Scotty Walden

UNTLifer

33 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Wow.  You don't often see a coach leaving one team for another in October. 

Especially leaving Southern Miss--where you'd have to think he had a good shot of being named permanent HC--for Austin Peay.

The perception of our conference is just skyrocketing.

• Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Especially leaving Southern Miss--where you'd have to think he had a good shot of being named permanent HC--for Austin Peay.

You have to think he took the Austin Peay offer to SoMiss and said, "Make me the HC permanently, or I'm taking this opportunity", and they said no.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Agreed, although I think he'll get scooped up by a P5, I'd personally love to see Billy Napier here, but never hurts to keep all options open

jason segel idk GIF

I said the same thing about Neal Brown when he was at Troy.    While some would see it as a lateral move (G5-to-G5), Napier's bank account would probably appreciate the bump.

But, I guess we have a few seasons to see if Littrell can do anything more.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Fans have noted Southern Miss recently said they would pay about $900k for their next head coach.  That was the writing on the wall that Walden wasn't getting the job.  They will get someone who actually has skins on the wall.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I would like to see SL's best recruiting classes become upperclassmen prior to cutting him loose.

I'm with you personally, but it's not a the best way to see things professionally.  Coaches are turning programs around somewhere every season after only 1 or 2 years on the new job.

I think the appropriate thing to do for SL is to see how 2021 plays out (the 2019 will be RS Sophs or True Jrs, right?) and make a call then.  You'll have a pretty good idea of the trajectory of this staff at that point.