All bowl games are back on, but...

Christopher Walker

From The Athletic's Stewart Mandel:

So, does that mean all 41 scheduled bowls be played this season?

“Absolutely,” Football Bowl Association Executive Director Nick Carparelli said Monday. “With all the conferences playing, (the NCAA waiver) is not necessarily to ensure enough teams are available, but just to ensure the conferences can fulfill their agreements without having to worry about which teams are .500 or better.”

And let me tell you something: Having now gone through this exercise for the first time this year, there will be some well-below .500 teams participating. In fact, the SEC and ACC, depending on how many New Year’s Six berths they receive, could send nearly their entire leagues to bowl games. I have 13 SEC teams, and one of the matchups I projected would pit 4-7 Florida State against 2-8 Vanderbilt. I’m not kidding.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

All strictly G5-assigned bowls will be maintained, but I would expect absolutely minimum latitude for there to be P5-G5 pairings of any kind this bowl season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

don't count on one for us, and with our defense I don't want to be in one.  The SMUT massacre was enough for the nation to see.

Not like we can't improve throughout the season.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

You are right they have pinpointed the problem and it is full speed ahead.  Better hope for major improvements during the season.

I know we don't want to be embarrassed on national TV, but I can't dismiss the value of those extra practices.

For fun, it might be interesting to see how much extra football a player gets over the course of his career if he goes to a bowl every season.  Off the top of my head, is a senior at Alabama playing with one or two extra seasons' worth of practices compared to an NMSU player of the same age/eligibility?

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

I know we don't want to be embarrassed on national TV, but I can't dismiss the value of those extra practices.

For fun, it might be interesting to see how much extra football a player gets over the course of his career if he goes to a bowl every season.  Off the top of my head, is a senior at Alabama playing with one or two extra seasons' worth of practices compared to an NMSU player of the same age/eligibility?

Works both ways. Four year player would also take almost a full season of hits. Lots of wear and tear on bodies for a profession that doesn’t have a long shelf life, especially RBs. 

• Eye Roll 1