Aune’s 1st Start - Statistical Perspective

BillySee58

My brief take on the two QB's we have seen this year.

Aune: Doesn't have the swagger but does have a presence about him.  He doesn't hang his head when something doesn't go his way and has the arm to make the throws needed.  I liked what I saw when we were trying to come back in that he was constantly working to ge the O-Line set and really didn't make any terrible throws.  He is fast enough to get out of trouble and keeps his eyes downfield.  His age brings maturity to the position and I think the players respond to that.  He had a great high school career and then took a number of years off chasing his baseball dreams with the Yankees.  While being away from football hurt, the experience he gained serves him well.

Bean: Maybe it is just a personality difference, but he looks indifferent a lot of the time.  Because of this, he doesn't seem to inspire his teammates.  He throws a pretty ball at times, but they tend to float on him.  He needs size and strength to put some zip on the ball.  His speed, as we all know, is his greatest asset at this time.  I think SL would have to alter the game plan to fit his skill set and be successful.  The loss of reps that we lost due to the virus really hurt him.  We also tend to forget that he is probably 6 or 7 years younger than Aune and there is typically a natural maturity diffence.  I am not ready to give up on him, but he needs more time.  It also bothers me that he was basically relegated to second team for his senior year in high school.

So much for brevity.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The bus driver is all we need argument pops up here when we don’t have the right guy.

Not saying Aune can’t be decent to solid, but it’s not a good sign, historically speaking, that we’re having the discussion.

For my 25 years of watching this program we don’t have many winning seasons.  In my experience we have NEVER had a winning season when our QB wasn’t one of those IT guys.  

Hall and Fine are the two that stood out most, but Andrew Smith and Derek Thompson both had times where they showed IT factor.  They were all leaders and inspired their teammates with their play and guts.  Dodge had IT, also, but couldn’t stay healthy and played on terrible overall teams.

Its early on Aune, but he’s definitely not comparable to the list I just named and I agree with others who say he doesn’t pass the eye test.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Ok I will be brief.

What if Aunne is a quicker Derek Thompson? Would we accept senior year DT as his ceiling with a few more rushing yards? 

Senior year DT had the benefit of an all time great defense.

Aune does not

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Ok I will be brief.

What if Aunne is a quicker Derek Thompson? Would we accept senior year DT as his ceiling with a few more rushing yards? 

I would like to see what DT’s numbers would have been in this offense. But senior year DT in terms of yards/attempt and completion percentage were pretty solid. The 13 INTs part was not as great. I hope if Aune throws that many INTs it is coming with Mason Fine levels of yardage and TDs, or at least close to that.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I would like to see what DT’s numbers would have been in this offense. But senior year DT in terms of yards/attempt and completion percentage were pretty solid. The 13 INTs part was not as great. I hope if Aune throws that many INTs it is coming with Mason Fine levels of yardage and TDs, or at least close to that.

Yes I definitely meant more along the lines of completion percentage and TD/Int ratio. And not a bus driver QB just more along the lines of “level” of qb play.  Would have air raid-ish yardage plus some rushing yards.

AA will be fine. Comparing him to our few historically good QB's isn't fair to him. IMO...AA will get better and more confident as the season progresses. The offense will put some points on the board. 

The only major problem with our offense is our defense.

You can't play good defense when you continually have some of your best players quarantined.....

Somebody on defense has got to step up in order to beat UNC-C. UNT can beat them if that happens....

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Yes I definitely meant more along the lines of completion percentage and TD/Int ratio. And not a bus driver QB just more along the lines of “level” of qb play.  Would have air raid-ish yardage plus some rushing yards.

Yeah, I think DT was probably somewhere between the 3rd and 5th best QB in CUSA that year. If Aune can be that, hard to pass on that. But hopefully Aune can become that soon and not wait until his last year, which is looking like it won’t be until 2023 now. If he’s sophomore/junior DT caliber, I could see Drummond hopping him. That guy has more arm talent  coming out of high school than anyone from the Mccarney era by a lot.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1