DRC: UNT press conference notebook -- Aune officially takes over at QB

Brett Vito

This is a good move. Now we need to make Kason Martin the #2 guy. 

The way Bean disengaged himself from the team last Saturday night makes one wonder if he is a team player. Look for Bean to transfer out after the season especially if we do indeed sign Drummond. Maybe Bean, if he can catch and with that incredible speed can be moved to receiver. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Quite a narrative this board is building up on the character of Bean. 

He didn't 'disengage'. He was running on the sideline to get warm. Tossing a ball now and then. 

I’m confused by this too. Is the expectation that he’s going to act like Kason Martin on the sidelines, or else that means he’s disengaged? Saw the same things you did.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

I wasn't sure about Bean his senior year when he wasn't starting. How many Division 1 QB's are there that didn't even start their senior year in HS?

Kyle Trask at Florida is a legit Heisman contender and he backed up D’eriq King at Manvel. But I think it’s also important to note that Bean did start his senior year. He started and played a good bit more than Rogers, the QB he was splitting time with, did.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Kyle Trask at Florida is a legit Heisman contender and he backed up D’eriq King at Manvel. But I think it’s also important to note that Bean did start his senior year. He started and played a good bit more than Rogers, the QB he was splitting time with, did.

Even though Trask was the backup, he still threw for 850 yards and 11 TDs. Being 6'5 225 lbs also helped 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m confused by this too. Is the expectation that he’s going to act like Kason Martin on the sidelines, or else that means he’s disengaged? Saw the same things you did.

I saw Bean just walking around and doing not a whole lot. Mainly distanced from others.

Also, do you know why Kason had number 80 on? Are they trying to make him a tight end lol

• Eye Roll 6

I mean if you start the first two games and do pretty well and then get the job taken away, you get a little bummed.

I blame Littrell more than anybody. He knew damn well who the starting quarterback was going to be for the conference slate but he wanted to do this cutesy game with SMU trying to make them prepare for both guys. We all saw how that worked out. Hopefully now with Aune getting the bulk of the snaps, the skill position players will have a better chance with getting the timing of a singular quarterback rather than having to prepare for the cadence and  ball of two different guys.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I saw Bean just walking around and doing not a whole lot. Mainly distanced from others.

Also, do you know why Kason had number 80 on? Are they trying to make him a tight end lol

Kason still shows at number 80 on the roster. On Brune’s podcast they said he played some special teams. Not sure why he can’t do that wearing number 17 but I don’t know. True Freshman Loronzo Thompson moved back to receiver and he has number 17 at the moment. A lot to keep up with 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Kason still shows at number 80 on the roster. On Brune’s podcast they said he played some special teams. Not sure why he can’t do that wearing number 17 but I don’t know. True Freshman Loronzo Thompson moved back to receiver and he has number 17 at the moment. A lot to keep up with 

Seems like we have people  changing numbers and positions every week...

17 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Quite a narrative this board is building up on the character of Bean. 

He didn't 'disengage'. He was running on the sideline to get warm. Tossing a ball now and then. 

Not true. I sit 10-20 feet from where he was standing majority of the time. I can see everything he does and clearly see his facial expressions. He was disengaged for about 80% of that game. Standing by himself, kicking the dirt (literally), playing with his helmet, occasionally watching a play - only to dramatically roll his eyes and drop his head when a pass goes incomplete. I remember so much detail because I couldn't stop watching him, wondering why not a single coach came over to him to tell him to quit pouting and get engaged. I also wondered if we hadn't lost our QB coach right before the season would he be the one to do some actual coaching and talk to him (doubtful).

Sitting so close to the side lines is a pretty cool experience, especially when we're winning and have a disciplined team. When we are in our current status, it's pretty depressing. It's extremely apparent that we have an undisciplined team. Here's just a few things I noticed:

1. While we're getting absolutely destroyed, I Players (not naming any specifically) on the side line are working on their dance moves and goofing around with each other. Not all of them, but an alarming amount. There were a handful of players who seemed like they had zero interest in the score.

2. I noticed one player specifically who was very upset about the situation but handling himself the completely wrong way: getting into a full blown argument on with the defender while the offense is trying to get lined up and losing his mind on the sidelines.

