The Big Con Job

TheColonyEagle

9 hours ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

I am not sure why you guys are down on Littrell - he has been successful where ever he has gone - he made changes after last year - letting coach Langston go - remember he was at OU with him - and letting Bodie  go as well . He made hard decisions but was decisive - he now has a dilemma with his new defensive coordinator- they I don’t predict will stay in this defense after this year - I think they have recruited to suit this defense but I think they will change - meaning they will go juco route to fill defensive needs - new offense that is putting points on the board with a new raw QB and new system then what they ran with mason . We will be scoring points as our QB gets better and we are healthy with that next great running back addaway - without any spring game and summer workouts this start is not surprising - SL is good and Wren Baker knows this - they will weather the storm and I predict next year we will be really good especially on offense - I know everybody is dealing with Covid but we are hit with key new players on both sides of the ball running new systems without much practice on both sides of the ball - take a step back and think about the future which is extremely good at UNT - 

I will say my most disappointing part of the team is special teams but they were playing Kasey martin on ST because they were short of players - didn’t we just have 53 active players last game - come on guys - you all are smart people you watch the game like me - start using your brain and not your heart when looking at this team - we all hurt when we lose and I am the   most competitive person that i know but I understand the predicament that we are in at this time 

sorry about the rant but just want people to think about what they are saying about the team they luv - I dont want to lose Littrell 

Well it was only common sense to let those guys go. Reeder was a waste of money if you ask me, Langston was just not getting it done as well as Reffet.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

I am not sure why you guys are down on Littrell - he has been successful where ever he has gone - he made changes after last year - letting coach Langston go - remember he was at OU with him - and letting Bodie  go as well . He made hard decisions but was decisive - he now has a dilemma with his new defensive coordinator- they I don’t predict will stay in this defense after this year - I think they have recruited to suit this defense but I think they will change - meaning they will go juco route to fill defensive needs - new offense that is putting points on the board with a new raw QB and new system then what they ran with mason . We will be scoring points as our QB gets better and we are healthy with that next great running back addaway - without any spring game and summer workouts this start is not surprising - SL is good and Wren Baker knows this - they will weather the storm and I predict next year we will be really good especially on offense - I know everybody is dealing with Covid but we are hit with key new players on both sides of the ball running new systems without much practice on both sides of the ball - take a step back and think about the future which is extremely good at UNT - 

I will say my most disappointing part of the team is special teams but they were playing Kasey martin on ST because they were short of players - didn’t we just have 53 active players last game - come on guys - you all are smart people you watch the game like me - start using your brain and not your heart when looking at this team - we all hurt when we lose and I am the   most competitive person that i know but I understand the predicament that we are in at this time 

sorry about the rant but just want people to think about what they are saying about the team they luv - I dont want to lose Littrell 

You're describing every single program right now during these times. UNT is not the only program trying to patch work position groups to fill team needs. It's running rampant throughout college football. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I never said a word about narrowing our search parameters outside of finding a successful coach that has run a program.  I don't want a McCarney and I don't want a Dodge, although I think he could have been successful with the correct assistant hires.  I want someone, preferably young, with a successful track record should we come to that point.  I haven't given up on SL, but if we don't improve throughout this remainder of this season and next then it is time to make a move.

I didn't look at McCarney and see an up and comer with a successful track record.

When we were hiring McCarney and subsequently SL, some of us were saying try a young up-and-comers like this guy.....

https://sfajacks.com/staff-directory/colby-carthel/326.......actually we were advocating for his dad Don, but he would have come along with the deal.

Or this guy....

https://seminoles.com/staff/chris-thomsen/

who might have had pretty good success here since both of them have the majority of their experience in Texas and both of them are known to be good recruiters. 

Thompson worked for this guy, who we thought well enough to hire as assistant AD.

https://meangreensports.com/staff-directory/jared-mosley/5

AND could either of these guys have cost us more to hire than either McCarney or SL?

AND would it be a safe assumption to say that BOTH of these candidates would have had a better idea as to what they were getting into than either McCarney or SL?

• Upvote 1

The question for me is our program significantly better today than it was 5 years ago? As of Saturday Littrell was 28 & 26 with 3 bowl appearances , the first being for academics generated by his predecessor. In fact, that overtime loss to Army was our best showing in a bowl game. Littrell caught lightening in a bottle with Mason Fine and Harold , and has not replaced them with people of the same talent, which admittedly is hard to do. However, we now find ourselves compared with  UTEP, UTSA, Rice, and Texas State, which shows how much our program has fallen. Over rated and over paid is my current assessment of Littrell, but I really hope I am proven  wrong.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

When we were hiring McCarney and subsequently SL, some of us were saying try a young up-and-comers like this guy.....

https://sfajacks.com/staff-directory/colby-carthel/326.......actually we were advocating for his dad Don, but he would have come along with the deal.

Or this guy....

https://seminoles.com/staff/chris-thomsen/

who might have had pretty good success here since both of them have the majority of their experience in Texas and both of them are known to be good recruiters. 

Thompson worked for this guy, who we thought well enough to hire as assistant AD.

https://meangreensports.com/staff-directory/jared-mosley/5

AND could either of these guys have cost us more to hire than either McCarney or SL?

AND would it be a safe assumption to say that BOTH of these candidates would have had a better idea as to what they were getting into than either McCarney or SL?

