name and number on her denim jacket.

So I told our QB1's dad during the 4th quarter that the best bet was to fire our head coach.

...and I'd do it again.

Two comments. 

1.  I get your frustration 100%.

2.  I would also trust the words of a parent of a player who would be much more in tune with the team than any of us fans would.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I’m as frustrated as anyone with what I’m seeing at Apogee & TV—but probably not nearly as much as WB, SL & staff. Their pre-season intention I’d wager was not to have a poor defense;  that is, a “D”  with no penetration of an opponent’s offensive line as to create the sacking of a QB or the running for his life. 

Admittedly, I’m  a novice with things I’ve never made a living doing & I’ve expressed the following thought before—but Simpleton Simon says:  I only see this team shy 2 consistent pass rushers of being able to get back on schedule of having enough wins to get a bowl;  a bowl for 40,000 MG fans to show up like we did in 2013 at Fair Park.
Other Side of the Ball? Our offense is going to be fine seems to be the sentiment of many on GMG.  

••• We all hope SL & his staff’s next influx of recruits fall in love with UNT & the Mean Green Village in their next 2 recruiting cycles. We hope they will be of such quality that it catches our program up with SMU & UH.  Such recruiting would probably translate to Top 25 rankings, getting & winning bowl games. First things first, though, so let’s get back to the winning formula. 

140E7CCC-C50E-44A7-B16F-08F7BBCA45C3.jpeg.eac5de8261225d554a097bf9a738a464.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1