Ronnie Battle

Cooley

https://www.heavenlygates.net/obituary/MrRonnie-Battle?fbclid=IwAR0402WexGKKu4XQ32uUDtV0UpwZE5WLuzCdgFcZnrkILfOtzrWBCO1nVqg

Ronnie Jerome Battle (born March 27, 1959) is a former American football tight end who played two seasons in the National Football League. He was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the seventh round of the 1981 NFL Draft. He played college football at North Texas.

He is the father of NFL wide receiver Arnaz Battle.

Contents

Early yearsEdit

Battle attended Southwood High School in Shreveport, Louisiana.

College careerEdit

Battle played college football at North Texas.

Professional careerEdit

Los Angeles RamsEdit

Battle was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the seventh round (175th overall) of the 1981 NFL Draft. He appeared in four games as a rookie but did not record any statistics.

In 1982, Battle played in nine games for the Rams. He finished the season with two receptions for 62 yards and a touchdown. He also carried the ball once for one yard.

He left the NFL and professional football after the 1982 season due to a career ending thumb injury.

Ron Battle
No. 81
Position: Tight end
Personal information
Born: March 27, 1959(age 61)
Shreveport, Louisiana
Career information
College: North Texas
NFL Draft: 1981 / Round: 7 / Pick: 175
Career history
Career NFL statistics
Receptions: 2
Receiving yards: 62
Receiving touchdowns: 1
Player stats at NFL.com

Player stats at PFR

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4

I know this is off subject but it came to my mind when hearing about  Mr Battle's death. I attended  North Texas from  1978 to 81 and there were a number of players in some of my business classes. I can't Steve's last name who graduated in 1980 and was a 2nd string receiver. His dad was a chemistry professor and his family who were from Denton  owned a Physical Fitness Center down that main drag where there is an Albertson. Does anybody remember what his last name was? Thank you

7 hours ago, Danish43 said:

I know this is off subject but it came to my mind when hearing about  Mr Battle's death. I attended  North Texas from  1978 to 81 and there were a number of players in some of my business classes. I can't Steve's last name who graduated in 1980 and was a 2nd string receiver. His dad was a chemistry professor and his family who were from Denton  owned a Physical Fitness Center down that main drag where there is an Albertson. Does anybody remember what his last name was? Thank you

Steve Dieb?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/1979-roster.html

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

That's him.  His Dad wasn't a professor, but the chemistry teacher at Denton High.  We recruited his nephew out of Highland Park in SL's first year or two, but some off the field issues seemed to doom that signing.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

That's him.  His Dad wasn't a professor, but the chemistry teacher at Denton High.  We recruited his nephew out of Highland Park in SL's first year or two, but some off the field issues seemed to doom that signing.  

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it. Steve was really smart. He finished college in 4 years. I hope to look him up.

Kudos to both UNT 90 and UNT Lifer. The link you guys gave showed Bernard Jackson name who was murdered at the Mean Green Disco Club or whatever it was called.

I will always remember eating breakfast at McConnell Hall and one of the girls I was sitting with mentioned if I had heard about what had happened to Senior Bernard Jackson the night before. It took some time for it to sink in and it made me sick to my stomach when it finally sunk in.
We beat UTEP in our first game of the year in the Fall of 1978 and sophomore Bernard Jackson ran (can’t remember) a few hundred yards and scored so many touchdowns in our 55-0 route.
Boy, how you guys bring up players passing and it brings back so many memories of NT. Thanks again,

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

59 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it. Steve was really smart. He finished college in 4 years. I hope to look him up.

He has been in the automotive business and a partner to David McDavid, who is his brother-in-law, for years.  Keeps a pretty low profile.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/j-stephen-dieb-3879616/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danish43 said:

Kudos to both UNT 90 and UNT Lifer. The link you guys gave showed Bernard Jackson name who was murdered at the Mean Green Disco Club or whatever it was called.

I will always remember eating breakfast at McConnell Hall and one of the girls I was sitting with mentioned if I had heard about what had happened to Senior Bernard Jackson the night before. It took some time for it to sink in and it made me sick to my stomach when it finally sunk in.
We beat UTEP in our first game of the year in the Fall of 1978 and sophomore Bernard Jackson ran (can’t remember) a few hundred yards and scored so many touchdowns in our 55-0 route.
Boy, how you guys bring up players passing and it brings back so many memories of NT. Thanks again,

49-0 vs UTEP.  I think you are mixing up the UT schools. He gained 207 vs UTA later that year. He actually had more than that, but UTA starting catching up in the 4th quarter and when he was put back in the game, he lost some yards on a couple of carries. We held on the win 28-23.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He has been in the automotive business and a partner to David McDavid, who is his brother-in-law, for years.  Keeps a pretty low profile.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/j-stephen-dieb-3879616/

Lifer once again thank you. I read about David McDavid on linkedin. It was his son Sterling McDavid that SL tried to recruit a few years back.

3 hours ago, Danish43 said:

I don't recall hearing about that before.  Here is the NT Daily discussing the incident.  Tragic.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth332505/m1/9/zoom/?resolution=4&lat=4232.5&lon=2358

He sat next to me at a game a couple of years ago at a game.  When he introduced himself I said "Ron Battle, the original Iowa End".

He seemed very proud that I knew that.  He said he injured his knee and could not get into a stance, so Coach Fry just had him stand up.

I told him that was not the way I remembered the story.  He seemed puzzled.  I told him that the way I remembered it was that he wasn't going to block anybody anyway so Coach Fry just had him go ahead and stand up.  His buddies all got a big laugh.  Ron did not laugh quite as much.

UNT legend.

He seemed to be a good guy in the brief time I got to visit with him.

• Upvote 1