3. Coaches not performing any leadership responsibilities on the side lines. While the first two points (plus Bean) are happening - not a single coach is doing anything about it. The coaches are  frantically flipping through their play books and consistently yelling basic instructions that should have been thoroughly covered in practice. 

With all the negativity, I did notice some good things:

1. There are some true leaders on this team (I have so much respect for them considering how much it's lacking from the coaches). I wish I remembered their names or numbers but there was an offensive linemen who was working on technique with teammates off to the side. There was a defensive lineman who walked over to a player who just got a personal foul and gave him a stern talking (didn't see any input from the coaches on the matter). There was a young receiver who was trying to calm a veteran receiver down while he was going nuts over smack talk from the defender.

2. I don't know who this coach is, it kind of looked like Clint, but I'm not sure it was him - anyway, while we were totally getting our asses handed to us, the defense made a tackle for a loss and all the players started doing a coordinated dance on the field (while the USM offense is getting lined back up). This coach blew up, marched almost to mid-field where they were dancing, and aggressively told them to quit dancing and get lined up. They immediately stopped and got lined up like they should have already done - I didn't see much of this from any of the other coaches. 

Basically this a very undisciplined team and I don't see how we can beat anyone, maybe UTEP, but not much outside of them. That's a result of coaching. Not saying it's time to clean house, but I hope they realize this and get it together.

Edited by DemolitionDan
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

mad clint eastwood GIF
GET OFF MY LAWN! 

Dancing to the pump up music being played!
Not showing enough disappointment in losing! 
But still showing too much emotion and jawing at the opponent! 
But still showing too much emotion about not getting into game! 

What is going on with the 18 year old kids now a days!?!

These are young humans. Not robots.

Players showing emotions (gasp) by getting into the music/ambiance in the stadium, showing emotion by finally getting a TFL on a big down, or jawing with an opponent... those are normal parts of being human.  
You can understand Bean's rejected feelings and I am sure it will be a topic of conversation in this week's meetings. The second string QB is normally not responsible for signaling plays - normally that is the role of the third string QB.  

I remember a lot of the old guys on this board bagging on Martin because he dances and acts like a hype man and not a QB - and that shows he isn't taking it seriously. 

But for real. Bean can show disappointment. His actions played no role in the outcome of the game. Zero. There is no reason to make this some internet trial that he can't play or has terrible character... or maybe he just can't be a leader. That is a shameful overreaction. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't think @DemolitionDanwas implying that these "young humans" are robots.  Just pointing out what he observed.  I think there is a difference in Martin.  He is jumping around, "dancing" to get hyped up for kick-off's etc.  He isn't over there in his own world jacking around.  He is engaged in the game.

All I know about Bean is what I saw on television.  He was always shown standing alone with an emotionless expression on his face.  By comparison, when Torrey broke his TD run, guess who was the first to run down and congratulate him on the sideline...Siggers.  Another comparison would be Shanbour always meeting Fine when he came off the field after a drive.  The QB is looked to as a leader on a team.  Bean isn't exhibiting those qualities, at least when the camera was on him.

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Gaddie (another 17) also plays on Special Teams

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The starting QB for the #3 team in the country for starters

And he didn't start until his junior year at Florida.  Crazy they signed him considering his rating by the "recruiting experts" and his weak offer list outside of Florida.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kyle-Trask-82817/high-school-143613/

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And he didn't start until his junior year at Florida.  Crazy they signed him considering his rating by the "recruiting experts" and his weak offer list outside of Florida.

According to this list, outside of a premier P5 offer, he had zero other FBS offers and 3 FCS.

Something smells here.

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

According to this list, outside of a premier P5 offer, he had zero other FBS offers and 3 FCS.

Something smells here.

Diamonds in the rough do exist.  Kudos to Florida for finding one.

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Something smells here.

I don't think it sounds fishy.  Florida either did their homework or had a connection to him.  Trask was rated a 79 by 247 and I believe Fine was a 77 or 78, so their are diamonds out there.  You have to consider that he was working behind King at Manvel at obviously didn't get the exposure.  There are hits and misses out there all the time.