***Official Southern MIss vs. UNT In-Game Discussion***

Harry

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I think we can win with Aune and I think he has shown plenty on the field so far, and I expect him to improve as the season goes on. If he doesn’t, the quality of competition between an experienced Aune, Gilmore, and Drummond would give us a far better pool to pick from next year. I absolutely love Drummond’s arm talent and quality of his film. His numbers are absurd so far. Not as excited about Gilmore but I think he’ll be at least noticeably above Bean as a passer.

Defense is obviously the bigger concern. I think we have recruited a lot of quality talent in the younger players, but it’s going to take time for them to become plus players at the CUSA level. Until then Bowen and the staff have to put these players in better positions to succeed. We’re asking our defensive linemen to be strong enough to take on double teams all game and be fast enough to rush the passer and make plays on the edge, our linebackers are constantly getting o-linemen in their grill, and our DBs are being asked to come up on run plays and make tackles like they’re linebackers while the RB has a head of steam. It just looks like a constant uphill battle, even for the guys who we expected to be playing.

It seems like the secondary guys are playing instinctual football rather than fundamental.  I don’t think they know where they’re supposed to be in zone coverages.  I think that’s due to an early-season shift In philosophy... setting them up for failure (not to mention the lack of pass rush like you’re saying).

There are people defending this travesty. Different coaches, same people, interchangeable excuses. UNT is not in a covid bubble. Everyone is having to adapt to it. SoMiss didn't have the 2nd most important offensive player on any offense, their starting center. And yet they have running backs having career days on us. A true freshman back up running back at that. No matter the excuses or the year, under SL, opposing offensive players have had countless career days vs us. Covid is just the convenient excuse right now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There are people defending this travesty. Different coaches, same people, interchangeable excuses. UNT is not in a covid bubble. Everyone is having to adapt to it. SoMiss didn't have the 2nd most important offensive player on any offense, their starting center. And yet they have running backs having career days on us. A true freshman back up running back at that. No matter the excuses or the year, under SL, opposing offensive players have had countless career days vs us. Covid is just the convenient excuse right now. 

I’m not sure how long you’ve been around the program but what in the last 40 years would give you an indication that our next coach would be better than our current coach?  

Have you considered that he has the best record of any coach at North Texas in the last 40 years? 

We are out of sorts at the moment but Seth will get it back on track. Losing Harrell was a big blow and we haven’t  gotten back on track yet.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I’m not sure how long you’ve been around the program but what in the last 40 years would give you an indication that our next coach would be better than our current coach?  Have you considered that he has the best record of any coach at North Texas in the last 40 years. We are out of sorts at the moment but Seth will get it back on track. Losing Harrell was a big blow and we haven’t quite gotten back on track yet.

What makes you certain that he will get it back on track. What evidence points us in that direction? And 28-26 isn't a justifiable record just because the hires before him sucked worse. He is the highest paid coach in the conference. There are expectations attached to that and he isn't even remotely close to flirting with them. 5-11 since taking that money. I hope he's sending Harrell a monthly royalty fee. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What makes you certain that he will get it back on track. What evidence points us in that direction? And 28-26 isn't a justifiable record just because the hires before him sucked worse. He is the highest paid coach in the conference. There are expectations attached to that and he isn't even remotely close to flirting with them. 5-11 since taking that money. I hope he's sending Harrell a monthly royalty fee. 

I’m not certain but I have greater hope for our current coach than I do the next one. There were positive moments yesterday but we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. We have new coordinators in “all three phases” that the players are still adjusting to. If they don’t, Seth has shown no hesitation at running a guy off after one season. The facts are that he is the first coach another program has wanted to hire away from us since Jerry Moore in 1979ish. We shouldn’t hand him any raises or extensions but we should give him an opportunity to right the ship after a unexpectedly down year last year. This year is a mess, for everybody, not one program should be based long term on the outcome of this season which will be the most bizarre in any of our lifetimes.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not sure how long you’ve been around the program but what in the last 40 years would give you an indication that our next coach would be better than our current coach?  

Have you considered that he has the best record of any coach at North Texas in the last 40 years? 

We are out of sorts at the moment but Seth will get it back on track. Losing Harrell was a big blow and we haven’t  gotten back on track yet.

Better funding. Better facilities. Better admin support. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It’s really gotten troubling. We looked like a totally unprepared mess AGAIN yesterday. An interim coach beat us with a bad team at our place. Zero excuses for that.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I hate that it may be coming to this, but Littrell has made more in 4 years than most people make in their lifetime. And, he certainly hasn't earned his $1.865 million this year, or last year either.

