Is Seth as football coach proving to be equally as bad as Tony Benford was to the basketball program?

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I could unpack some of this, but I'm not.  We have a small crowd of long-time regulars here, I know they read the board! but it's like they selectively ignore or can't see specific topics that have been discussed already, over and over.  I hope I don't sound accusatory; I just find this so odd.

Strange response, nothing like someone taking the time to state they are not going to respond.  

I don’t get that Littrell has checked out.  He has made some bad hires who are showing to not belong on this level.  But he’s quick and decisive and has shown that he can make tough decisions on coaches who have become friends/close.

I question what kind of network he has and is tapped into anymore.  He started out here by hitting home runs on several up and coming assistants.  He kept it up for the first few years as he had to replace guys who got poached.  That well appears to have dried up as he went back to some of those guys who were either already here or had been at bigger schools, not done well and are on the way down.  I, also, think that he’s brought in several coaches for their recruiting abilities, but who aren’t very good at actually coaching football.

Littrell needs to be able to zoom out and look at the whole team.  The defense is a shambles, but because he didn’t hire an OC the Tate Wallis thing means he’s having to spend too much time coaching quarterbacks.  It all comes down to staffing and hiring, and the only way out is to hit the network hard to find that next batch of up and comers who are hungry and want a shot at an FBS school.  Fire Littrell and the next guy will have to do the same.  It’s a never ending carousel here at the G5 level.  That’s the game.  So understand it, accept it and then go figure out how to win at it.  LaTech and Marshall certainly have.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Benford just put the bar so incredibly low. He really should have been fired after his second season, third at the very latest, arguably one could have even pulled the trigger after Benfords first season and there would hardly have been any uproar. He took a healthy program and had bad results from the start and it never got better and only got closer to also including of the court problems. How he got to a fifth season will always befuddle me.

Compared to that SL is a great coach. He at least showed some sort of competence in the first few seasons. Maybe he just cought lightining in a bottle with Fine/ Harrel, but he at least made some winning records and conference championship games out of it, something Benford never got close to. But what you compare to really matters here. SL is the highest paid coach in C-USA, and he simply hasn't been coaching like that at any point in his tenure. After starting with bad recruiting, SL has started to recruit top 5 on a regular base though, so once these become upper classmen, he might still turn it around. I do hope though, that WB has already looked towards the eject button for next year and is warming up his trigger finger in case SL doesn't improve clearly next season.

Edited by outoftown

On 10/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Littrell is not another Benford. Benford never won anything. Littrell is another McCarney. He came in to a situation that was a basket case and won with the fired coach's players. But neither was able to recruit well enough on the lines to win once they lost the last guy's talent. Littrell had two 9 win seasons early, and Mac had a bowl trophy early, but neither were able to sustain success.

100%

Two stages to Littrell's tenure: Stage 1, get us out of the toilet. He did that. Then he took that and went to stage 2, Pay me more for doing what I was hired to do or I'm leaving. UNT held up it's end...Seth Littrell certainly did not.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:13 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah... When's good timing to hit the alarm button then?

I think next season will be a good metric. 2020 is a wash. We know who our QB is. Offense is putting points up. Special Teams mental mistakes can be fixed. The Defense is a dumpster fire. Always being in poor field position with bad Special Teams is tough. Add no Defense to that equation and no offense has a chance.

The team seems to be heading in the wrong direction. 2020 is basically over already. If they don't fix the massive holes this off-season then changes have to be made. My thoughts anyway.