Is Seth as football coach proving to be equally as bad as Tony Benford was to the basketball program?

16 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Main difference I see is that Benford inherited a successful program while Seth did not.

Seth also has had success here. We haven’t won any trophies but Benford never even topped .500. 

edit: I guess we technically won a division title. Not sure if we got a trophy for that. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Benford is much, much worse than Seth. Benford completely flushed the program down the toilet while Seth has at least had some success here. 

I remember as a student I was so hyped going into Benford’s first year as head coach. It was immediately apparent how bad he was. I somehow watched almost every home game that first year, but haven’t been back to watch a BB game since. That’s how much damage Benford did. 

it safe to come back into the pit now.  

• Upvote 7

My observation is that Seth has checked out. He shows no emotion on the sideline whether bad or good. You look at opposing coaches that come in here and they get their teams pumped up and play to win. I see NONE of that on our sideline from the coaches or the players. Our sideline is dead/emotionless and it reflects on the field too. When Seth declined the K St. job, I believe his bubble was burst and so was his drive to win. I don't think he gives a damn about North Texas and wanted out at the first opportunity. Unfortunately, for all parties, that didn't happen.  Maybe he would have been happy at K St, done well, and moved on again. Possibly to his beloved OU.  Well, Coach, you're at UNT so $hit or get off the pot!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

My observation is that Seth has checked out. He shows no emotion on the sideline whether bad or good. You look at opposing coaches that come in here and they get their teams pumped up and play to win. I see NONE of that on our sideline from the coaches or the players. Our sideline is dead/emotionless and it reflects on the field too. When Seth declined the K St. job, I believe his bubble was burst and so was his drive to win. I don't think he gives a damn about North Texas and wanted out at the first opportunity. Unfortunately, for all parties, that didn't happen.  Maybe he would have been happy at K St, done well, and moved on again. Possibly to his beloved OU.  Well, Coach, you're at UNT so $hit or get off the pot!

This is dumb and makes no sense. He Has never been a “rah, rah” guy. Also,  how does it make sense that he turned down the k-state job and checked out? 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Never went to a Benford game but been to several since. IMO...Seth wins this discussion.

But the timing of Seth's courting. K-State contributed to our NM Bowl arse whipping. Since that loss it's pretty much been down hill for this program exception maybe recruiting. Will see.

• Upvote 1

The team is losing but I am not overly upset. We had a lot of players out with the rona last week. The team is playing bad but they aren't quitting like they did with McCarney. Really I am happy there is a season at all. A lot of sports aren't even playing. It sucks but I don't want to sound alarms yet. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

11 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

The team is losing but I am not overly upset. We had a lot of players out with the rona last week. The team is playing bad but they aren't quitting like they did with McCarney. Really I am happy there is a season at all. A lot of sports aren't even playing. It sucks but I don't want to sound alarms yet. 

Yeah... When's good timing to hit the alarm button then?

Littrell is not another Benford. Benford never won anything. Littrell is another McCarney. He came in to a situation that was a basket case and won with the fired coach's players. But neither was able to recruit well enough on the lines to win once they lost the last guy's talent. Littrell had two 9 win seasons early, and Mac had a bowl trophy early, but neither were able to sustain success.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

18 hours ago, Greendylan said:

The Seth Littrell era is effectively over, but due to money, it can't officially end for another 2-3 years, which means we will bottom out and finish last place in the division for a couple seasons and absolutely obliterate any credibility with fans/recruits that we had accrued from the Mason Fine era.  

Something is certainly way way off with this team. It may be that Seth has checked out. It could be some of his players checked out. It could be both. Whatever it is, this team hasn't been the same since the Kansas State job flirtation happened. It would seem those in leadership positions would be questioning the locker room culture of this team and coaching staff. Seth isn't going to be the head coach at OU. They simply have better options. We don't seem to have options other than to wait this ****show out. In all the disappointment and frustration, I really admire those on this board who still attend and watch. That's impressive.

• Upvote 2

Why do people keep bringing up the Kansas State job?  Seth was not offered the job and just about every G5 head coach is looking for a better gig. 

Benford couldn't coach and was replaced.  As will be Littrell if he can't turn it around next year.  Assuming he is not fired after this season, which probably would be optimal. 

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Why do people keep bringing up the Kansas State job?  Seth was not offered the job and just about every G5 head coach is looking for a better gig. 

Benford couldn't coach and was replaced.  As will be Littrell if he can't turn it around next year.  Assuming he is not fired after this season, which probably would be optimal. 

I could unpack some of this, but I'm not.  We have a small crowd of long-time regulars here, I know they read the board! but it's like they selectively ignore or can't see specific topics that have been discussed already, over and over.  I hope I don't sound accusatory; I just find this so odd.

Edited by greenminer
  • Confused 1