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

You wanna bring the sign and I’ll bring the markers?

Do I need to get on to both of you now? 😆  *see previous response*
(Though I do tend to agree I don't believe he has earned that kind of salary, but again - Not the way to express disapproval of that 😉 )

Edited by Jessica M Hall
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jessica M Hall said:

(Though I do tend to agree I don't believe he has earned that kind of salary, but again - Not the way to express disapproval of that 😉 )

The cordial way to express disapproval is a well thought out and responsible email. We all know that email will get deleted and/or unread. They can't delete or not read bolded poster board. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The cordial way to express disapproval is a well thought out and responsible email. We all know that email will get deleted and/or unread. They can't delete or not read bolded poster board. 

I understand that and agree about the email getting deleted or just not responding to it. Seems silly to do with a poster at this point, but to each his own! 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You mean by firing the coach we aren’t satisfied with? Like we have with every single coach we’ve had since for the last 40 years?

Two years ago Seth was a couple staff members away from being a Big 12 head coach. Last season was a bust no doubt and he made significant staff changes as a result. Then Covid lockdowns came, no spring practice, limited fall camp, limited time to learn new offensive and defensive systems, then we lose our qb coach two days before the season begins while trying to break in two new quarterbacks to replace one of the best we have ever seen. Now we have a grad assistant coaching the quarterbacks who is the same age as our starting qb and is only 2 years removed from playing himself. We have had impact players sidelined bc of Covid testing and had JAGs out there playing defense that I can’t even find a recruiting page for. This season will be known as a one-off season for everybody. Look at Mississippi State, beat the defending National champion on the road and then come home to lose to a team on a 20-game conference losing streak. It is a weird season that I hope is forgotten as soon as it ends. If we suck next year, by all means, let’s start our every 5 year hiring process to find the next guy we will fire.

What a pessimistic view.  NT should not terminate a coach because it never works. 

First, NT is not just hanging on in D! with the bare minimum of investment.   That was the case, for most of the forty years you cite.  So every hire had to be from the bargain basement.  That ended with the hiring of Mac.

Every team is dealing with the same coronavirus environment.  It obviously puts a big element of chance in game results. 

Nothing will change during the season, Littrell will get an opportunity to benefit from his one game better theory.

After the season, he will be evaluated, and based on that, actions will be taken.  

Odds are high, that NT will do nothing no matter what the record is.   It will just cost too much to terminate Littrell. 

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

6 hours ago, Jessica M Hall said:

Fans are openly revolting at the games. No one is questionings Seth about his coaching or his lack of success in relation to his salary. Not Barnett and not Vito. Wren isn't addressing it either. Fans just want some acknowledgement that the administration recognizes the problems fans have and will fix it. You can't blame fans for airing their grievances through the only avenue available. If you have another way, that will not be ignored, I'd be glad to listen.

th?id=OIP.i5bcvvNSTJTjFr3iuJiJ6wHaEK%26p

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

8 hours ago, Jessica M Hall said:

I understand that and agree about the email getting deleted or just not responding to it. Seems silly to do with a poster at this point, but to each his own! 

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

If you have another way, that will not be ignored, I'd be glad to listen.

We now have at least 3 different podcasts dedicated to UNT/Dallas sports.  Seems like a good opportunity to get some admins or coaches on deck and ask the questions we need answers for.  I think that's a huge step above the signs.

I'm thinking of GMG.com's own Barbershop, @aztecskin's MeanGreenNation, and the newest on the block - The Game Break from @ChristopherRyanWilkes and Co.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

We now have at least 3 different podcasts dedicated to UNT/Dallas sports.  Seems like a good opportunity to get some admins or coaches on deck and ask the questions we need answers for.  I think that's a huge step above the signs.

I'm thinking of GMG.com's own Barbershop, @aztecskin's MeanGreenNation, and the newest on the block - The Game Break from @ChristopherRyanWilkes and Co.

What is this Barbershop podcast you speak of?   I haven’t heard of it (this year).

Oh, and don’t forget about the GMG.com Recruiting Show Podcast that @Harry does. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

What is this Barbershop podcast you speak of?   I haven’t heard of it (this year).

Oh, and don’t forget about the GMG.com Recruiting Show Podcast that @Harry does. 

We've had some scheduling issues as well as technical issues that we are working on.  Should be back in business this week for the show.

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

It takes some really good interview skills to get quality answers from a coach or admin. Seth is not super talkative or forthcoming even with season radio dudes.

I try to keep a little distance from the admin and staff because I don’t want to be too buddy-buddy.