👀Looking Ahead Some Very Exciting Things Facility-Wise For Our Favorite University.

PlummMeanGreen

Moving on.....

After reading this link on the UNT future facility's manifesto I had no idea that Apogee Stadium’s giant video screen will be moved (but I’d bet replaced by a much larger one)?

https://dentonrc.com/news/unt-to-unveil-facility-master-plan-for-athletics-this-morning/article_27318cfb-730c-5706-a9d9-3c7437bc246c.html

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Moving on.....

After reading this link on the UNT future facility's manifesto I had no idea that Apogee Stadium’s giant video screen will be moved (but I’d bet replaced by a much larger one)?

https://dentonrc.com/news/unt-to-unveil-facility-master-plan-for-athletics-this-morning/article_27318cfb-730c-5706-a9d9-3c7437bc246c.html

GMG!

Moving the scoreboards has been in the plans since Baker took over. He also wants to improve the PA/sound system in Apogee.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Moving the scoreboards has been in the plans since Baker took over. He also wants to improve the PA/sound system in Apogee.

I don’t like what they are trying to do with the scoreboards though. Corner score boards would suck 

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Moving on.....

GMG!

Smaller screen to help pay for our great head coach

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Here's my pitch:

If we're looking for another men's team sport in the immediate future, let's add lacrosse. You just built a beautiful new facility that has the right capacity (soccer stadium). We'd be the first school in Texas to add a Division I lacrosse program, beating out other schools with good club programs like SMU, UT and A&M.

The extra we'd spend in travel would be saved over building another stadium. The only other schools with D-I lacrosse on this side of the Mississippi right now are Denver, Air Force (for you UNT-to-the-MWC folks), and Utah. Plus we could build relationships with other programs with storied athletic programs like North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Syracuse...

Plus, let's face it. With lacrosse being a club sport in Texas and not UIL-sanctioned, it is essentially pay-to-play and the players tend to come from wealthy families. If Wren needs some donors to fulfill this master plan, a lacrosse team could bring some leads. 👀

Lastly, Fort Worth just got a new professional team playing at the new Dickies Arena in 2022. With less than 70 D-I programs in NCAA, you could see some professional Mean Green in a league other than the NFL!

I'll hang up now.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Moving on.....

After reading this link on the UNT future facility's manifesto I had no idea that Apogee Stadium’s giant video screen will be moved (but I’d bet replaced by a much larger one?

Nope. Plan is to have four smaller ones in the corners, opening up the end zone for an expanded elevated patio off the Athletic Center with game watching site lines for groups like the Lettermen’s Association. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Here's my pitch:

If we're looking for another men's team sport in the immediate future, let's add lacrosse. You just built a beautiful new facility that has the right capacity (soccer stadium). We'd be the first school in Texas to add a Division I lacrosse program, beating out other schools with good club programs like SMU, UT and A&M.

The extra we'd spend in travel would be saved over building another stadium. The only other schools with D-I lacrosse on this side of the Mississippi right now are Denver, Air Force (for you UNT-to-the-MWC folks), and Utah. Plus we could build relationships with other programs with storied athletic programs like North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Syracuse...

Plus, let's face it. With lacrosse being a club sport in Texas and not UIL-sanctioned, it is essentially pay-to-play and the players tend to come from wealthy families. If Wren needs some donors to fulfill this master plan, a lacrosse team could bring some leads. 👀

Lastly, Fort Worth just got a new professional team playing at the new Dickies Arena in 2022. With less than 70 D-I programs in NCAA, you could see some professional Mean Green in a league other than the NFL!

I'll hang up now.

Dr. Pepper is Running Anti-Lacrosse Ads Again and we Might Need to Boycott  – QuickStick

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Moving on.....

GMG!

No. The plan as I understand it is to replace the large scoreboard with 4 (1 in the corner of each end zone, and all of them roughly the same size of our current main board). Also, I believe the athletic center remodel will cause the facility to extend much closer to Apogee's south end zone, with multiple views of the field. If I looked at the renderings correctly, the new football locker room will be a 2 story space with an underground tunnel leading to the field. I imagine the players lounge will be on the 2nd story with a view of the field. If we actually get this, it will be amazing. But, with COVID and the current state of the Mean Green football program, I'd bet we'll be waiting quite a while.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Moving on.....

GMG!

That article is from 2018.  Even Internet Explorer is laughing at you. 🙂 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

That article is from 2018.  Even Internet Explorer is laughing at you. 🙂 

As long as a search engine is not laughing at me I’m fine.🙄

I was merely trying to change the subject from sacking & salting the far west side of the UNT campus—that’s all. (And as long as it made you laugh that’s all that counts). 🙃

Back in the day when we had these “the sky is falling “ moments (& those of us from the 60’s & 70’s have seen a few); anyway, back then we had no up to snuff football-related athletic venues for any coaching staff to seriously be able to sell recruits—albeit Fry, Corky & DD did OK, considering.

I guess that ancient 2 year old link suggests those days of looking down at our shoestrings hat in hand are mostly in our past now. When you follow UNT for almost half a century one learns to find a silver lining in a dark cloud.

