The Big Con Job

TheColonyEagle

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It’s not Seth Littrell’s fault that our program is in this shape. 

It’s Wren Baker’s. 

Littrell’s agent completely used him. Wren was not prepared to handle Jimmy Sexton. 

What a scam. 

That’s why Jimmy Sexton is the top coaches agent in the country 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It’s not Seth Littrell’s fault that our program is in this shape. 

It’s Wren Baker’s. 

Littrell’s agent completely used him. Wren was not prepared to handle Jimmy Sexton. 

What a scam. 

I can't imagine Wren having the authority to make the contract extension without Neil's approval.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wardly said:

Timing is everything. If memory serves we were 9&4, had taken Arkansas to the wood shed, and Littrell was a hot property. I think Baker and powers to be had little choice than to give him a new contract with an extension. I don't remember a lot of grumbling at the time . Rather I think most of us were pleased to have "locked him up" for a while. Having said that, when you compare what Dykes has done in a shorter time at SMU to where our program is today it has to make you sick. 

Dykes is a helluva coach. And I truly believe he will head back home to coach at Tech in the near future. And SMU will hire Skip Holtz to move things along after this. 

I really don’t know if the next coach here will be Graham Harrell or if Baker goes and gets the head coach at Arkansas State to come here, just like we did with Coach McCasland.  But I truly believe we will have a new coach here for the 2022 season.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, drex said:

I am always suspicious of any SMU 'success.'  We will see if it bites them in a few years.

It might, but it sure hasn’t hurt them in these two years. At the G5 level, a great QB basically gives you a huge chance to make your season great. Buechele has been a gigantic find for them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I am not sure why you guys are down on Littrell - he has been successful where ever he has gone - he made changes after last year - letting coach Langston go - remember he was at OU with him - and letting Bodie  go as well . He made hard decisions but was decisive - he now has a dilemma with his new defensive coordinator- they I don’t predict will stay in this defense after this year - I think they have recruited to suit this defense but I think they will change - meaning they will go juco route to fill defensive needs - new offense that is putting points on the board with a new raw QB and new system then what they ran with mason . We will be scoring points as our QB gets better and we are healthy with that next great running back addaway - without any spring game and summer workouts this start is not surprising - SL is good and Wren Baker knows this - they will weather the storm and I predict next year we will be really good especially on offense - I know everybody is dealing with Covid but we are hit with key new players on both sides of the ball running new systems without much practice on both sides of the ball - take a step back and think about the future which is extremely good at UNT - 

I will say my most disappointing part of the team is special teams but they were playing Kasey martin on ST because they were short of players - didn’t we just have 53 active players last game - come on guys - you all are smart people you watch the game like me - start using your brain and not your heart when looking at this team - we all hurt when we lose and I am the   most competitive person that i know but I understand the predicament that we are in at this time 

sorry about the rant but just want people to think about what they are saying about the team they luv - I dont want to lose Littrell 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 10/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, 97and03 said:

Dude, not cool to dance on someone’s grave like that. Don’t we support small business owners?

After what RV put us through, not him. Let another small business take it.

Edit: Since I'm getting hate for this, I'm going to be more honest about my thoughts on RV. **** RV. He bought that ****** restaurant on the money paid to him by our university. **** RV.  I hope he has no success in the rest of his life unless it directly involves him handling feces by hand.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

I am not sure why you guys are down on Littrell - he has been successful where ever he has gone - he made changes after last year - letting coach Langston go - remember he was at OU with him - and letting Bodie  go as well . He made hard decisions but was decisive - he now has a dilemma with his new defensive coordinator- they I don’t predict will stay in this defense after this year - I think they have recruited to suit this defense but I think they will change - meaning they will go juco route to fill defensive needs - new offense that is putting points on the board with a new raw QB and new system then what they ran with mason . We will be scoring points as our QB gets better and we are healthy with that next great running back addaway - without any spring game and summer workouts this start is not surprising - SL is good and Wren Baker knows this - they will weather the storm and I predict next year we will be really good especially on offense - I know everybody is dealing with Covid but we are hit with key new players on both sides of the ball running new systems without much practice on both sides of the ball - take a step back and think about the future which is extremely good at UNT - 

I will say my most disappointing part of the team is special teams but they were playing Kasey martin on ST because they were short of players - didn’t we just have 53 active players last game - come on guys - you all are smart people you watch the game like me - start using your brain and not your heart when looking at this team - we all hurt when we lose and I am the   most competitive person that i know but I understand the predicament that we are in at this time 

sorry about the rant but just want people to think about what they are saying about the team they luv - I dont want to lose Littrell 

I think that is a fair assessment but I am still disappointed with the lack of discipline shown by players. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Any "fault" falls to Littrell and his coaching staff.

Seth's first few recruiting classes were bad.  He was fortunate to hit on Fine and a few receivers.  His past few recruiting classes have been among the best in CUSA but they are still underclassmen.  The best hope is this is a growing season for Aune and the kids.  Hopefully next season the talent of his most recent classes leads to success on the field and can continue year after year.  That's the best possible scenario.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, drex said:

I am always suspicious of any SMU 'success.'  We will see if it bites them in a few years.

Our main bugaboo with SMU & UH has most always been about where they’ve been in athletics (historically) vs. where we’ve been.  
Yes, SMU has been known to cheat in the past even using a Texas Governor one particular time to help them do it, but after we dismantled them at Apogee in 2018, they immediately got smart in their 20+ transfers recruiting of P-5 talent  & got themselves a Top 25 ranked team (as they are even ranked today) in doing so—while our favorite school didn’t.  
••• UH will always get prime beef with speed & quickness for linemen most years has come from right there in their talent rich area. The late, great Darrell Royal led the way for UH’s inclusion into the old SWC with one of his quotes that was said to be: “In recruiting they will now do so under SWC rules.”  
UH & SMU will remain a cut above until we find a way to equal them in recruiting, but let’s not wait until they come down in talent to equal that.

I think we all love the fact that we can no longer say it’s our lack of facilities anymore at UNT. 

850CC9C0-70DF-41BF-AD46-AF8C97CF72D5.jpeg

1F167BAF-4BEA-4B01-8D3B-8556488E5511.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Why do we always do this? Whatever the previous coach is, we need the exact opposite of him. After Dodge, we wanted an experienced coach and that was the only direction we’d go. That led us to a retread who had a good season but was left looking like a dinosaur in both on-field product and recruiting.

And his archaic offense and inability to develop/sign QBs and score points led us to narrowing our search to young and upcoming offensive coordinator types. Which led us to Littrell, a first-time HC. And if Littrell fails are we really going to keep doing this routine of “the last coach was an X type of coach, so we need the antithesis of an X type of coach.”

Littrell won here. The problem hasn’t been his lack of experience. But if we do at some point choose not to renew him or fire him and we’re looking for another HC, if we narrow our search parameters so tightly from the beginning because we don’t want a similar coach as the previous guy, we will deserve any failures of that hire.

I never said a word about narrowing our search parameters outside of finding a successful coach that has run a program.  I don't want a McCarney and I don't want a Dodge, although I think he could have been successful with the correct assistant hires.  I want someone, preferably young, with a successful track record should we come to that point.  I haven't given up on SL, but if we don't improve throughout this remainder of this season and next then it is time to make a move.

I didn't look at McCarney and see an up and comer with a successful track record.

Edited by UNTLifer