***Official Southern MIss vs. UNT In-Game Discussion***

Harry

33 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Even though I am as disgusted as you are. This is a f’d up year. We were without 4 starters, including our top running back, and we lost our top receiver early in the game. This year is just going to about playing for next year and getting Aune or Bean ready to lead next year. Covid screwed this season in so many ways that it would be premature to fire any coach no matter how bad they are this season.

I would not be surprised to see a QB next year that is not one of the current two. With the Red shirts we have, and, if were able to keep Drummond, we might have our current starters as backups

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jessica M Hall said:

Don't be "that" guy ...

Regardless if you are hating him as a coach, he's still a human being. He doesn't need to be shamed within his own stadium with you clearly going out of your way to do so. Find another way to express your concerns.

Just my opinion. 😁

Lol I probably won’t but from that post game speech, it’s tempting

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Even though I am as disgusted as you are. This is a f’d up year. We were without 4 starters, including our top running back, and we lost our top receiver early in the game. This year is just going to about playing for next year and getting Aune or Bean ready to lead next year. Covid screwed this season in so many ways that it would be premature to fire any coach no matter how bad they are this season.

I am pretty frustrated by this but with the amount of players out due to Covid-related issues it is difficult to make a judgment. If we were losing like this with a full deck I would be furious. Right now I mostly worry more about the health and safety of the players. I think the lack of fire out there observed by some of you is worrisome although it might be pretty tough to get these guys fired up right now with everything all messed up from the virus. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Sorry but this is an excuse. Southern Miss was without starters too. Many teams are dealing with Covid. Covid doesn’t lead to all the turnovers and the lack of being prepared.Our coaching is pathetic and it’s about dang time we demand more as a program. 

• Upvote 1

So sad tonight to go looking at the current standings to se our beloved UNT alone in last place in the worst division in the worst conference in FBS.  Saw some poor decision making and some poor play calling tonight, IMHO.  

(Rant starting here)  Also, starting to wonder if it’s worth the risk going to these games.  Too many people not wearing their masks when they get to their section.  Sitting close to the aisle, it kinda pisses me off when people think it’s okay to take off their masks when they have to climb the stairs.  Also disappointed in a woman that watched the game from her seat in my section without a mask on while a couple rows behind two frail older women.  I wish we could all follow the rules to help us be able to get through this season.  (Rant over)

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would not be surprised to see a QB next year that is not one of the current two. With the Red shirts we have, and, if were able to keep Drummond, we might have our current starters as backups

I think we can win with Aune and I think he has shown plenty on the field so far, and I expect him to improve as the season goes on. If he doesn’t, the quality of competition between an experienced Aune, Gilmore, and Drummond would give us a far better pool to pick from next year. I absolutely love Drummond’s arm talent and quality of his film. His numbers are absurd so far. Not as excited about Gilmore but I think he’ll be at least noticeably above Bean as a passer.

Defense is obviously the bigger concern. I think we have recruited a lot of quality talent in the younger players, but it’s going to take time for them to become plus players at the CUSA level. Until then Bowen and the staff have to put these players in better positions to succeed. We’re asking our defensive linemen to be strong enough to take on double teams all game and be fast enough to rush the passer and make plays on the edge, our linebackers are constantly getting o-linemen in their grill, and our DBs are being asked to come up on run plays and make tackles like they’re linebackers while the RB has a head of steam. It just looks like a constant uphill battle, even for the guys who we expected to be playing.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Lol some dude named MeanGreenMan on Twitter was saying how we need Canales back as OC!🤣🤣🤣

Oh man what a night

Yeah that grown man use to dress up as a super hero and run out of the tunnel with Canales. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Guys, we haven’t gotten to the easier part of our schedule—the other Texas teams in CUSA. There are at least two wins in that group, I believe. 

Look at how Texas teams performed today against other non-Texas teams. Save for SMU, which clearly looks to be the best team in the state right now, we suck ass. Our defenses can’t tackle, our offenses are spread out, and our special teams are just bad. It’s soft. And we will get three of those teams to compete against soon enough. I had us at 4 or 5 wins this year. One over HBU, two or three against the Texas CUSA spares, and 1-2 against the others like MUTS or Charlotte. Maybe that’s too generous, but there is no doubt it will get easier. We don’t have the bodies or the mentality to physically play with these Southeastern based teams right now. LT, UAB, and USM just beat the absolute crap out of our lines every time we have played them over these last several games. 

It is what it is. Rebuilding, Covid, losing Graham Harrell, and losing Mason Fine, they all have majorly contributed to this season being where we are. Many of you didn’t want to believe this coming into the year, but this season was never going to be anything more than just learning as we go. We lucked out and missed two ass kickings on the road to A&M and UH. We might still catch a break and get a few others cancelled. But this was the season we were destined to have with all of these parts being newer, at QB, at both coordinators, and on the defense where we are so weak it isn’t funny. 

This was a shit game.  Defense doesn't show any sign of life until were down 3 scores and Aune and the receivers look like they were drunk.  Not to mention the special teams blunders and the fumbles.  

However, I was fine with the play calling for the most part.  We went in with a game plan and for the most part it worked.  Not so much the running game, but the passing game should have had 5 more touchdowns.  We were torching them all night.  We can't run the ball outside because our o-line isn't good enough, so we run up the middle and hope out good running backs can break one.  The running defense is bad.  Not sure how to fix this.  Also, I think we should go with Aune. He was bad tonight, but I think he's our best shot.  

• Upvote 3

We just got pounded by one of the worst teams in the worst division of the worst conference in all of the FBS. Littrell makes too much money for these results. At this point, I don't know if we will win another game this season. We now look a lot like the team that got McCarney fired. Littrell does not deserve to keep his job.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

So I’m thinking of bringing some signs next week that may or may not say “Fire Littrell”

I hate that it may be coming to this, but Littrell has made more in 4 years than most people make in their lifetime. And, he certainly hasn't earned his $1.865 million this year, or last year either.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Sorry but this is an excuse. Southern Miss was without starters too. Many teams are dealing with Covid. Covid doesn’t lead to all the turnovers and the lack of being prepared.Our coaching is pathetic and it’s about dang time we demand more as a program

You mean by firing the coach we aren’t satisfied with? Like we have with every single coach we’ve had since for the last 40 years?

Two years ago Seth was a couple staff members away from being a Big 12 head coach. Last season was a bust no doubt and he made significant staff changes as a result. Then Covid lockdowns came, no spring practice, limited fall camp, limited time to learn new offensive and defensive systems, then we lose our qb coach two days before the season begins while trying to break in two new quarterbacks to replace one of the best we have ever seen. Now we have a grad assistant coaching the quarterbacks who is the same age as our starting qb and is only 2 years removed from playing himself. We have had impact players sidelined bc of Covid testing and had JAGs out there playing defense that I can’t even find a recruiting page for. This season will be known as a one-off season for everybody. Look at Mississippi State, beat the defending National champion on the road and then come home to lose to a team on a 20-game conference losing streak. It is a weird season that I hope is forgotten as soon as it ends. If we suck next year, by all means, let’s start our every 5 year hiring process to find the next guy we will fire.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

8 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I hate that it may be coming to this, but Littrell has made more in 4 years than most people make in their lifetime. And, he certainly hasn't earned his $1.865 million this year, or last year either.

You wanna bring the sign and I’ll bring the markers?

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1