đź‘€Looking Ahead Some Very Exciting Things Facility-Wise For Our Favorite University.

PlummMeanGreen

21 hours ago, Legend500 said:

This is smart.

Baseball is an idea that, despite UNT having been sniffing for donors now for 15 years, just doesn’t have enough interest to justify the expense of another stadium. 

If we’re going to add a sport, we need 1) something different than just doing baseball like everyone does, 2) something popular with incoming students, 3) something which requires minimal new facilities if travel is going to be an issue, 4) something that reaches into the prep school pipeline, because money, 5) less important, something with either no competition in the region, or that has one other team we could rival. 

To me, that means one of three options. Lacrosse, ice hockey, or men’s soccer. The first 2 would be unique in the region much less the state. The last two are equally or more popular with younger generations. The facilities for two are already built, and if we’re building a new HyperPit anyway, just an add-on to something we already have to do. Aside from American rules football, both Association and Rugby Union rules are very popular in the preps, and if they want to stay close to home, lacrosse and ice hockey players are SOL currently. Two of those make us the only game in the state, and the third further cements competition with SMU.

Baseball hasn’t happened yet because it just doesn’t offer anything new aside from another sport to be mediocre in, and the donors reflect that. 

Thanks for your response. No one here has ever described what any of my posts on here as "smart", so I am very emotional right now.

I will always be biased towards lacrosse, but could see a men's soccer team due to the success of the women's team and just how popular the sport is getting in America. I mean, even my hometown 2A high school has a soccer team now.

Hockey would be interesting. The Stars' run this year caught everyone's attention. I know there's a club team on campus but I know there's a big gap between club and NCAA. It'd definitely attract some out-of-staters, considering there's even fewer high schools in Texas playing hockey than lacrosse.

I'll get some down votes for this comment, but baseball's a dying sport anyway. I'm not sure many students would care for the team outside your Sports Management or Broadcast majors. After getting into lacrosse the past several years, I can't really stand to watch it for too long either.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Thanks for your response. No one here has ever described what any of my posts on here as "smart", so I am very emotional right now.

I will always be biased towards lacrosse, but could see a men's soccer team due to the success of the women's team and just how popular the sport is getting in America. I mean, even my hometown 2A high school has a soccer team now.

Hockey would be interesting. The Stars' run this year caught everyone's attention. I know there's a club team on campus but I know there's a big gap between club and NCAA. It'd definitely attract some out-of-staters, considering there's even fewer high schools in Texas playing hockey than lacrosse.

I'll get some down votes for this comment, but baseball's a dying sport anyway. I'm not sure many students would care for the team outside your Sports Management or Broadcast majors. After getting into lacrosse the past several years, I can't really stand to watch it for too long either.

Baseball as you term a dying sport is so far ahead of Lacrosse in fan interest that it is no contest. 

I am not advocating baseball either, it is a relatively expensive sport and the cost of baseball stadium is prohibitive. 

I also think it is past time, for the NCAA to change rules requiring 16 sports and that title 9 requirements be revisited.

NT generally does much better in women's sports than men's.  However, the total annual attendance of all woman sports doesn't equal one football game. 

Financial and fan interest should be taken into consideration in NCAA requirements.   I think NT is in good shape, but for more and more schools remaining D! may be in jeopardy due to having to fund so many sports.  

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Baseball as you term a dying sport is so far ahead of Lacrosse in fan interest that it is no contest.

Give it some time, especially with this ADHD generation. Not saying it'll overtake it any time soon, but the sports are on opposite trajectories. It needs to shed its Brad/Chad image/diversity problem. It would help if the athletic directors would push more to get the sport sanctioned by UIL.

• Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Give it some time, especially with this ADHD generation. Not saying it'll overtake it any time soon, but the sports are on opposite trajectories. It needs to shed its Brad/Chad image/diversity problem. It would help if the athletic directors would push more to get the sport sanctioned by UIL.

The numbers don't reflect this.  The 2017 participation report by USA Lacrosse, the most recent I could find, shows that a total of 826,983 people play the sport with 960 new participants.  Baseball has 25,000,000 youth participants alone.