GMG.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

8 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Nope. Plan is to have four smaller ones in the corners, opening up the end zone for an expanded elevated patio off the Athletic Center with game watching site lines for groups like the Lettermen’s Association. 

8 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

No. The plan as I understand it is to replace the large scoreboard with 4 (1 in the corner of each end zone, and all of them roughly the same size of our current main board). 

😒

Only at UNT would we take the standard fare like a easily seen centralized large video board in the end zone and chop the experience into multiple crappy ones in the corners.  No one does this.  Meanwhile P5's brag about their new huger end zone scoreboards.

I know Wren was obsessed with luxury offerings at Apogee (cabanas, bartop premium seats, etc), but can we slow the insanity down?  I'm the newest person in my Hub Club section and I'm 3 seasons in and the section is still at least 50% empty.  The lower bowl has probably 5k or fewer season tix holders.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

😒

Only at UNT would we take the standard fare like a easily seen centralized large video board in the end zone and chop the experience into multiple crappy ones in the corners.  No one does this.  Meanwhile P5's brag about their new huger end zone scoreboards.

Agree.

If we had a choice the much larger video board where the present one is would (I think) be the choice for most, but it would block the view of those on the veranda (if that hasn’t been removed from the Athletic Center blueprints).
So the problem is where would a much larger video screen be centrally located?  Only place would be the north end zone but that presents a problem unless...it’s put it in the middle center part of the Wing Zone seating while losing some seating capacity. 

I’m no fan of the Wing Zone but if we had the normal curvature end zone (see photo) then we’d have a place to put a much larger video screen.424C10F4-91B5-4C34-AD8A-59F0339B6F61.jpeg.d682f49e0d170078448b2a4cc314828c.jpeg

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I can barley make out the one we have and you say they will be smaller! YIKES! Going backwards....

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, at the moment we do have other priorities than a new (larger) Readers Digest large letter edition🙄 of a video scoreboard & yes—we can all look forward to another 3 or 4 year run of winning seasons & bowl games (& lest we forget we had 4 bowls in a row in the early 2000’s) so let the good times roll & let that begin sooner than later.

GMG!

PS:  Below is UH’s video scoreboard located in their west end zone. 7B0CD0E8-3DC8-485D-A528-FDBB1AB4A688.jpeg.ad2ae5d9690904b69519842eabc5d1d7.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Agree.

If we had a choice the much larger video board where the present one is would (I think) be the choice for most, but it would block the view of those on the veranda (if that hasn’t been removed from the Athletic Center blueprints).
So the problem is where would a much larger video screen be centrally located?  Only place would be the north end zone but that presents a problem unless...it’s put it in the middle center part of the Wing Zone seating while losing some seating capacity. 

I’m no fan of the Wing Zone but if we had the normal curvature end zone (see photo) then we’d have a place to put a much larger video screen.424C10F4-91B5-4C34-AD8A-59F0339B6F61.jpeg.d682f49e0d170078448b2a4cc314828c.jpeg

GMG!

I absolutely love what UAB is doing with their stadium.

Now don't get me wrong I love Apogee and most everything about it, but I wish we could've just added some features that would have made it 100 times better like a ribbon  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I absolutely love what UAB is doing with their stadium.

Now don't get me wrong I love Apogee and most everything about it, but I wish we could've just added some features that would have made it 100 times better like a ribbon  

The AD is there to answer the phone to take your donations.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

UNT will either keep advancing itself with the NCAA FBS athletic venues armed race no matter what our present state or we’ll just repeat bad history like we did by staying in an old football venue that should have been replaced 20-25 years before it was actually replaced.  
We’d still be in Fouts had some of the theories expressed on GMG been followed;  theories such as “we need to fill FF for 5 years before we build another stadium.” 

GMG!8946E186-4149-4CAB-96D8-A7B86C265447.jpeg.d8034a0e34e422ba3a917f2ad3956d1b.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:44 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Here's my pitch:

I'll hang up now.

This is smart.

Baseball is an idea that, despite UNT having been sniffing for donors now for 15 years, just doesn’t have enough interest to justify the expense of another stadium. 

If we’re going to add a sport, we need 1) something different than just doing baseball like everyone does, 2) something popular with incoming students, 3) something which requires minimal new facilities if travel is going to be an issue, 4) something that reaches into the prep school pipeline, because money, 5) less important, something with either no competition in the region, or that has one other team we could rival. 

To me, that means one of three options. Lacrosse, ice hockey, or men’s soccer. The first 2 would be unique in the region much less the state. The last two are equally or more popular with younger generations. The facilities for two are already built, and if we’re building a new HyperPit anyway, just an add-on to something we already have to do. Aside from American rules football, both Association and Rugby Union rules are very popular in the preps, and if they want to stay close to home, lacrosse and ice hockey players are SOL currently. Two of those make us the only game in the state, and the third further cements competition with SMU.

Baseball hasn’t happened yet because it just doesn’t offer anything new aside from another sport to be mediocre in, and the donors reflect that. 

• Upvote 1