Ok, Admins - I need a run-down of some of the reaction emoticons on here. Ray, Skeptical Eagle, RV, ... Obviously I don't need an explanation on the laughing reaction, upvote, downvote, etc.

Basically, I need to know what it means when someone "RV"-s one of my posts. 😁 

Sincerely,
An Alumni who came out of the RV era alive

• Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • RV 2

Language evolves. Across cultures, over time, from one mouth to another ear. 

So, while a lexicon may be perfectly valid for a given time and a given culture, that may or may not hold any weight or accurately convey the intended meaning for another day and another group.

To seek definition in any permanent sense is like trying to stack grains of sand. You can never truly succeed, and any progress you make is fleeting and unsteady, to say the least. 

That said... You asked for an admin's perspective. So, here's how *I* use these reactions. 

RV is easy. Whatever he was to you (the royal "You", not you specifically as the original poster quoted here), I can't know or comprehend. RV is many things to many people, and the spectrum runs wide.

But wherever you categorize him... Hero or villain, champion or failure, leader or disappointment... It is undeniable that the man was sexy as hell. This is thoroughly documented, and it is not in dispute.

So, when *I* use the RV reaction, it means that something in that post was attractive, arousing, appealing, shockingly erotic... Call it what you want. When a post makes the blood pump, likely as it circulates to the intimate extremities? The only proper reaction is an RV. 

Ray is more complicated. What is Ray? Is he a tragedy? A comedy? A cautionary tale? One of a litany of torments suffered by Nathan Tune as he faced a Job-like mountain of afflictions? 

When I think of Ray, I think of a suffering beast that managed to break free and find hope on his own terms. And that freedom from misery, however fleeting, gives me the sort of hope I seldom get to enjoy as a North Texas graduate and fan.

Like Butch and Sundance, guns blazing as they charge towards the Bolivian army... Like Thelma and Louise, hand-in-hand as they drive to the only freedom a hard world could offer them... Ray refused to surrender, Ray jumped that fence and ran into his own sunset. What came next? I have no idea. It's been more than 10 years, and that dog looked old and hungry even before he made his grand escape. In a way... It doesn't matter. Because Ray lives forever in a freeze frame of triumph. He's forever free of that chain, forever beyond that fence. He's living his own life, on his own terms, come what may. 

And that's what Ray means to me. He's a hero to the hopeless. He's a success story for the downtrodden. Ray is an INSPIRATION. So when a post inspires me? I give it a Ray. 

Skeptical Eagle is dumb. I don't like that one. Don't use Skeptical Eagle for anything. Down arrow it or roll eyes at it. 

I hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

So, while a lexicon may be perfectly valid for a given time and a given culture, that may or may not hold any weight or accurately convey the intended meaning for another day and another group.

To seek definition in any permanent sense is like trying to stack grains of sand. You can never truly succeed, and any progress you make is fleeting and unsteady, to say the least. 

That said... You asked for an admin's perspective. So, here's how *I* use these reactions. 

RV is easy. Whatever he was to you (the royal "You", not you specifically as the original poster quoted here), I can't know or comprehend. RV is many things to many people, and the spectrum runs wide.

But wherever you categorize him... Hero or villain, champion or failure, leader or disappointment... It is undeniable that the man was sexy as hell. This is thoroughly documented, and it is not in dispute.

So, when *I* use the RV reaction, it means that something in that post was attractive, arousing, appealing, shockingly erotic... Call it what you want. When a post makes the blood pump, likely as it circulates to the intimate extremities? The only proper reaction is an RV. 

Ray is more complicated. What is Ray? Is he a tragedy? A comedy? A cautionary tale? One of a litany of torments suffered by Nathan Tune as he faced a Job-like mountain of afflictions? 

When I think of Ray, I think of a suffering beast that managed to break free and find hope on his own terms. And that freedom from misery, however fleeting, gives me the sort of hope I seldom get to enjoy as a North Texas graduate and fan.

Like Butch and Sundance, guns blazing as they charge towards the Bolivian army... Like Thelma and Louise, hand-in-hand as they drive to the only freedom a hard world could offer them... Ray refused to surrender, Ray jumped that fence and ran into his own sunset. What came next? I have no idea. It's been more than 10 years, and that dog looked old and hungry even before he made his grand escape. In a way... It doesn't matter. Because Ray lives forever in a freeze frame of triumph. He's forever free of that chain, forever beyond that fence. He's living his own life, on his own terms, come what may. 

And that's what Ray means to me. He's a hero to the hopeless. He's a success story for the downtrodden. Ray is an INSPIRATION. So when a post inspires me? I give it a Ray. 

Skeptical Eagle is dumb. I don't like that one. Don't use Skeptical Eagle for anything. Down arrow it or roll eyes at it. 

I hope this helps. 

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I hope this helps. 

This explanation by far exceeded my expectations for a description of the reactions. Thanks for your wonderfully entertaining response! 😁

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 10/4/2020 at 1:46 AM, TheTastyGreek said:

I hope this helps. 

if one know where to look, you can find a "Ray Was Here" message pawed into the concrete of an I-35 median near a small stain in the passing lane. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 4
  • Downvote 5

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought Ray was extra good and RV was to click when you thought someone was full of shit.

Yes we agree on Ray, my thoughts were Ray was supposed to be the equivalent of legendary.

On RV, I always thought it was supposed to portray the post as #OldDenton or sort of the equivalent of the kids today calling everybody that has any life experience a “boomer” as an insult.

• Skeptical Eagle 1