Thomsen was always my pick, just because he showed he could be a successful head coach at a college in Texas.

Look, When SL got the job, we were coming off a season where we suffered the worst loss in modern college football history and miraculously won one game in a season where we should’ve lost all of them. SL was smart enough to see when he got here that to run his offense, he had to immediately get rid of every QB that was on scholarship under McCarney and he did. That Mason Fine was found is a miracle, but SL’s ties to Oklahoma paid off. 

We are ahead of where we were when he got here. Our program was dead and it’s alive now, albeit not healthy AGAIN. But it’s not to the point where we lose to a FCS school at home by 59 points—hell, we beat the crap out of those teams now. 

Whoever is coaching here in 2022, be it SL still or someone else, make no mistake about it, the program will be much better to take over than it has been for anyone in the last 40 years.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Thomsen was always my pick, just because he showed he could be a successful head coach at a college in Texas.

Look, When SL got the job, we were coming off a season where we suffered the worst loss in modern college football history and miraculously won one game in a season where we should’ve lost all of them. SL was smart enough to see when he got here that to run his offense, he had to immediately get rid of every QB that was on scholarship under McCarney and he did. That Mason Fine was found is a miracle, but SL’s ties to Oklahoma paid off. 

We are ahead of where we were when he got here. Our program was dead and it’s alive now, albeit not healthy AGAIN. But it’s not to the point where we lose to a FCS school at home by 59 points—hell, we beat the crap out of those teams now. 

Whoever is coaching here in 2022, be it SL still or someone else, make no mistake about it, the program will be much better to take over than it has been for anyone in the last 40 years.

Well he certainly will have much better facilities than Hayden Fry could ever have dreamed of. On another note, the Western Division of CUSA is considered worst in country and ranked below SBC. Even if we win the division we are basically the best of the worst. Of course, at present we are arguably the worst of the worst.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

17 hours ago, wardly said:

Well he certainly will have much better facilities than Hayden Fry could ever have dreamed of. On another note, the Western Division of CUSA is considered worst in country and ranked below SBC. Even if we win the division we are basically the best of the worst. Of course, at present we are arguably the worst of the worst.

It’s ironic that we were considered the best of the worst in the early days of the SBC and we move to CUSA and it is still that way because our division and conference are considered the worst now.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Since the 2018 regular season ended, Littrell is:

3-11 vs FBS Competition

Avg score in those losses: Opp: 42 UNT: 24

Be careful, some fans don't want to hear about reality.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

18 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Be careful, some fans don't want to hear about reality.

A few things stick out about his last 14 games.

1. it's not that he loses....it's that he's not even competitive. averaging getting beaten by nearly 3 TDS per game in that span.

2. the defense is obviously bad....but where's the offense from this "offensive coach?" 24 points per game when he's not playing FCS or the UTEPs of the world

• Upvote 3

On 10/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Since the 2018 regular season ended, Littrell is:

3-11 vs FBS Competition

Avg score in those losses: Opp: 42 UNT: 24

Those numbers look like what you would expect from an FCS vs FBS schedule. That's just terrifying that we've fallen that far (again)

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, UNTLifer said:

I never said a word about narrowing our search parameters outside of finding a successful coach that has run a program.  I don't want a McCarney and I don't want a Dodge, although I think he could have been successful with the correct assistant hires.  I want someone, preferably young, with a successful track record should we come to that point.  I haven't given up on SL, but if we don't improve throughout this remainder of this season and next then it is time to make a move.

I didn't look at McCarney and see an up and comer with a successful track record.

McCarney was hired by our president,[whos name escapes me] not R.V. He and Rick flew down to Florida, interviewed Dan, and our president was sold.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, wardly said:

McCarney was hired by our president,[whos name escapes me] not R.V. He and Rick flew down to Florida, interviewed Dan, and our president was sold.

Gretchen Bataille was largely responsible for the Todd Dodge hire. The football coach could not make more than her as I remember. Obviously that limited the options.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

A few things stick out about his last 14 games.

1. it's not that he loses....it's that he's not even competitive. averaging getting beaten by nearly 3 TDS per game in that span.

2. the defense is obviously bad....but where's the offense from this "offensive coach?" 24 points per game when he's not playing FCS or the UTEPs of the world

And, North Texas pays Littrell more than Notre Dame pays Brian Kelly, and more than Boise State pays Bryan Harsin. Yet, some still make excuses for these results. Baker has to demand better from the highest paid employee at UNT.

Our football program has become one of the weakest links within our athletic department. It seems like most of the other sports are among the best in C-USA or at the least improving.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

And, North Texas pays Littrell more than Notre Dame pays Brian Kelly, and more than Boise State pays Bryan Harsin. Yet, some still make excuses for these results. Baker has to demand better from the highest paid employee at UNT.

Our football program has become one of the weakest links within our athletic department. It seems like most of the other sports are among the best in C-USA or at the least improving.

I think the lesson here is to not be a coach named Bryan or Brian. 

• Eye Roll 1

Seth is not producing for his salary with 0 bowl wins and no conference titles. His offense is abysmal this year with his defenses even worse. He had 4 years to find a replacement for Fine and failed at that. I honestly think, Seth thought he was going to be out of here before Fine left and never bothered with doing more. I e said it many times, Seth left his soul in Manhattan, KS. He’s done here...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1