Fine Embraces Working With Drummond

UNTLifer

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Mason-Fine-embraces-opportunity-coaching-North-Texas-Mean-Green-commit-Bryce-Drummond-152216984/

“He is talented, has a great arm, and is strong, but there’s a lot of things in high school you can get away with,” Fine said. “You can be lacksadasickal with your reads, a little slow or late, but you can make up for it with your arm. Of course he can go out and put up great numbers, and I'm joking with coach Henno that I’m coaching a guy to break my records I set in high school, but it’s the small details that will let him walk into a quarterback room in college and be one step above where a true freshman would be.”

• Upvote 6

I don't think it is the offense that is the nightmare,  it is the defense that scares me the most. You would think if you could score 30 plus a game you be in pretty good shape but not with our defense.  I was not living in the area when Dodge was here, was his defense any worse than this one?

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't think it is the offense that is the nightmare,  it is the defense that scares me the most. You would think if you could score 30 plus a game you be in pretty good shape but not with our defense.  I was not living in the area when Dodge was here, was his defense any worse than this one?

Absolutely.  He made the mistake of bringing his high school DC with him.  He was a train wreck.

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

So much worse...   And that was with a LB corps including Tobe Nwigwe & Craig Robertson... some of the best LBs to play here since I've been watching. 

On 10/1/2020 at 9:01 AM, UNTLifer said:

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Mason-Fine-embraces-opportunity-coaching-North-Texas-Mean-Green-commit-Bryce-Drummond-152216984/

“He is talented, has a great arm, and is strong, but there’s a lot of things in high school you can get away with,” Fine said. “You can be lacksadasickal with your reads, a little slow or late, but you can make up for it with your arm. Of course he can go out and put up great numbers, and I'm joking with coach Henno that I’m coaching a guy to break my records I set in high school, but it’s the small details that will let him walk into a quarterback room in college and be one step above where a true freshman would be.”

If he chooses the path, there is no doubt in my mind this man will be an excellent coach. He gets it and seems to have the mannerism to make those around him better.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Drummond played linebacker for several plays in their last game.

12 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Keep in mind, Dodge coached a game where UNT scored 62 points and still lost.  That’s some bad defense. 
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=273140249

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Keep in mind, Dodge coached a game where UNT scored 62 points and still lost.  That’s some bad defense. 
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=273140249

There is no comparison. This defense is young and talented but needs game experience. No real problem with the scheme. 
The Mendoza defense under Dodge was hopeless due to the DC not having a clue. 

25 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

There is no comparison. This defense is young and talented but needs game experience. No real problem with the scheme. 
The Mendoza defense under Dodge was hopeless due to the DC not having a clue. 

Every time I see something about his coordinators I can only wonder what might have been if Dodge had hired/been able to hire experienced college coordinators. 

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Every time I see something about his coordinators I can only wonder what might have been if Dodge had hired/been able to hire experienced college coordinators. 

We would have lost to Rice 50-27 instead in 2008. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1